Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times

Advertisements

I am unsure of what truth really is, but I can say that the bible…
…if read in order from beginning to end…
…will make logical sense within itself.

Many inconsistencies pointed out are due to rule changes between the old and new testaments. The gospel in particular will clear up what the the changes were.

I am trying to discern truth myself, so I'm probably not the most stable one here…
…but there are others…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I am unsure of what truth really is, but I can say that the bible…
…if read in order from beginning to end…
…will make logical sense within itself.

Many inconsistencies pointed out are due to rule changes between the old and new testaments. The gospel in particular will clear up what the the changes were.

I am trying to discern truth myself, so I'm probably not the most stable one here…
…but there are others…
If you forget the insupportable doctrines of the whole Bible being directly from God and internally consistent as well as inerrant, then look at the Old Testament as a history of the development of perceptions of God that culminated in the New Testament, you should do alright, especially if you consider that the OT is largely the result of a bronze age culture in a time and place of great conflict, but with some very bright lights.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If you forget the insupportable doctrines of the whole Bible being directly from God and internally consistent as well as inerrant, then look at the Old Testament as a history of the development of perceptions of God that culminated in the New Testament, you should do alright, especially if you consider that the OT is largely the result of a bronze age culture in a time and place of great conflict, but with some very bright lights.
Is it directly from God? That, my friend, takes more research.

I can not provide a definitive argument either way…

Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
My church is offering a course on the gnostic gospels this fall. Last year it was a course on Islam (its supernatural foundational elements as well "supported" as Christianity's.) I wonder how many Christian churches regularly review the true record of that which belies the foundation of their belief systems.

Last edited by bUU; 07-09-2013 at 03:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity