Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: Christian Mysticism (which is Spiritual NOT Carnal) predates the formal Bible canon and was rejected by the carnal minds who politically convened to decide what would be acceptable "precepts and doctrines." It is the carnal "precepts and doctrines of men" that we are warned about . . . NOT the spiritual guidance the scriptures were supposed to provide.

Bottom line: Christ is the ONLY Way to God because no other human consciousness achieved God's consciousness (Holy Spirit), period. The ONLY human consciousness within the collective human consciousness that IS the Holy Spirit (Comforter) is Christ's. His death and rebirth as Spirit ensured that we would have the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Comforter) within our consciousness . . . unlike our ancestors prior to Christ who only sporadically had contact through gifted prophets to mitigate our savagery and prepare us for Christ.

The New Covenant is only possible because of Christ. His Holy Spirit (Comforter) provides us the necessary guidance to what God has "written in our hearts" so we do not need anyone to teach us and we can all know God as Christ revealed Him to us. The kingdom of God is within and Christ is there to teach us directly what is truth and what is not and . . . it is no lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
There is a link between new age mysticism and Christian teachings but how and what applies to your own life really depends on the individual and their own personal experiences.
<snip>
But what doesn't make sense to me even on an intuitive level is that how can Jesus say, "No one can come to me unless sent by the father" and then we expect everyone to come to him and follow.

I don't think Christianity is for everyone though all are welcome and I don't think that it's every man's job to create disciples through preaching or proselytization though I'm not opposed to sharing. But I think people's lives are so unique that you have to find a way that helps accentuate the best you and some people are ruthless and their worst self under Christianity.
It doesn't make sense because you are using the corrupted version of Christianity of the mainstream Christian churches whose focus is on increasing and maintaining MEMBERSHIP. Did you read my full post above? . . . I repeated the main excerpt for you. The requirement is STRUCTURAL . . . part of the Physics of our reality . . . NOT volitional. It is based on the content of the existing collective human consciousness, period. IOW there is no other way ANY human consciousness can connect with God other than through Christ's human consciousness (Holy Spirit . . .also called the Comforter) . . . regardless what they know or do not know, think or do not think, believe or do not believe. It is a mandatory structural feature of where human consciousness resides after its production, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It doesn't make sense because you are using the corrupted version of Christianity of the mainstream Christian churches whose focus is on increasing and maintaining MEMBERSHIP. Did you read my full post above? . . . I repeated the main excerpt for you. The requirement is STRUCTURAL . . . part of the Physics of our reality . . . NOT volitional. It is based on the content of the existing collective human consciousness, period. IOW there is no other way ANY human consciousness can connect with God other than through Christ's human consciousness (Holy Spirit . . .also called the Comforter) . . . regardless what they know or do not know, think or do not think, believe or do not believe. It is a mandatory structural feature of where human consciousness resides after its production, period.
Uhhh, hi mystic.

While I feel your passion and don't fully disagree with the the parts you bolded, I don't think that's something you can force down someone's throat. They have to come to that perception themselves which is why I'm so opposed to proselytization, no matter how strongly you feel it.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Which Christianity is riddled with. Come out from among it and be ye seperate. God is not in the religious organization called Christianity, He didnt come to organize, He came to call us to follow His teachings that lead to life more abundantly.

They don't tell you this in church of the 100% bible believer on a Sunday.
How does this relate to the topic

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How does this relate to the topic
From a reader's perspective it is saying that the "Christianity" of the topic is ill defined, that real Christianity is not what traditional organizations are about either. One might even read into it that some of the "new age" perceptions are closer to Christian teachings than many Christian churches.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
From a reader's perspective it is saying that the "Christianity" of the topic is ill defined, that real Christianity is not what traditional organizations are about either. One might even read into it that some of the "new age" perceptions are closer to Christian teachings than many Christian churches.
Some people use every opportunity to rip the Christian church. The topic is new age. "New age" has the word "new" in it, because it was invented in the 20th century. New agers can believe in just about anything and while some throw Jesus in the mix, many others do not. If you want to claim new age is closer to Christianity than Christianity itself, then be my guest.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
Quote:
Some people use every opportunity to rip the Christian church. The topic is new age. "New age" has the word "new" in it, because it was invented in the 20th century. New agers can believe in just about anything and while some throw Jesus in the mix, many others do not. If you want to claim new age is closer to Christianity than Christianity itself, then be my guest.
How nice of you to give people your permission to see things as they do. You are quite incredible.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,682 times
Quote:
No theological dog in the fight, but I think sometimes people overlook the history of Christian mysticism. What is being labeled as "new age" is in some cases not new at all. Christianity in virtually all its forms has has mystic strains running through it for its entire history. Visions, ecstatic utterances, meditation, chanting, finding your "inner light", these practices may never have been orthodox, but they have been a part of Christianity since its inception.

You may believe that are misguided, wrong, or heretical, but it should at least be acknowledged that that have a long lasting place in Christian history, and are not the invention of a bunch of 1960's hippies with crystals.

-NoCapo

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
No theological dog in the fight, but I think sometimes people overlook the history of Christian mysticism. What is being labeled as "new age" is in some cases not new at all. Christianity in virtually all its forms has has mystic strains running through it for its entire history. Visions, ecstatic utterances, meditation, chanting, finding your "inner light", these practices may never have been orthodox, but they have been a part of Christianity since its inception.

You may believe that are misguided, wrong, or heretical, but it should at least be acknowledged that that have a long lasting place in Christian history, and are not the invention of a bunch of 1960's hippies with crystals.

-NoCapo
Amen. Faith is mystical by its very nature.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
<snip> "New age" has the word "new" in it, because it was invented in the 20th century.<snip>
I don't know much about the movement, but even I know that isn't true. Perhaps you were just trying to make a point, but the term New Age has to do with the idea that an important change, or a new era, is being ushered in for humanity. Anyway, as I understand it, it is an amalgamation of many older religions, so it's hardly new.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 AM

796 posts, read 858,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I still say pure love and grace is better shown by simply forgiving others without requiring anyone to take the wrath.
I would say God has the right to decide what He wants and we are not in a position to tell Him He is wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity