U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,289 posts, read 20,103,715 times
Reputation: 12995

Advertisements

My sister in law is a dyed-in-the-wool atheist who was very outspoken about her non-belief in God. Our family come from Catholic background. My brother is not very religious, but he has extensive knowledge about Christianity and the Bible. They have a very successful strong loving relationship because both of them have been mature enough to be respectful towards other people's beliefs.

I think it is worth mentioning that my family simply don't see atheists as a threat to a religion. Instead, I think my brothers and I see many atheists as people who have well-thought-out beliefs.

One question they had was how they would raise my nephew. So far, my nephew has not been baptized which is fine by our family. My nephew is four years old right now and they haven't talked about if Jesus Christ should be introduced to his life. While neither has a definite answer, they both feel like giving the child a broad range of religious experiences is the best way to go.

My brother wants to provide the child with answers from multiple sources — what mommy believes, what daddy believes, and what others believe. So when my nephew is old enough, he can make up his own mind.

My sister in law on the other hand, is inclined to raise my nephew without a particular religion.

At the end of the day, how do they plan on raising my nephew is their joint decision. I love my brother and nephew dearly with all my heart, I just want them to be happy. However, I am curious to know how do others raise their children in term of religion?

Should Jesus Christ be at least introduced to a child, or should a child be raised without God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Florida -
8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
Reputation: 16634
I've often heard people say, "I'm going to let my kids get old enough to decide for themselves, rather than teach them about God." ... I can't help but, wonder if they take the same approach with drugs, work, respect, prejudice and other major issues of life.

The Bible says, "Train-up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." If parents abandon the role of guiding children, the world will 'fill the gap' ... with predictably dismal results. On the other hand, they are probably better off than if their parents teach them 'foolishness' ... such as the absurd notion that there is no God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Reputation: 12628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've often heard people say, "I'm going to let my kids get old enough to decide for themselves, rather than teach them about God." ... I can't help but, wonder if they take the same approach with drugs, work, respect, prejudice and other major issues of life.

The Bible says, "Train-up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." If parents abandon the role of guiding children, the world will 'fill the gap' ... with predictably dismal results. On the other hand, they are probably better off than if their parents teach them 'foolishness' ... such as the absurd notion that there is no God.
That sounds suspiciously like brainwashing to me...I think a better idea is to teach your children to think for themselves, so they have the tools to choose the path they wish to follow in life. This is the approach I took....I am an atheist, but three of my five children are not....We should all make our own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Florida -
8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
Reputation: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That sounds suspiciously like brainwashing to me...I think a better idea is to teach your children to think for themselves, so they have the tools to choose the path they wish to follow in life. This is the approach I took....I am an atheist, but three of my five children are not....We should all make our own choices.
Perhaps, but, in too many cases, "teaching children to think for themselves" ... means teaching them NOT to believe in God. Which one is really 'brainwashing?' The old saying, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is clearly evidenced by human example. Children tend to learn more from what their parents do, rather than from what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,113,999 times
Reputation: 1399
My wife is a non-practicing Catholic and I am an Atheist who has very warm feelings toward Christianity.

We told our kids a little about religion and bought them a children's Bible but they never read it. When we drove to Gettysburg Battlefield, we sometimes stopped at the shrine for Mary Seton, the first Catholic saint from the Americas, because the place is so beautiful. We also got an Agape record with semi-religious songs. That's about it.

They never asked questions about religion.

Now our daughter is 39 and our son is 35, both happily married with two kids each. They both believe in a god but I don't think it is even semi-important to them. My son recently got baptized Episcopalian when their younger daughter was baptized, so I guess religion is a litte more important to him than it is to our daughter.

To be honest, we are amazed we could raise two such wonderful young people.

I hope your nephew turns out as well, maybe even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,629,841 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My sister in law is a dyed-in-the-wool atheist who was very outspoken about her non-belief in God. Our family come from Catholic background. My brother is not very religious, but he has extensive knowledge about Christianity and the Bible. They have a very successful strong loving relationship because both of them have been mature enough to be respectful towards other people's beliefs.

I think it is worth mentioning that my family simply don't see atheists as a threat to a religion. Instead, I think my brothers and I see many atheists as people who have well-thought-out beliefs.

One question they had was how they would raise my nephew. So far, my nephew has not been baptized which is fine by our family. My nephew is four years old right now and they haven't talked about if Jesus Christ should be introduced to his life. While neither has a definite answer, they both feel like giving the child a broad range of religious experiences is the best way to go.

My brother wants to provide the child with answers from multiple sources what mommy believes, what daddy believes, and what others believe. So when my nephew is old enough, he can make up his own mind.

My sister in law on the other hand, is inclined to raise my nephew without a particular religion.

At the end of the day, how do they plan on raising my nephew is their joint decision. I love my brother and nephew dearly with all my heart, I just want them to be happy. However, I am curious to know how do others raise their children in term of religion?

Should Jesus Christ be at least introduced to a child, or should a child be raised without God?
The great thing about this country is that they can choose to raise the kid religious or not. If God wants to save the child, he will learn about Christ later in life.

Having said that, I doubt very much that your sister is telling him NOTHING about God. If she's an outspoken atheist chances are that the kid will grow up with either the same mindset, or will possibly rebel and embrace religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,289 posts, read 20,103,715 times
Reputation: 12995
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
My wife is a non-practicing Catholic and I am an Atheist who has very warm feelings toward Christianity.

We told our kids a little about religion and bought them a children's Bible but they never read it. When we drove to Gettysburg Battlefield, we sometimes stopped at the shrine for Mary Seton, the first Catholic saint from the Americas, because the place is so beautiful. We also got an Agape record with semi-religious songs. That's about it.

They never asked questions about religion.

Now our daughter is 39 and our son is 35, both happily married with two kids each. They both believe in a god but I don't think it is even semi-important to them. My son recently got baptized Episcopalian when their younger daughter was baptized, so I guess religion is a litte more important to him than it is to our daughter.

To be honest, we are amazed we could raise two such wonderful young people.

I hope your nephew turns out as well, maybe even better.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Very uplifting and encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top