Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

No, the Bible makes it clear that a false teacher claims to speak for God. To speak as a judge against sinners. I don't really hear that kind of message from Osteen. To encourage people is to show them truth and love.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Joel IS a designed motivational speaker as it's the core of his ministry. I find his scriptual pop ups in keeping with mainstream
christian foundation in the word. If he is a false teacher so are
the apostles and Billy Graham!. I prefer Sid Roth, Jonathan Bernis,John Hagee, Jim Bakker, Rabbi Schneider, Perry Stone , Jonathan Cahn over Joel personally but love Joel and his wife.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
All Joel Olsteen does is tell you what you want to hear. If he dared to speak to his congregation and tell them as believers, they should not commit X,Y,Z sins, alot would leave. You can see why many refer to him as Christianity Lite.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I would say Christianity realistic. I am not religious, but Mind-body-spirit does work as a reference point. How we think, why we think, and how we feel about things is important when trying to do the best we can. I think we should try to line those three things up.

Although I don't watch the guy because he is way to "gushy" for me the self help potion of his stuff is sound. weather you believe in god or not. I don't like the "bible based religion" thingie he says all the time, but that is small compared to how many people he seems to help.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

1,100 posts, read 795,914 times
In response to the OP; these words here prove that Joel Osteen's message is contrary to His will.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. 13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

As far as marking Joel as a false prophet, any one that edifies falsely and thus erring from the faith, is one.

I am not saying Joel is not saved; just that his message is in need of reproof in lining up with His words as any believer's testimony needs correction, but he should be disqualified as a leader to be listened to & followed until he does repent.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:02 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
One of my favorite preachers/Bible expositors is Dr. John MacArthur from Grace Community Church in California. I love listening to his sermons online and reading his books.

Yesterday I came across this short video on YouTube where he is exposing Joel Osteen as a false teacher.

John MacArthur Rebukes Joel Osteen - YouTube

I have never been a fan of Joel because I feel he waters down the Gospel and is more of a motivational speaker with Jesus added at the end of every speech. Now I believe he is really a wolf in sheep's clothing. He has such a likeable personality and smile, but if you really pay attention to him, he actually takes many scriptures out of context. I'm not saying he is knowingly leading people astray, but it's always bothered me that he has so many congregants. Are these people just having their ears tickled?

What are your thoughts?

I am not a follower of Joel Osteen, but I would rather hear him speak than this guy.

It's not up to me to take anyone's inventory when it comes to "spiritual correctness" or apostasy.

Simply, if you don't like Osteen, don't attend his church, watch him on television or read his publications.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
One of my favorite preachers/Bible expositors is Dr. John MacArthur from Grace Community Church in California. I love listening to his sermons online and reading his books.

Yesterday I came across this short video on YouTube where he is exposing Joel Osteen as a false teacher.

John MacArthur Rebukes Joel Osteen - YouTube

I have never been a fan of Joel because I feel he waters down the Gospel and is more of a motivational speaker with Jesus added at the end of every speech. Now I believe he is really a wolf in sheep's clothing. He has such a likeable personality and smile, but if you really pay attention to him, he actually takes many scriptures out of context. I'm not saying he is knowingly leading people astray, but it's always bothered me that he has so many congregants. Are these people just having their ears tickled?

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are, i feel that the John Macarthur ministry along with Piper and all the other clones of thrm are of the anti Christ apostate church.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
This is one of those "idiot" test questions, right?

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 795,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not a follower of Joel Osteen, but I would rather hear him speak than this guy.

It's not up to me to take anyone's inventory when it comes to "spiritual correctness" or apostasy.

Simply, if you don't like Osteen, don't attend his church, watch him on television or read his publications.
There is cause to point out those that teach contrary teachings.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. 13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

As far as marking Joel as a false prophet, any one that edifies falsely and thus erring from the faith, is one.

I am not saying Joel is not saved; just that his message is in need of reproof in lining up with His words as any believer's testimony needs correction, but he should be disqualified as a leader to be listened to & followed in seeking after gain as if that is godliness and thus he does repent.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Any one claiming to be a teacher of God has 0 right to tell another-- you are saved-- or born again-- it gives them an excuse to keep on sinning.

Fact---- Not a single mortal has seen a single name written in the book of life---- Not a single mortal can read anothers true heart---- not a single mortal knows who will endure till the end( Matt 10:22)--- all they have is theory and ear tickling words---from these--RUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity