Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, I found this video on a Christian forum. I hope the video link works.

YouTube - United Church of Christ BANNED Commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:24 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,252 times
so is that how rapture will be like? lol

Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,413 times
I'm curious what everyone thinks about the message in that video. Anyone want to discuss it?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the commercial.... it was funny!! Then I calmed down and watched it again. It does have the right message - God doesn't reject anyone, no matter who they are. I don't believe churches or the people in the churches have the right to turn anyone away who is truly seeking to know or learn more about the God of the Bible.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM

What about the obviously gay couple?

The UCoC believes that homosexuality is a morally acceptable lifestyle. Do you still believe the message in the commercial is the right one?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
What about the obviously gay couple?

The UCoC believes that homosexuality is a morally acceptable lifestyle. Do you still believe the message in the commercial is the right one?
Some people or churches seem to use the term "God doesn't turn anyone away, God loves everyone," etc in an incorrect way... altho really, the statements are true. But the thing is, God doesn't stop there... He wants to work in, change, and guide our life. Just because He loves us, does in no way mean He is satisfied with how we are living. Important distinction, IMO.

God loves us, .........He does not love the sin in our life.

Many churches leave off the last part ^, and they are actually saying that God loves sin... because they love the sin too!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Some people or churches seem to use the term "God doesn't turn anyone away, God loves everyone," etc in an incorrect way... altho really, the statements are true. But the thing is, God doesn't stop there... He wants to work in, change, and guide our life. Just because He loves us, does in no way mean He is satisfied with how we are living. Important distinction, IMO.

God loves us, .........He does not love the sin in our life.

Many churches leave off the last part ^, and they are actually saying that God loves sin... because they love the sin too!

I know what you're saying. I'm just asking if people would still approve the message of that UCoC commercial, knowing that the UCoC actually does believe homosexuality is morally acceptable.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
I know what you're saying. I'm just asking if people would still approve the message of that UCoC commercial, knowing that the UCoC actually does believe homosexuality is morally acceptable.
Well, that's what I was kinda meaning... the message is distorted, IMO.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
See, I knew it was gonna come around to this .

Yes, I noticed the obviously gay couple. Here's the point in my mind: no church has the right to refuse anyone admittance to a service or to attend. As I said in another post, a gay man I know attends my former church.

However, what the commercial doesn't get into is what cg81 touched on. Yes, those who identify themselves as homosexual can attend church, but the church still needs to preach the word of God. It should not sugar-coat what God's word teaches on any subject. However, a church should still love any person and show them God's love and what God's word teaches and how to better understand themselves in light of God's word... what he expects from us in all aspects of our lives whether it's sin, finances, marriage, sex... whatever.

I did not know the UCoC approved of homosexual behavior. As they do and within that context, even though I don't agree, I don't see why the commercial should be banned. It would be better, I think, to air the commercial, letting everyone know that everyone is welcome, but then follow through on what I outlined above. Then if they chose to leave, that's up to the individual.

The general message that all are welcome to God is a good and correct message. But, again, it has to be followed by love, example, and teaching of what following Christ entails, what is expected of us in all aspects of our lives.

So what was the deal with the other guy... the single guy with darker skin and dark hair .. apparent Middle-Eastern origin??... Muslim??

Old 11-09-2007, 05:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
This is the link that I tried to post that was supposedly blank yesterday "something upbeat
Thank-you John1960, for posting this thread in light of my deleted thread

Outside the mind of Mark Lowry - funnies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity