Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times

Advertisements

Actually, I attended a mega-church in Pacific Grove, CA. and Calvary Chapel when it was in a circus tent in the early 70's. Both great experiences.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Easy, Reformed theology that makes what you believe all that is required rather than how it is lived out through your life, and actively discourages offering opportunities to do good works for fear of "having something to boast about." Heck, Calvin's perception of a micromanaging God is the sort of insanity cults are made of.
You obviously don't have a clue about "Reformed Theology". Historically, the reformed Churches have given more to those in need than any other branch of Christianity. My own rock solid Reformed church does not even have a church building and we give a huge % of our budget to those in need. All over the globe Reformed missionaries are working to help people and also I must add preach the Gospel of Jesus to a lost and hurting world.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
I really don't want to offend anyone, but most of the protestant groups from America like the Southern Baptists, Methodists and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are considered cults by most Austrians.

I guess it's similar to the fact that some Americans don't consider Catholics to be Christians.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I really don't want to offend anyone, but most of the protestant groups from America like the Southern Baptists, Methodists and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are considered cults by most Austrians.

I guess it's similar to the fact that some Americans don't consider Catholics to be Christians.

Methodists are cult members?? Good grief, this denomination is more middle-of-the-road than any other Protestant denomination I can think of!

Sounds as if Austria would benefit by the presence of some American United Methodist missionaries, just to get a more realistic view.

Disclaimer: My family has been (United) Methodist for at least six generations, on my mother's side, and one of my paternal g-grandfathers was an ordained (Southern) Methodist minister.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM

796 posts, read 858,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

Well I don't worry too much about people who wanted to join Hitler and his Third Reich think I am part of a cult. But I am not a protestant even though most want to call me that. I come from a line of Christians that descend from Jesus until today without ever becoming a part of the Roman church or her descendants.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Methodists are cult members?? Good grief, this denomination is more middle-of-the-road than any other Protestant denomination I can think of!

Sounds as if Austria would benefit by the presence of some American United Methodist missionaries, just to get a more realistic view.

Disclaimer: My family has been (United) Methodist for at least six generations, on my mother's side, and one of my paternal g-grandfathers was an ordained (Southern) Methodist minister.
Honestly, I don't consider them to be cult members. it's just that this denominations are basically unknown here.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Well I don't worry too much about people who wanted to join Hitler and his Third Reich think I am part of a cult.
The approximately 40% of Austrians who were in favor of Anschluss in 1938 are directing current thinking from the grave?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM

132 posts, read 182,574 times
Quote:
Well I don't worry too much about people who wanted to join Hitler and his Third Reich think I am part of a cult. But I am not a protestant even though most want to call me that. I come from a line of Christians that descend from Jesus until today without ever becoming a part of the Roman church or her descendants.
What is that line, pray tell?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

796 posts, read 858,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post
What is that line, pray tell?
It's called Christian. Jesus did not start a man made organization even though some Christians may be involved in an organization in addition to Christ Church.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM

132 posts, read 182,574 times
Quote:
It's called Christian. Jesus did not start a man made organization even though some Christians may be involved in an organization in addition to Christ Church.
So you can trace your lineage back over 2,000 years? Wish I could, although my Church was founded back then; what about yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity