U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM

505 posts, read 460,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Despite the other responses, this is real and not an allegory.

Why? Good question. I don't think the Bible states why.

I do think the ground is linked to Adam's (and our) physical body. Remember that Adam was made in the image of God - which includes body, soul, and spirit. The soul and spirit were not cursed. So maybe it was a means of punishment and separating Himself from sin while allowing for redemption through Jesus Christ. So our current bodies return to the ground. We get new resurrected bodies at the proper time. Just my two cents - nothing official.

But the fact that the ground is cursed is clear.

Genesis 5:29 - Now he called his name Noah, saying, "This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from the ground which the LORD has cursed."

The results from this curse are the fact that we have to work to eat. That did not seem to be the case for Adam and Eve before they sinned.

Other notes...

• Cain's offering from the ground was rejected by God... because the ground was cursed.
  • Jesus' body with regards to His death never went into the ground. He came from above... lived... died and put in a tomb... defeated death... rose to return to heaven. The ground never consumed his body like every other sinful person... because the ground is cursed.
Drob- me thinks you are on to something here! The Bible seems to insinuate (without saying so directly) that God and the planet and man have some kind of... connection? When Cain slew Abel and then lied to God about it (Gen. 4:9) God replies in the next verse:

Genesis 4:10

Amplified Bible (AMP)

[SIZE=3]10 [/SIZE]And [the Lord] said, What have you done? The voice of your brotherís blood is crying to Me from the ground.
The Amplified and King James read almost identically.
Lev. 18:25 speaks of pagans defiling the land-
Leviticus 18:25

King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=3]25 [/SIZE]And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, droughts, tornadoes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM

794 posts, read 647,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, if you were to create MAN. How would you do it?

I think God created MAN perfectly.

Please describe this other world you talk about. The current creation is perfect as it is.
You're right. God did make man perfect. And then the fall of man happened. We are not living in the world God intended for man to live in. I am getting the impression that you believe God made man to grow old, get sick, expand their knowledge to survive better, create governments, systems, laws, etc.. and then finally die. I don't think so. God told Adam to guard the finished work, not work in the finished work. God made man to enjoy all of His blessings and to be the receivers of His love. Its very hard to be love and have no one to love. That is why we are here. Everything you see in this world since the fall of man is the result of the sweat of our brows. This is not a world that has been shaped by God through man but instead a world shaped by man. This world is not perfect, far from it, and will not be perfect until God creates the new Heaven and Earth.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is a beautiful poem. It is allegoric and it will be difficult if you try to take this literally.

It summarizes God's creation and it had to be this way. MAN cannot live in the Garden forever, it does not make sense.
Im sorry, but the text does not present itself as allegory.

Adam and Eve were caretakers of the garden. After they rebelled and sinned everything was messed up--including the work they did, childbirth, etc.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 AM

154 posts, read 161,786 times
Ok, I've had a burning question about Adam and Eve for a long time, though I didn't think it was enough for a new topic. I hope OP won't mind if I piggyback for a moment?

Anyway, when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, they knew it was bad for them to be naked, so they hid themselves. And then God finds them and says, "who told you to eat of the tree? Now they have become like us, knowing what is good and evil." (paraphrasing, Genesis 3:8-22)

So my question is, since they saw their nakedness as bad due to having knowledge of good and evil, wasn't it evil for God to make them naked and not make clothes for them? Wasn't being naked a sin?

I say this in reverence and not in accusation of God, but I am just really really curious about this for the longest time now.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM

796 posts, read 668,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
Ok, I've had a burning question about Adam and Eve for a long time, though I didn't think it was enough for a new topic. I hope OP won't mind if I piggyback for a moment?

Anyway, when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, they knew it was bad for them to be naked, so they hid themselves. And then God finds them and says, "who told you to eat of the tree? Now they have become like us, knowing what is good and evil." (paraphrasing, Genesis 3:8-22)

So my question is, since they saw their nakedness as bad due to having knowledge of good and evil, wasn't it evil for God to make them naked and not make clothes for them? Wasn't being naked a sin?

I say this in reverence and not in accusation of God, but I am just really really curious about this for the longest time now.
I like the question. This even may reveal something about God. Perhaps where there is not law given, God does not hold you accountable for that law. It brings to mind for me of how as a child grows there comes a time when they realize they have broken God's laws. It is a time often referred to by some as "the age of accountability". Perhaps God does not hold us accountable for every law until we grow to the point we realize that law exist.

I don't know if I worded that well but it something to ponder and pray about. Thanks for bringing it up.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 622,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does it state that Satan was in the Garden?...
That old serpent, the devil (Rev 12:9). Who else could tempted Eve other than Satan?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM

15,547 posts, read 6,995,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
When we are little children there is no problem or "sin" in nakedness at least for us. It is when we get old enough for sexual curiosity that it becomes a temptation to be recognized. This is consistent with the "coming of age" myth presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity