Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,287,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And you added your statement to it.
And what about the things I said do you disagree with and why? Simply saying I'm wrong with no explanation doesn't advance the discussion.

Quote:
Peter's statement, specifically, refers to Paul's writings as scripture. Paul referred to scripture as "God-breathed" in 2 Tim 3:16 Literally, "theopneustos" -- which means just that-- "God-breathed". So yes--Paul called it the word of God.
The bible as we know it did not exist at the time 2 Tim. was written, so it cannot be referring to that. Also, calling something God-breathed (inspired) is not the same thing as calling it the word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And what about the things I said do you disagree with and why? Simply saying I'm wrong with no explanation doesn't advance the discussion.

Your statement that Peter was only referring to a subset of Paul's writings. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I understood you to be saying. The text just doesn't seem to say that. We can read that and infer that Peter considered Paul's writings to be scripture.
Quote:

The bible as we know it did not exist at the time 2 Tim. was written, so it cannot be referring to that.
As we said--Paul's writings are scripture. He was a prophet of God.
Quote:

Also, calling something God-breathed (inspired) is not the same thing as calling it the word of God.
Really? When I speak I breathe.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Also, calling something God-breathed (inspired) is not the same thing as calling it the word of God.

On the other hand ... Paul talks about PEOPLE being epistles of Christ. And if everything that Paul wrote is scripture, surely what Christ wrote should qualify as scripture as well. If all scripture is the word of God, than I guess PEOPLE are actually the word of God, too.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
On the other hand ... Paul talks about PEOPLE being epistles of Christ. And if everything that Paul wrote is scripture, surely what Christ wrote should qualify as scripture as well. If all scripture is the word of God, than I guess PEOPLE are actually the word of God, too.
got a verse for that?

Old 07-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Your statement that Peter was only referring to a subset of Paul's writings. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I understood you to be saying. The text just doesn't seem to say that. We can read that and infer that Peter considered Paul's writings to be scripture.
Or we can read it and infer that Peter was talking about some of Paul's writings.

Quote:
As we said--Paul's writings are scripture. He was a prophet of God.
As you said. And even if that were true, Paul's writings do not comprise all of the bible as we know it.

Quote:
Really? When I speak I breathe.
Do you always speak when you breathe?

Last edited by Pleroo; 07-13-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
got a verse for that?
You mean you've never read 2 Cor. 3:3?

And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity