Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 AM

798 posts, read 1,458,896 times

Advertisements

I read this in other Christian forum where they were trying to prove that self-steem is not Christian but just some kind of egocentric behavior. Self-steem was a term coined by Freud and his ideas that are the basis of Psychology. Freud was a Sabbath Jew and was adopted by certain illuminati elites as a "prophet", so he kind of ended up being "demonized" by some Christians..

Today most Freud theories keep misused even though self-steem is still a reality in every psychological or psychiatric treatment.

The solution for this mental diatribal is feeling "Christiansteem", which means, knowing loved by God.

What's ur take on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,908,534 times
"Self-esteem" is sort of an opposite to the "such a worm as I" perception. It can be carried to complete self-involvement, but is also a part of respect for others, imo: if we think everybody is a "worm," where is the respect to come from? If we believe that everyone is child of God, though many have problematical relationships with God, we can see them as worthwhile human beings who may need a little help with their priorities.

How we view ourselves is a big part of how we deal with the world.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,175,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
I read this in other Christian forum where they were trying to prove that self-steem is not Christian but just some kind of egocentric behavior. Self-steem was a term coined by Freud and his ideas that are the basis of Psychology. Freud was a Sabbath Jew and was adopted by certain illuminati elites as a "prophet", so he kind of ended up being "demonized" by some Christians..

Today most Freud theories keep misused even though self-steem is still a reality in every psychological or psychiatric treatment.

The solution for this mental diatribal is feeling "Christiansteem", which means, knowing loved by God.

What's ur take on it?
The essence of the Christian life is realizing you are a broken sinner--and that you need a savior. Once you trust Christ, it's then dying to yourself--and living for Christ. Pride is often the antithesis of that.

Having said that, it's ok to have some self-esteem...it's good to take pride in your work, and do a good job at what you do. It's good to want to do your best.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:57 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,266,489 times
Knowing who you really are in Christ and being seated in heavenly places does wonders for yourself before God. It beats being in a state that continually beats us up..............woe is me for I'm undone.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 AM

505 posts, read 574,597 times
"Let your moderation be known unto all men." (Phil. 4:5)

Self-esteem/self worth is truth, since we are all made in the image of God. It's when it starts getting out of hand and goes unchecked, thus wandering into the area of pride that trouble begins.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,306,771 times
Love your neighbor as you love yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. There is a consistent message of self-esteem embedded in the scriptures. If I don't take care of myself, I cannot take care of others, extend justice, forgiveness, mercy, etc. Humility is holy value, by giving to G-d the glory of being an instrument for G-d, but it also means G-d picked you for this activity. There is every reason to have self-esteem as a Christian. Balance is important and not taking things too far is critical, but feeling good about yourself is equally valued and should not be diminished.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,993,018 times
One definition of self esteem is having a self confidence. That is one of the things Christians can allow Jesus to give them.

Whether it is Christian or not, like so many things, are the reasons and motivations behind it, as well as the fruits produced from it.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,820,966 times
There's nothing wrong with self-confidence/esteem in Christians. But, in our society, everything seems focused on 'self esteem', when what is really missing and needed is 'God esteem.'

Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Knowing who you really are in Christ and being seated in heavenly places does wonders for yourself before God. It beats being in a state that continually beats us up..............woe is me for I'm undone.
That is true, I am a child. Of the king. His children look good, walk in authority and are proud of having Him as our God.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,916,813 times
I think the problem begins with a false humility as a form of manipulation people have attempted in the past.
People would crawl on their knees to some mountian to prove something .

But what Jesus called for was repentence, the reversal from self government =sin, to God's government =obedience.
Beyond the letter via the Spirit of God in a relationship Jesus makes possable.

Jesus (THE word of God ) laid out God's expectations and perspective in the gospels.
The Holy Spirit Jesus provides reenforces God's influence into every day life ,beter than any other scriptures or other men could hope for.

Accountability is not according to one's own inturptertation of scriptures but with in the living realtionship God observes. Matthew 7; John 15;

When men cercumvent God's design ,that is where trouble starts.
God first spoke to man with out writing .

After things were written men manipulated the word like lawyers to find excuses ,and did their own thing any way.
Even with all their education, did not recognize Jesus when He came, because He did not do things the way THEY determined He should perform.

With scriptures today men still disobey, even knowing for a fact that Jesus said," NO MAN KNOWS THE HOUR."
Rather than finding obedience in their every day life, still looking for excuses with in the scriptures.

If Jesus lordship is not in one now, there is no eternal connection.
Jesus said , "Unless you become as a little child, you will in on way see the kingdom of heaven. "
What little child is an intellectual ?

At best all a little child is capable of is obedience and dependence .
A person can do no better than to find that simplicity in that relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity