Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM

545 posts, read 451,774 times

Advertisements

I don't think a person from this culture should be considered for ordination until over say 40 yrs of age. Plus if you cannot interview a guy over 40 and get some tough questions in on sex issues, then its time for a different interviewer. Just a side note...Ive been around priests since 7 yrs old right through different churchs, hospitals, alter boy, school taught by priests..never ever have I ever seen or heard of any suggestion of this stuff in any way whatsoever. And thats allot of guys, allot of friends and allot of priests. Two left over say 15 yrs and got married, hearing through the grape vine. But never anything even close to all this stuff anywhere. Gay, homosexual weren't even words in the all male school ( large enroll) , there was no reason and why should there be. The best thing for Ed in this mess of Ed is separate the genders.

Last edited by macpherson; 07-23-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
In any event, I bet the Catholic church is getting tired of shelling out zillions of dollars because they let their priests get away with sexually abusing children. They are going to do something to stop it.

In my opinion, letting priests marry is a good idea.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM

545 posts, read 451,774 times
Ya but the thing is your saying there is something that is stopping the Catholic priest to get married, who would be a prize employee for a principal re a Catholic school or system, so there is no job issue and far more preaching reach. So they can get married and do what they want already.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I think if the Roman Catholic priests to marry, it would drastically reduce incidents of molestation of boys by priests. There is only one case among Episcopalian priests and none among Orthodox priests that
I 've heard about. Episcopals allow priests to marry and the Orthodox churches make celibacy optional.
No. If they stopped the ordination of homosexuals it would greatly reduce it...but not stop it entirely. Of course, you'd still have some priests molesting girls, then.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. If they stopped the ordination of homosexuals it would greatly reduce it...but not stop it entirely. Of course, you'd still have some priests molesting girls, then.

I wonder if Paul molested anybody...

Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think it prevents many a highly capable person from serving. In turn I think that creates a chronic shortage of priests which makes the church far less likely to defrock a priest in the event of misconduct. I mean, if a clergyman committed those outrages in a Protestant or Anglican church, the response would have been swift and unequivocal. I know this, because I've seen various denominations respond when even a whiff of scandal arises regarding one of their clergy. Meanwhile, the Catholic would give the offending priest a stern talking-to, perhaps some counseling, and then ship him off to an unsuspecting parish.

Further, priestly celibacy was not even required in the early church. For example, in Paul's letter to Timothy, he clearly states that a priest or bishop should only have one wife -- and he wasn't speaking figuratively.

Personally, I also believe that a celibate priest has little real authority or insight in counseling his flock on the subject of family life, given that he has no chance of having one himself. It would be the akin of a tenured economics professor lacking real-world experience telling me how to run my company. At least with married clergy, they totally get what it's like to be married and raising children.

In fact, the Catholic church didn't require priestly celibacy until two lateran councils in the 11th century settled the matter for good. So the Catholic Church allowed married priests for the first 50% of its existence. Why not allow it now?
It also makes no sense if population is dwindling due to stuff like abortion. Traditionally, Catholic church members were born into the church (no abortion policy left alot of women who abandoned children), raised by Catholic schooling system, and finally became either members, priests, or monks. Lutherans and afterwards, most all Protestants, married and they have the problem of being (gasp) happily married.

A repressed person wants to rape an unmarried man/woman to relieve the fact that they can't legally be with anyone. But touching a child inappropriately (which is often a matter of debate what is appropriate touch), or actually raping someone, which is easier to get away with?

Quote:
I wonder if Paul molested anybody...
Peter was married, from what I remember. Paul hung out with a couple who liked to build tents. No problems there, he just hung around their tents alot, and no molesting, just some good wholesome "tent-building."

Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Peter was married, from what I remember. Paul hung out with a couple who liked to build tents. No problems there, he just hung around their tents alot, and no molesting, just some good wholesome "tent-building."
I am serious...This is not new...It has been going on for centuries...It is called Pederaty and goes back to at least the ancient Greeks...Read up on it...

Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM

796 posts, read 858,684 times
From today's headlines it looks like the RCC may be opening the door for homosexuals to be open in their organization.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And you would be incorrect. Far more men with adult heterosexual orientations molest boys than those with an adult homosexual orientation.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...lestation.html

The independent John Jay College of Criminal Justice investigation into the child sex abuse scandals within the Catholic Church also proves you are wrong.

"The data do not support a finding that homosexual identity and/or preordination
same-sex sexual behavior are significant risk factors for the sexual abuse of minors."

"There has been widespread speculation that homosexual identity is linked to the sexual abuse of minors by
priests, largely because of the high number of male victims identified in the
Nature and Scope study, however the clinical data do not support this finding"

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...-1950-2010.pdf

There really is no good excuse for ignorance on this topic given the wealth of reliable evidence-based information available.

Last edited by Ceist; 07-30-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And you would be incorrect. Far more men with adult heterosexual orientations molest boys than those with an adult homosexual orientation.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...lestation.html

The independent John Jay College of Criminal Justice investigation into the child sex abuse scandals within the Catholic Church also proves you are wrong.

"The data do not support a finding that homosexual identity and/or preordination
same-sex sexual behavior are significant risk factors for the sexual abuse of minors."

"There has been widespread speculation that homosexual identity is linked to the sexual abuse of minors by
priests, largely because of the high number of male victims identified in the
Nature and Scope study, however the clinical data do not support this finding"

Page Not Found

There really is no good excuse for ignorance on this topic given the wealth of reliable evidence-based information available.

what he said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity