U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:21 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,527,785 times

Advertisements

I want to share this passage that I was read this morning;
"Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"
DIVINE HEALING

Sick Christian, open thy Bible, study it and see in its pages that sickness is a warning to renounce sin, but that whoever acknowledges and forsakes his sins finds in Jesus pardon and healing. Such is God's promise in His Word. —Divine Healing
Let us remember that it is by the unbelief of the Church that divine healing has left her. It is not on the answers of such or such a one that faith in Bible truths should be made to depend. "There arises light in the darkness" (Psalm 112:4) for the "upright" who are ready to submit themselves to the Word of God.
Scripture fixes seventy or eighty years as the ordinary measure of human life. The believer who receives Jesus as the Healer of the sick will rest satisfied then with the declaration of the Word of God. Healing
Besides, the man of faith places himself under the direction of the Spirit, which will enable him to discern the will of God if something should prevent his attaining the age of seventy.
"The prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another that ye may be healed" (James 5:15, 16) It does not follow that they shall be exempt from other trials; but as for sickness, they are healed of it because it attacks the body, which is become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. "The prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another that ye may be healed" (James 5:15, 16)In this he clings to the revealed will of God, and for that which is not revealed he knows that God will make known His mind to His servants who walk with Him. We would insist here that faith is not a logical reasoning which ought in some way to oblige God to act according to His promises. It is rather the confiding attitude of the child who honors his Father, who counts upon His love to see Him fulfilling His promises, and who knows that He is faithful to communicate to the body as well as to the soul the new strength which flows from the redemption, until the moment of departure is come.
"The prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another that ye may be healed" (James 5:15, 16).

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-09-2007 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,780,597 times
I don't agree that everyone who is sick or who fails to live to at least 70 has (had) sin in their life. The commentary or article you quoted implies this IMO. I do think we can shorten our lives by sin and not following the Spirit as this article states. And yeah, I'm not ruling out that sometimes sickness may be a result of sin, and yes, I am definitely a believer in divine healing. But I don't think sin as the cause is the whole story. It may be or it may not be. We live in a fallen world and I think this accounts for much sickness and death. For example Jesus was asked what about some men that died in some kind of accident (don't remember the exact scripture-I could find it if I had to) but anyway Jesus essentially tells them that these men were no greater sinners than anyone else, that the rain falls on the righteous along with the unrighteous.

Last edited by kaykay; 11-09-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: change a word...

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 AM

6,981 posts, read 16,635,585 times
The death rate for ALL people, is 100%. We all have to die sometime from something. To say that you can heal yourself through prayer or faith is misguided. Some of the good die young. Some of the worse sinners live a long, long time.

The question is; Do you want to die quickly with full mental abilities or do you want to die slowly as the mind and body wear out with age?

Nothing in this world is worse than the slow death that can come with aging. Just visit a nursing home and see those that are over 90.

God sends death for his children in many ways. One of the best and easiest is pneumonia. It's battled as if it's the work of the devil. Other ways, even cancer, are battled for months and even years. Why do people fight against death so? If you believe there is a god, then, do you believe that it is his will that it's time to go "home?"

Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

9,590 posts, read 5,312,151 times
Goood Morning!!!
Just wanted to insert a little something I just read. Because I don't believe that all sickness is the cause of sin. I say this humbly not arrogantly! Please don't perceive it in that way.

Divine Healing (James 5:13-16)
God is the Creator of the human body (Gen. 2:7), and what He has made He can restore. The OT records the miraculous healing of leprosy (2Kin. 5:14) and declares God's power over every human ill (Ps.103:1-5). During His earthly ministry Jesus healed " all kinds of sickness and all kinds of diseases among the people"(Matt.4:23). He sent out 70 disciples with a commission to "heal the sick....and say to them,'the kingdom of God has come near to you' " (Luke 10:9). At Lystra Paul saw that a longtime cripple "had faith to be healed". In response to the apostle's command to stand up, the cripple "leaped and walked" (Acts 14:8-10).
Here the Book of James shows God's power is available through the Church to heal the sick. We are encouraged to bring our physical needs to God in prayer and in faith. Futhermore, the Holy Spirit gives to some Christians a special gift of faith for healing of the sick (1Cor.12:9). However, in NT times not all Christians were healed (2Cor.12:7-10; 2Tim.4:20), nor are all healed today. God demonstrates His power and compassion by healing some. To others he gives the grace necessary to bear their pain so that they might walk more closely with Him (2Cor.12:9). In the new heaven and earth all sickness will be removed (Rev.21:4; 22:2).
In coming to God for healing, we express our confidence in His power and our faith in His promises. As Christians we are always to pray as Jesus prayed, "Not as I will, but as You will" (Matt.26:39). This is the prayer of faith-a faith that trusts our lives completely to God's love and care.

(I tried to rep kaykay and Padgett2, but it said I had to spread it around.)
Lord Bless :^) !

Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM

6,981 posts, read 16,635,585 times
The average age at death in 1900 in the USA was 47. 50% of all children could be expected to die.

Have things improved? You bet they have!
For an interesting article on Life expectiancy, check out this link. There is an automated calulation feature up near the top of the article that is interesting. According to it, I will live to be 91.5.

Life-span Calculation

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,371,728 times
I just wanted to say that I completely agree with kaykay and curly. Faith is not telling God to heal you...faith is knowing He can, but willing to stick with Him regardless of what He decides for your life. This verse shows true faith.

Daniel 3:16-18 NIV
16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Sometimes healing comes in a way that we didn't expect or want. I believe that sometimes the sick are taken to Heaven, where they are living with a completely healed body. We have the reassurance that even if we are not healed this side of Heaven, once we get there, we are sick no more.

Oh, and another story came to mind when reading the OP. This one comes from the mouth of Jesus.

John 9:1-3 NIV
1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
3 "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

We should not be so quick to judge and say people are sick as a result of sin. God may have a plan that we know nothing about. We really should just be there for the people, keep them in our prayers, and concentrate on bettering our own sinful lives.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We should not be so quick to judge and say people are sick as a result of sin. God may have a plan that we know nothing about. We really should just be there for the people, keep them in our prayers, and concentrate on bettering our own sinful lives.

[+] Rate this post positively
I apologize for omitting the source:
Divine Healing
A Series of Addresses and a Personal Testimony
by
Andrew Murray

Database © 2006 WORDsearch Corp.
—Divine Healing , In the OP I stated that this was a passage that I said that I had read and wanted to share, and asked anyone to share their thoughts;
I don't recall judging anyone; I was sharing what I read for discussion purposes only, next time I will insert a disclaimer: LOL
God Bless You
Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,371,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Divine Healing
by
Andrew Murray

óDivine Healing , In the OP I stated that this was a passage that I said that I had read and wanted to share, and asked anyone to share their thoughts;
I don't recall judging anyone; I was sharing what I read for discussion purposes only, next time I will insert a disclaimer: LOL
God Bless You
Thanks for sharing.
I figured you were quoting someone. I wasn't necessarily saying that YOU shouldn't judge, just all Christians. We probably all need the reminder on occasion.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM

This is a series of teachings on Sickness and Healing
In the interests of space, I didn't want to take a whole page; But this is the only way that I can share this because I don't think it's on the internet

Day 1—Pardon and Healing

"But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins (then saith he to the sick of the palsy), Arise, take up thy bed and go unto thine house"—(Matthew 9:6).
In man two natures are combined. He is at the same time spirit and matter, heaven and earth, soul and body. For this reason, on one side he is the son of God, and on the other he is doomed to destruction because of the Fall; sin in his soul and sickness in his body bear witness to the right which death has over him. It is the twofold nature which has been redeemed by divine grace. When the Psalmist calls upon all that is within him to bless the Lord for His benefits, he cries, "Bless the Lord, O my soul, who... forgiveth all thine iniquities, who healeth all thy diseases" (Psalm 103:3). When Isaiah foretells the deliverance of his people, he adds, "The inhabitant shall not say, I am sick; the people that dwell therein shall be forgiven their iniquity" (Isaiah 33:24).
This prediction was accomplished beyond all anticipation when Jesus the Redeemer came down to this earth. How numerous were the healings wrought by Him who was come to establish upon earth the kingdom of heaven! Whether by His own acts or whether afterwards by the commands which He left for His disciples, does He not show us clearly that the preaching of the Gospel and the healing of the sick went together in the salvation which He came to bring? Both are given as evident proof of His mission as the Messiah: "The blind receive their sight and the lame walk.., and the poor have the Gospel preached to them" (Matthew 11:5). Jesus, who took upon Him the soul and body of man, delivers both in equal measure from the consequences of sin.
This truth is nowhere more evident or better demonstrated than in the history of the paralytic. The Lord Jesus begins by saying to him, "Thy sins be forgiven thee," after which He adds, "Arise and walk." The pardon of sin and the healing of sickness complete one the other, for in the eyes of God, who sees our entire nature, sin and sickness are as closely united as the body and the soul. In accordance with the Scriptures, our Lord Jesus has regarded sin and sickness in another light than we have. With us sin belongs to the spiritual domain; we recognize that it is under God's just displeasure, justly condemned by Him, while sickness, on the contrary, seems only a part of the present condition of our nature, and to have nothing to do with God's condemnation and His righteousness. Some go so far as to say that sickness is a proof of the love and grace of God.
But neither the Scripture nor yet Jesus Christ Himself ever spoke of sickness in this light, nor do they ever present sickness as a blessing, as a proof of God's love which should be borne with patience. The Lord spoke to the disciples of divers sufferings which they should have to bear, but when He speaks of sickness, it is always as of an evil caused by sin and Satan, and from which we should be delivered. Very solemnly He declared that every disciple of His would have to bear his cross (Matthew 16:24), but He never taught one sick person to resign himself to be sick. Everywhere Jesus healed the sick, everywhere He dealt with healing as one of the graces belonging to the kingdom of heaven. Sin in the soul and sickness in the body both bear witness to the power of Satan, and "the Son of God was manifested that he might destroy the works of the devil" (1 John 3:8).
Jesus came to deliver men from sin and sickness that He might make known the love of the Father. In His actions, in His teaching of the disciples, in the work of the apostles, pardon and healing are always to be found together. Either the one or the other may doubtless appear more in relief, according to the development or the faith of those to whom they spoke. Sometimes it was healing which prepared the way for the acceptance of forgiveness, sometimes it was forgiveness which preceded the healing, which, coming afterwards, became a seal to it. In the early part of His ministry, Jesus cured many of the sick, finding them ready to believe in the possibility of their healing. In this way He sought to influence hearts to receive Himself as He who is able to pardon sin. When He saw that the paralytic could receive pardon at once, He began by that which was of the greatest importance; after which came the healing which put a seal on the pardon which had been accorded to him.
We see, by the accounts given in the Gospels, that it was more difficult for the Jews at that time to believe in the pardon of their sins than in divine healing. Now it is just the contrary. The Christian Church has heard so much of the preaching of the forgiveness of sins that the thirsty soul easily receives this message of grace; but it is not the same with divine healing; that is rarely spoken of; the believers who have experienced it are not many. It is true that healing is not given in this day as in those times, to the multitudes whom Christ healed without any previous conversion. In order to receive it, it is necessary to begin by confession of sin and the purpose to live a holy life.
Quote:
This is without doubt the reason why people find more difficulty to believe in healing than in forgiveness; and this is also why those who receive healing receive at the same time new spiritual blessing, feel more closely united to the Lord Jesus, and learn to love and serve Him better. Unbelief may attempt to separate these two gifts, but they are always united in Christ. He is always the same Savior both of the soul and of the body, equally ready to grant pardon and healing. The redeemed may always cry: "Bless the Lord, 0 my soul.., who forgiveth all thine iniquities, who healeth all thy diseases" (Psalm 103:3).
—Divine Healing

This I have seen and experienced to be a fact even with myself and many others;
Sorry about the length

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-09-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

9,590 posts, read 5,312,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Divine Healing
by
Andrew Murray

óDivine Healing , In the OP I stated that this was a passage that I said that I had read and wanted to share, and asked anyone to share their thoughts;
God Bless You
Thanks for sharing.
O, just wanted you to know I didn't think you were judging.......please don't count me as to thinking that.......
Lord bless you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity