Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times

Advertisements

Ok I have been studying about Mary Magdalene.The way I'm seeing it she was very close to Jesus,Loved Him and followed Him and if she had been a man she could have been a disciple.

Close not like some want to believe but close understanding who He was and Loving Him for saving her.

Thoughts? I'm thinking I should be thinking of this along Jesus and His women,which most women in His life are interesting.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Why she loved him would be a great place to start.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok I have been studying about Mary Magdalene.The way I'm seeing it she was very close to Jesus,Loved Him and followed Him and if she had been a man she could have been a disciple.

Close not like some want to believe but close understanding who He was and Loving Him for saving her.

Thoughts? I'm thinking I should be thinking of this along Jesus and His women,which most women in His life are interesting.

brushrunner
Two good places to start:

Women and the Genesis of Christianity by Ben Witherington

Have not read this one myelf, but it comes highly recommended by a respected source.

What Have They Done With Jesus By Ben Witherington

Have read this one. It contains a chapter or two on the women in Jesus' posse, and I recall was pretty good stuff.

Best wishes.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why she loved him would be a great place to start.
Any "why" would only be the purest of speculation, and absolutely worthless as fact. Again, I recommend Witherington's books as the best starting place, if only because Witherington starts with the actual text of the Bible and draws in contemporary practices and sources to support or discredit conclusions.

JMHO

Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The book of Dan Brown `da vinci code ` was a fiction mystery detective novel, and wrote to make money on gullible people who may have itchy ears for this kind of book ..... In the Bible Jesus did help Mary Magdalene and Mary was the first person in the gospel to tell others that Jesus had rose from the dead ... See Jesus relationship with Mary Magdalene was not a hot relationship , but a collegial relationship , as many woman followed Jesus around with His collegial relationship , and if they did receive Jesus Spirit at Pentecost then the vision they learned from Jesus could applied as disciples of Christ through Jesus

Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM

For those who are interested, Prof Brent Walters, Professor of Comparative Religion at San Jose State University here in CA, does a weekly radio program where he goes in depth examination of the Jewish and Christian religions from roughly 300 BC to the Council of Nicea in 325.

KGO Radio Website the program runs from 5:00 am through 8:00 am Pacific Time and be heart over the net if you go to the website. Podcasts are usually available the following Mondays.

This week, Prof Walters happens to be covering the role of women in the early church. The follwing is excerpted from his listener newsletter:

This Sunday's Topic (July 21, 2013)

WOMEN IN THE EARLY CHURCH

During the early decades of the Jesus movement women participated alongside men with a new sense of authority, but that was partly due to the culture in which they lived, for most were denied equality of function and access of privilege in Judaism. In contrast, a central theme of the gospel message was the partnership of men and women in an unhindered mission in which gender was less important than cause. This is apparent throughout the New Testament in which race, sex, and status are replaced with new identity, integrity, and inheritance. Jesus instructed males and females as disciples, even though integrating them resulted in public scorn and disdain.

From the early months of ministry in Galilee to the final days in Judea, women were co-founders of the church. This is reflected in the custom of commissioning married couples to spread the gospel. Consequently, women composed the nucleus of initial converts in many regions, and in some cities they comprised the majority of its members. Paul likewise developed an egalitarian status for women in the communities he established, one that took gender differences into consideration without curtailing freedom to worship, learn, or minister. Such policies drew severe censure from Jewish authorities as well as contempt from Roman officials, historians, and critics throughout the empire.

As the church evolved, a few female members abused their newly established liberty, so in response the apostle adjusted his position before believers were subjected to public ridicule. Nonetheless, misapplication of his reforms allowed some to exploit the freedoms he introduced and to assimilate cultic practices, while others misread his terminology to subjugate women within the church. By the close of the second century their role was diminished dramatically, and rather than minister they became renown for piety and decency in Greco-Roman society. This process continued until virginity became an accepted expression of devotion and martyrdom was the chief means of attaining equality as heroes of the faith.

This Sunday we trace the role of women in the church during the ante-Nicene era, that is, the first three centuries, and included in our discussion are the accounts of a dozen female exemplars from that period. Please join me,

Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Any "why" would only be the purest of speculation, and absolutely worthless as fact. Again, I recommend Witherington's books as the best starting place, if only because Witherington starts with the actual text of the Bible and draws in contemporary practices and sources to support or discredit conclusions.

JMHO
IMHO its probably the same reason as this lady

Luke 7:47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."

Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
IMHO its probably the same reason as this lady

Luke 7:47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
After all, He DID rid her of 7 demons.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Thoughts?
Jesus of Nazareth and Mary of Magdala who never left his side; even during the Crucifixion.
Was her status reduced overtime to that of a prostitute, according to the tradition of male dominance?
Did Jesus love her, as much as John? Was she an Apostle? Was she not the first at the tomb? Was Peter envious?

Apparently, I have a few questions regarding the traditions of men?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
After all, He DID rid her of 7 demons.
I hope you are not implying that the woman of Luke 7:47 is none other than Mary Magdalene, because there is nothing in Luke that suggests so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity