U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM

25 posts, read 27,089 times

Advertisements

In Christianity, what is meant by spirit? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

4,592 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_1 View Post
God is a spirit meaning is a spirit person.
God's holy spirit is his active energy that he uses to create.- Isaiah 40 v 26; Psalm 104 v 30
Angels are spirit persons and have the spirit of life.
After God breathed the breath of life into Adam, then Adam became, not a living spirit, but became a living soul.- Gen. 2 v 7
While alive Adam had the spirit of life. Adam was active and animated.
At death Adam lost the spirit or life and became a dead soul or a lifeless soul.
At death our spirit returns to God. As a foreclosed property goes back to the owner, the property does not move or go anywhere but is returned back to the hands of the owner. Meaning for us is that any future life prospect [ resurrection ] now lies in God's hands.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM

7,866 posts, read 6,673,377 times
Spirit is usually unseen unless the people see through God eyes , which He has for different gifts of the Spirit .............. Seen a vision of the Virgin once back many years , as I was searching different bible stores for understanding , and She was standing right at my car window plain as day , just like a regular person , then within five seconds , She was gone , which proved to me that the spirit can have substance , which showed me that In heaven All the people there will be of substance in the Spirit ............ Also see two messenger Holy Angels of God who came to here and Jesus spirit discerned who they were , which had wings pure white like doves wings , and had substance in the spirit .................Also seen demons and fallen angels which most demon had no substance and some fallen angels had no substance , but some fallen angels did have substance , when though these dark spirit where like a spirit with no body , they were still considered a threat to life , and have no business with Christians , and must be put down at all times after they are discerned .................Some would say that a spirit is an alcoholic drink , but if you do drink to much the mobilities demons spirit will come to and try to take over the will of their body , which they do as people stagger ................... When people pass on from this world they will need Jesus Holy Spirit , as He will protect the soul and spirit and bring people to God , but people with out Holy Spirit will not have the protection from God spirits and their soul will die , but their spirit will not die , and God will put the Spirit of unprotected man in a place prepared for these ....

Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM

4,592 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Adam did Not have an immortal spirit. Adam 'returned' [ went back ] to the dust.- Genesis 3 v 19 B
A person can not 'return' to a place that he never was at before.
Adam [ all of Adam ] returned to where he was before. Returned to the dust of the ground.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM

4,221 posts, read 1,966,147 times
I use scripture to paint the picture.

"God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

"It's the spirit that gives life the flesh is useless,the words I spoke to you are spirit and life."

"I will put my spirit within you so you will live."

"Here is the covenant I have made with them. My spirit which is upon you and my words which I have put into your mouth shall never leave your mouth nor the mouths of your children, nor the mouths of your childrens children from now on and forever."

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM

17,770 posts, read 8,892,680 times
What does spirit mean?

Conscious Life.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,304,678 times
Consciousness.

The part of the human that cannot be quantified.

The product of our human condition.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM

15,555 posts, read 7,013,428 times
The product of the higher functions of the mind as distinct from the animating function of the soul.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM

6,370 posts, read 5,632,156 times
Quote:
Hi Anonymous. A spirit (as derived from the Greek word "pneuma") is the BEING of entity. What makes you - YOU. That is what a spirit is. So when we refer to the Holy Spirit - we are actually referring to what makes the Father in Heaven who He is. It is His Spirit (aka the Holy Spirit). Here is an actual comparision that may help:

1Co 2:11 for who of men hath known the things of the man, except the spirit of the man that is in him? so also the things of God no one hath known, except the Spirit of God.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 8,919 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What does spirit mean?

Conscious Life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
A spirit (as derived from the Greek word "pneuma") is the BEING of entity. What makes you - YOU. That is what a spirit is.
I'm going to go along with Jerwade and trettep on this one. A spirit (i.e. "pneuma") is the source of life, the source of existence of anything that is alive. Including God Himself, from whom all life originates.

Angela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity