Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,329,812 times

Advertisements

This is my first time popping into this forum. I hope it's not as crazy as "Relationships"

I'm trying to figure out why some people who call themselves Christians can behave in such an un-Christian (in my opinion) manner.

Anyway, I had a bit of a run-in with a girl at work today. I was explaining something to another co-worker, when another co-worker, let's call her Laura, interrupts to tell me that I am wrong (I was not wrong) and when I corrected her, she walked away from me in mid-sentence going "I can't hear you, I can't hear you" like a freakin' third grader. Sorry, that's probably insulting to third graders In the past, she has sent me e-mails, supposedly to try to help me deal with some of my personal crap (which she knows next to nothing about - only office gossip) and the e-mails usually contain links to some sort of self-improvement website with a Christian overtone. Learn to love yourself, God loves you, etc. etc.

Laura is not one of my Facebook friends but we do have a friend in common, this lets me see a lot of what she posts on her page. Lately most of her posts have been about how much God loves her, and how she is going to cut the negative people out of her life because God wants her to, and God this, and God that. The rest of her posts are usually about going out partying and getting drunk, and occasionally laced with profanity. Most of the photos she has out there are of her dressed up like a street walker heading out to a bar. Oh, but she went to church on Sunday and the message was so awesome

I don't get it. She is one of the rudest people I know, and thankfully while we work in the same office, we are in different groups so I don't actually have to work WITH her very much. I have an idea of how Christian people, true Christians should behave towards others and she is the total opposite of this. Meanwhile, I don't go to church but I try to treat everyone with respect and agree with the saying, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". I think the Golden Rule is something to live by. I'll forgive her for her rudeness, but will probably do my best to just avoid her at work from now on. I forgive, but I don't forget.

It seems like most of the mean, judgmental people I've come across in my life are the ones going to church every week. Is this supposed to give you license to be nasty and judgmental towards everyone else? Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of very nice people who go to church every week, but the ones who are the most vocal about it are the mean ones. The people who don't "brag" about their church attendance are usually a lot nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,221,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
This is my first time popping into this forum. I hope it's not as crazy as "Relationships"

I'm trying to figure out why some people who call themselves Christians can behave in such an un-Christian (in my opinion) manner.

Anyway, I had a bit of a run-in with a girl at work today. I was explaining something to another co-worker, when another co-worker, let's call her Laura, interrupts to tell me that I am wrong (I was not wrong) and when I corrected her, she walked away from me in mid-sentence going "I can't hear you, I can't hear you" like a freakin' third grader. Sorry, that's probably insulting to third graders In the past, she has sent me e-mails, supposedly to try to help me deal with some of my personal crap (which she knows next to nothing about - only office gossip) and the e-mails usually contain links to some sort of self-improvement website with a Christian overtone. Learn to love yourself, God loves you, etc. etc.

Laura is not one of my Facebook friends but we do have a friend in common, this lets me see a lot of what she posts on her page. Lately most of her posts have been about how much God loves her, and how she is going to cut the negative people out of her life because God wants her to, and God this, and God that. The rest of her posts are usually about going out partying and getting drunk, and occasionally laced with profanity. Most of the photos she has out there are of her dressed up like a street walker heading out to a bar. Oh, but she went to church on Sunday and the message was so awesome

I don't get it. She is one of the rudest people I know, and thankfully while we work in the same office, we are in different groups so I don't actually have to work WITH her very much. I have an idea of how Christian people, true Christians should behave towards others and she is the total opposite of this. Meanwhile, I don't go to church but I try to treat everyone with respect and agree with the saying, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". I think the Golden Rule is something to live by. I'll forgive her for her rudeness, but will probably do my best to just avoid her at work from now on. I forgive, but I don't forget.

It seems like most of the mean, judgmental people I've come across in my life are the ones going to church every week. Is this supposed to give you license to be nasty and judgmental towards everyone else? Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of very nice people who go to church every week, but the ones who are the most vocal about it are the mean ones. The people who don't "brag" about their church attendance are usually a lot nicer.
If there's not a resemblance to Christ, I would add "pseudo" to the front of Christian> when/if referring to that one. Unfortunately, this world is loaded with counterfeits.

"Whenever God erects a house of prayer The devil always builds a chapel there; And 'twill be found, upon examination, The latter has the largest congregation." -- The True Born Englishman

Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM

45,283 posts, read 26,785,821 times
You really don't know if the person is a Christian or not - unless she gives the proper testimony...

It doesn't have to be word for word, but let's say you ask her how to get to heaven - somewhere in her answer should Jesus' death for her sins, and resurrection to new life, and its because of Him that she gets to heaven - not because of any works that she does.

If she gives a good answer - then she probably is a Christian, but an immature Christian that has a head belief, and not a heart transformation.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,174,088 times
Hiding your true self behind "Christianity."

Many are subjected to fears and doubts, not self-confident or assured.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,598,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post

If she's saved she is backsliden. It sound's like she's being a poor witness.

Matthew 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Contrary to popular belief, Christianity is not a self-help do well social club. Jesus Christ didn't come to make bad men good. He came to make dead men live. A dead man must be made alive before he can walk. Christ's demonstration was to his created beings. Evidence for salvation is responding to the written Word of God which indeed makes the person better. Christianity is a transformation and relationship with God through Christ.

The reason why he was such a good teacher, was because he built the machine and gave us the owner's manual to learn how He fixed the machine we broke.

Matthew 7

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM

8,089 posts, read 6,842,297 times
This is why I don't like labels and find them for the most part, meaningless.

My perspective is I believe God is LOVE. This is my personal belief. So it goes without saying that I would believe:

If you follow the path of love (in any given circumstance) you are following God. (no matter what label you put on yourself.) If you follow the path of non-love (in any given circumstance) then you are not following God. (no matter what label you put on yourself.)

No one is "all good" or "all bad".
We're all just folks just trying to make our way in the world and figure out what it is we need to learn. We really just need to learn to love.

Best we can do is just try to see the good in other people and try to bring that out, more than the bad. (including in ourselves too.)

just some thoughts.
hope they made sense.
i'm tired and probably shouldn't be posting to message boards. lol.
peace,
sparrow

Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 PM

9,666 posts, read 9,928,229 times
There is a lot of preacher who judge the world and judge Christians , and look down on people and judge them and condemn people , But little that they know that they are teaching the sheep of Jesus to do just the same.... Where people tolerate Condemning others , and get intrigue in judging others, control others ....... But Jesus needs His people to stop judging sin of others like the scribes and the religious Pharisees , and let Holy Spirit deal with that in His people , and love people and be a blessing , and pray for others to get then saved through Christ....

Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,423,787 times
My momma always told me.."If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all?"

Often we seek out what the badness in people is and therefore are blinded to the goodness that is in them..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,063,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
My momma always told me.."If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all?"

Often we seek out what the badness in people is and therefore are blinded to the goodness that is in them..
The perfect man judges not after appearances but judges righteously. He sees others as he desires them to be. He hears only what he wants to hear. He only sees good in others. In him is no condemation .

Neville Goddard

Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,842,440 times
To identify oneself as a Christian in our society does not at all mean that a person actually is a genuine Bible believing Christian with genuine saving faith. This person may never attend a Christian church, never been properly instructed, never been baptized, never received communion, have all kinds of false beliefs which would place her outside of what is consider orthodox Christian doctrine, and on top of all that, not have any faith at all in Jesus and yet still claim to be a Christian.
Finally, you have to remember that, as the saying goes, "Christians are not perfect, just forgiven." /Christian churches are not "museums for saints, but a hospital for sinners," and finally, Christians are "saints and sinners at the same time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity