Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,875,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Love is earned not demanded. Once it is demanded, it is not real. As abused partners relationship know, demanded love is abusive.

If this God demands love then that God is abusive . That God can show that love is earned that is an entire different question.

The Bible keeps showing that this God demands love not that he earns it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Says who?

Says who?

He deserves it...since he created you.
Anyone who has counseled or had to deal with abused children or a partner in a relationship can tell you that what I've said is true. It is a control issue and a power issue that is exactly what the Bible says God does when he demands love.

Actually it was when my father's sperm met my mother's egg that I was created. The biological process that the Bible used when it tells a story about Jesus being conceived by a virgin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times
Quote:
Anyone who has counseled or had to deal with abused children or a partner in a relationship can tell you that what I've said is true. It is a control issue and a power issue that is exactly what the Bible says God does when he demands love.
Ahh....so according to cupper's life experiences, we ought to accept this point.

Umm...no. The difference is, of course, that the scumbags that would abuse children are not sinless beings, as God is.
Quote:
Actually it was when my father's sperm met my mother's egg that I was created. The biological process that the Bible used when it tells a story about Jesus being conceived by a virgin.
God knew you before then. He died on a cross for your salvation -- if only you would turn to him. That is what love is. Greater love has no man, than to lay down his life for him. But hey....the all-knowing cupper3 has spoken!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Demanding love is abusive. Earning it is not.

By the way was it your christian up bring which introduced that little note of sarcasm directed at me?

Apparently you learned well.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
When freely given and received it costs nothing.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Love is earned not demanded. Once it is demanded, it is not real. As abused partners relationship know, demanded love is abusive.
If this God demands love then that God is abusive . That God can show that love is earned that is an entire different question.
The Bible keeps showing that this God demands love not that he earns it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He deserves it...since he created you.
Quote:
Quote:
What the fundamentalists do not understand about love is that it MUST be entirely voluntary and cannot be faked. This eliminates ALL the rules and enforcement protocols of the churches for controlling their members . . . that is why it is ignored and denied. Love can not be demanded nor forced . . . nor threatened into existence. We come to God willingly or not at all. We try to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . or we do not. There is nothing anyone else can or should do about it.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
People act like God is so nice, and he can be, but that is not all he is. I believe, in fact it is shown, that he has human emotions magnified to (wait for it.... :-P ) god-like levels. Which means he is capable of great passion, great love, but also great anger and rage. In his own words he is a jealous God, he is a vengeful God. Just like men, who was made in his image, he is not just one thing.
The lack of psychological knowledge and understanding is a major drawback in understanding God. All the negative human emotions and traits are the result of our human psychological weaknesses. God has none of those weaknesses . . . so God has none of those emotions. Jealousy, anger, vengeance, greed, lust, envy, pride, etc. are ALL strictly human weaknesses, period. Our ignorant savage ancestors described God in the image of their human rulers . . . as that was all they knew as authority figures.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I'm not sure what that has to do with of the biblical God demanding love.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: deleted God IS love and asks us to join with Him by loving Him and each other.. That is not "demanding" anything.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Could be inferred as insulting.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM

8,110 posts, read 6,851,897 times
In my opinion, the command to "love God" is not quite what some think it is.
This command is for OUR benefit.

How can you love something with all of your heart, all of your mind, all of your soul..... if you do not even KNOW what the object of your love actually IS?

The command is a PUSH for us to seek and come to KNOW the true character of our Creator. Which IS love. God IS LOVE.

And the second command:
Love your neighbor as yourself.

So basically, Seek out and come to know what LOVE truly is. Seek it and begin to know it, Seek it and immerse yourself in it. Then take that knowledge, and spread it outward.

The two commands are pure genius.

peace,
sparrow

Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
God IS love and asks us to join with Him by loving Him and each other.

That is not "demanding" anything.
Unearned and unconditional.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity