Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know that God is not what you'd consider barbaric and savage?
What tells you that the nature of God is that he is Love?
The love we have for our own children should be sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
How do you know that God is not what you'd consider barbaric and savage? What tells you that the nature of God is that he is Love?
Scripture does . . .but my certainty resides in my meditation experiences. The God consciousness I encounter is unconditionally loving and accepting . . . exactly as Jesus is described in scripture.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Scripture does . . .but my certainty resides in my meditation experiences. The God consciousness I encounter is unconditionally loving and accepting . . . exactly as Jesus is described in scripture.

So neither one of you accept the Bible, but you claim to know who God is simply because of your feelings? How does that work? Suppose my own feelings tell me he's wrathful and judgmental? Who is right?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So neither one of you accept the Bible
Did you read my post, Vizio. I said scripture says God IS love and the Bible describes Jesus so we could know the Father. How is that not accepting the Bible?
Quote:
, but you claim to know who God is simply because of your feelings?
Clearly you are not a meditator and have no clue what I am talking about . . . since you think it is mere "feelings."
Quote:
How does that work?
It didn't for over 18 years . . . but then it hit me like a ton of bricks and my atheism was erased instantly. I have described it in detail repeatedly within my many posts.
Quote:
Suppose my own feelings tell me he's wrathful and judgmental? Who is right?
I am because your undisciplined "feelings" have little to do with knowing God . . . especially since you are relying entirely on left brain intellectual processes and words "written in ink" instead of those "written in your heart.". Those who have developed the practice of sincere and devout prayer have similar experiences of God . . . but it takes significant practice and discipline over our right brain and autonomic processes to achieve the proper brain states..

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
So neither one of you accept the Bible, but you claim to know who God is simply because of your feelings? How does that work? Suppose my own feelings tell me he's wrathful and judgmental? Who is right?
I did this exercise earlier this year. They have their own theology. They are their own doctrinal support - or they are getting it from some spirit masquerading as an angel of light.

There is no way you will get them to move under those conditions.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
You are the god you believe in.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Quote:
Got a question for ya. You keep telling us that God is so loving, he just COULDN'T send a person to hell.

How do you know that? What do you base that on?
I can only speak for myself:

I do not say that God is too loving that he could not send a person to hell, God can do whatever pleases Him to do, if it pleases Him to send a person to hell, He could do so.

The point is, why should He do so and does the Bible teach it? I don't think so and have supported this view in great detail, e.g. in these threads:

how do you scripturally defend the traditional doctrine of hell against annihilationism?

The common arguments in favor for endless hell refuted

God's holyness and everlasting punishment

Matthew 25:46

Greek EIS TON AIOoNA - what does it mean?

everlasting punishment - a doctrine based on the "authority" of the Greek philosophers

The god of everlasting torment and the tyrant Antiochus – an analogy

Moral and reasonable objections against the doctrine Of everlasting conscious punishment

A physicalistic approach to Matthew 25:46

the chart that convinced me of universalism

Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Did you read my post, Vizio. I said scripture says God IS love and the Bible describes Jesus so we could know the Father. How is that not accepting the Bible?
Because the same Bible says that God is wrathful and that we must be saved from that wrath.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
So neither one of you accept the Bible, but you claim to know who God is simply because of your feelings?
How does that work? Suppose my own feelings tell me he's wrathful and judgmental? Who is right?
Believing is predicated on what you feel, read or think about a subject, it's not that which you know in your heart through the Spirit.
Because you see everything from the mindset of emotionalism, you will believe what you believe; until you no longer believe it!

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-01-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Because the same Bible says that God is wrathful and that we must be saved from that wrath.
No it does not say God IS wrathful. You just think it does. You are the god you believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity