Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,688,791 times

Advertisements

Sola Scriptura has validity, but within limits. The entire Protestant Reformation sprang from one simple fact: The RCC was (and still is) doing a whole lot of things that directly contradicted the Bible. Thusly, Sola Scriptura fulfills a useful purpose.

The trouble with Sola Scriptura is that the Bible never claims to be the inerrant source of all truth. It also doesn't offer enough information on far to many points of Christian belief and practice. The First Council of Nicaea was the first of many instances where the early Christian Church tried to sort out details that were not explicitly set forth in Scripture. Matters such as the Trinity or Ex Nihilo Creation are doctrines that were established as inviolable truth by those very councils, yet they are never explicitly set forth in scripture. For some reason, most "Sola Scriptura" Protestant Christians accept them as Biblical Truth. The very canonization of the books of the Bible were the works of those same councils: So one must rely on a council of Bishops who lived several centuries after the time of the apostles to definitively say which books are legitimately "God's Word." This means that the very contents of the Bible are not truly Sola Scriptura. One cannot establish the canon of the Old and New Testaments via the Biblical text alone. When placed under any real scrutiny, Sola Scriptura pretty much collapses in on itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Since you are a trinitarian Christian, Vizio, I'm assuming you accept the 4th and 5th century creeds which established the doctrine of the Trinity.
I accept the Biblical passages that outline it. Of course, the creeds are merely formulating the teaching in an easy-to-understand format for the Biblically illiterate.
Quote:

You may not repeat these as a part of your worship services, but you clearly believe they are an accurate description of the nature of God and the relationship between the members of the "Trinity." What was it about the Toms, Dicks, and Harrys who penned those Creeds that make you believe they were inspired?
The big difference is that they actually got those from the Bible, not from some special revelation, feeling, or whatever.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
I believe in Sola Scriptura. If it's not in the bible I don't believe it. YES, I agree that there were "many other things", of course the world could not contain it all. BUT I also belive it comes down to where your faith is. I have faith that the scriptures are inspired word of God, and he wants us ALL to be saved. I have faith that whatever God wanted me to know is in the Holy Bible. Doubting there is more to know that wasn't written is having doubt that God didn't know what he was doing when he gave the inspiration to the writers. I believe if there IS something that wasn't written, God being the know all Father that he is, would not punish me for something I am unaware of because it's not in the bible.
There are 33,000 Protestant sects with 33,000 different Sola Scriptura.

You said:

Quote:
God being the know all Father that he is, would not punish me for something I am unaware of because it's not in the bible.
Are you admitting that Jews are also saved? They are unaware of things in the New Testament. But, they believe in God.

There was no Sola Scriptura at the onset of Christianity. The term did not appear until the reformation (1500 years after Christianity had taken a foothold).

Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I accept the Biblical passages that outline it. Of course, the creeds are merely formulating the teaching in an easy-to-understand format for the Biblically illiterate. The big difference is that they actually got those from the Bible, not from some special revelation, feeling, or whatever.
Apparently, that's a feeling, which is not actually factual, nor proven.
It appears that you read into things based on emotion or sentiment.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Apparently, that's a feeling, which is not actually factual, nor proven.
It appears that you read into things based on emotion or sentiment.

No...I accept those things based on the fact that they are printed in the Bible--which is established as being God's word. Supposedly we all agree on that point.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM

198 posts, read 261,496 times
Quote:
So I'm taking it you don't accept the Nicene Creed. Would that be correct?
Correct

Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times
Quote:
I accept the Biblical passages that outline it.
Yeah, me too.

Quote:
The big difference is that they actually got those from the Bible, not from some special revelation, feeling, or whatever.
From the Bible? Good grief.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-23-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, me too.

From the Bible? Good grief.
Yes. Im curious.....do you know how the doctrine of the trinity is formed?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
[Moderator cut: Orphaned

One careful look from the suggested link states:
"Obviously, there are significant theological differences between the main branches of Christianity – Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodox Church, Anglicanism, Nontrinitarianism, and Nestorianism. In fact, many might argue that some denominations are not Christianity at all."
"In fact, many might argue that some denominations are not Christianity at all." .... ya think?

Last edited by june 7th; 08-24-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times
Quote:
Yes. Im curious.....do you know how the doctrine of the trinity is formed?
Far better than you do, it appears. But if you want to discuss it, I suggest we do so on another thread devoted to that topic. I mentioned it for one reason only, and that was to point out that so many Protestants will insist that they believe in Sola Scriptura and yet in the same breath insist that they believe in the Trinity (which was not considered doctrine until after 325 A.D.). Now the Catholics also believe in the Trinity, but they at least acknowledge that it's an extra-biblical doctrine. Creeds are not the same as the Bible, no matter how much you want to insist that they are. I had a lengthy discussion with a Protestant who was firmly committed to the doctrine of Sola Scriptura and yet he constantly quoted from the 1646 Westminster Confession of Faith. He was simply incapable of understanding why I took issue with his claiming to believe in Sola Scriptura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity