U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,083,018 times

Advertisements

Jesus will say: " I don't know you..."

They have their reward. Their names will not be found in the Book of Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM

265 posts, read 560,749 times
hey you, pay up...............!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM

25,084 posts, read 14,248,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i cant stand it when they sit on their golden thrones and wear such flashy clothes and jewelry and then ask for money. there are children starving in the world (!!!) so even if they wont give up some of that money to actually help people, they should be more modest in appearance so people like me dont immediately judge them as selfish con-artists.
I totally agree. There is something wrong when just a few faring sumptuously while the masses are struggling to overcome. How can a true Christian display wealth in excess to people less fortunate and then ask the less fortunate to donate to their cause. Now I do believe that some tel-evans. may really be sincere Christians. However more and more I am concerned that a great many of them have lost their first love. No man can serve God and money. I saw on the news where a popular pastorial team were giving themselves a million dollars each in yearly salaries- while preaching to the world "first fruits". Encouraging people to give a whole months salary or even a year as a first fruits offering to the Lord and if you didn't have it to give in a lump sum you could make payments on it. In what world does any pastor taking money from God's people deserve a 1 million dollar salary and in the case of this couple 2 million? They say the money is from investments and other ventures, but where is the capital coming from to invest and go into other ventures? Something is not right here and I don't think God is pleased. I notice I don't watch Christian tv much any more and now I know why. I can no longer hear their voices and that is sad.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,112,466 times
Quote:
I don't watch Christian tv much any more and now I know why. I can no longer hear their voices and that is sad.
It is sad, Sun queen. God bless.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM

4,052 posts, read 6,397,744 times
Pat Robertson has a net worth of somewhere between $200 million to 1 billion. Somehow that doesn't seem to fit the teachings of Jesus.
Never trust a minister who owns more than one suit.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Never trust a minister who owns more than one suit.
Jesus told us that fine clothes belong in palaces. He would not wear a suit today, but ordinary clothes. He would not wear a diamond ring or drive a Lexus. The next time I move and choose a new fellowship, the first thing I am going to do is see how the pastor lives. If he's living higher than most of the congregation then I'll keep looking.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 AM

And now we learn of the $10,000,000 note on Jeremiah Wright's house. I pray that God will rebuke those that make a mockery of Christian faith, and deceive true believers for their selfish personal gain.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 PM

41 posts, read 109,290 times
Actually, if you really study it out, Jesus was quite wealthy. Judas was his 'bookkeeper' and his garments were made of fine materials. The lady with the alabaster box (very valuable as well) gave that to Jesus, the wise men gave extremely valuable things to Him at His birth, etc. etc.
So now we are supposed to be led by a poor man who can't afford a nice pair of shoes? Who drives a car that the door is duct-taped shut? Hmm, doesn't add up to me.
Tithing is a Biblical principle, and if you believe it you do it. If not, then I guess you think these televangelists are just out to get rich. Have you looked at any of the ministries these people run? What kind of missions fields they are in and how much these trips cost?
In my church, we believe in the principle of seed-time and harvest. You sow your seed (your tithe of 10%), then God will increase your harvest. We don't HAVE to tithe, we make that decision. But it's what the Bible says, and it's what we believe. The money isn't the object. It's the sacrifice. In the Bible they would give up one of their herd of animals, and God didnt' want the sickly half dead cow with only 3 legs. He wanted the best. So the Bible says, anyway. You can take it or leave it, I guess. I believe it.
So, when I give my tithe to my church, do I worry about who is spending it and on what? Nope. That's not my problem. God wants to see the sacrifice and the obedience from me, so that's what I give him. Yes, my pastor drives an expensive car. Yes, he has a nice home. Yes, he buys expensive, nice suits. But contrary to popular belief, all the money people give does not go into his bank account! Yes, he's paid from that. But when he travels to other churches to speak, those are paid events. And (because he is financially wise!) he invests his money. He doesn't rely on us to pay his house note.
What I'm saying is that if you don't believe people should tithe, and you say you believe the Bible, maybe you should take a 2nd look. Like I mentioned before, I don't want to follow someone who is broke down! How are we supposed to build God's kingdom and minister to the world when we can't afford a Big Mac???

Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,046,311 times
There is nothing wrong with being wealthy. There is something wrong with teaching the wrong thing.

The Bible is clear on how Christians are to give. 1 Cor. 16:2 Acts 11:29 2 Cor. 8:12 We need to keep that in mind when we are looking for a congergation to identify with. When considering the context of what one is reading and who it is written to, the bible doesn't specify christians are to give a tenth like the hebrews written in Ex. 23:19; Dt. 26:1; Lev. 27:30. That was written long before the start of Christianity.

Second we need to make sure the leadership of the congergation is chosen according to scripture. Just because someone can hoop and holla and make people feel good doesn't mean that they should be in the pulpit. In the context of scripture Pastor Elder Shephard Bishop are all one in the same. Eph 4:11 Paul speaks on the group of people that are to lead the congergation of Ephesus. Not one man!!! In Acts 20:28 Paul again speaks of Pastors however he is using the term to feed or to care for. The other thing to consider these individuals must meet scriptural qualification 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9, and they serve in a plurality over a single congregation Titus 1:5; Acts 14:23; 1 Pet. 5:1-2

When we consider what the bible says and compare it to what the status quo is in "christiandom" we see some contradiction. When we stick with the bible and allow Christ to be the head of his church we come up with a totally different picture.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,491,222 times
Smile "i Do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Some of these people may be wolves in sheeps' clothing and no, I don't think it is being judgmental for Christians to speak out against sin in the church. In fact, I think we have a responsibility to do so. We do need to warn people about false teaching etc. And, no, we don't need to be gullible. But that said, I think we have to also be careful about getting truly judgmental about people in positions of ministry. Maybe we don't like or even agree with their style but only God knows their heart. At the end of the day, He and He alone will separate the wheat from the tares. Does anyone else hear my heart on this?
You're exactly right;
The wheat and the tares will be separated.
The baseline is the heart;
And unfortunately only God know the heart of man.
But kaykay, I'm into fruit testing too.
There should not be a homeless individual anywhere in America, with gazillion ministries and prosperity.
I do get overwhelmed when someone in dire need, go to the church and they refer them a homeless shelter and offer food basket and prayer...
Please pray for me, I'm having hard time over this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or