U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,868,004 times

Advertisements

Christmas & Easter Only

This is a very important time for the Church. Only Easter presents a greater opportunity to have many come to faith in Christ. Those who do not attend a home church, will attend Christmas services.

A very,very important time indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,720,872 times
we celebrate everything, although my wife doesnt understand why I celebrate St paddys day-lol

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,820,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I don't because it's origins are deeply rooted in it. The problem is, people will not do the proper research to see if these things are so. I have, and the answers are quite real. christmas
This link is complete legalism. The scriptures are taken way out of context as well. Whether He was born on Dec. 25 or April 18 makes no matter. We are on a different calendar system than in the days of Christ. To me this sounds like legalism...holding to the letter of the law. Didn't the Saducees and Pharisees hold to the law like this?

This is most definitely a time to remember and reflect. It's a day set aside to praise God for bringing a savior into the world. Yes there has been many additions to the holiday like Christmas trees, presents and the like. When we give gifts at our house we remind our children that we are giving gifts as a reminder that God gave us the ultimate gift, Jesus, the Messiah.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-14-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

3,621 posts, read 7,021,394 times
While the idea of a winter celebration to honor the gradual return of light to the world long pre-dates Christianity, the celebration of Christmas is as much a Christian holiday as Hanukah (another celebration of light) is Jewish.

Even if the birth of Christ didn't happen until the spring, it is still important for humans to mark the returning of light to the world on the winter solstice.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM

3,621 posts, read 7,021,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Ditto! Sometimes I think we shouldn't be so busy, tho... (Maybe it's just me! I get tired of people...)
I wish we'd still celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. Imagine being able to do your shopping during Advent, and then having 12 days for the family get togethers and parties and tours of light displays. I'd much rather do that than cram everything together in the short weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,720,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I wish we'd still celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. Imagine being able to do your shopping during Advent, and then having 12 days for the family get togethers and parties and tours of light displays. I'd much rather do that than cram everything together in the short weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
unless your like my wife that starts Christmas shopping in January

Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 3,922,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I don't because it's origins are deeply rooted in it. The problem is, people will not do the proper research to see if these things are so. I have, and the answers are quite real. christmas
Well, Christmas may have some pagan roots, but frankly, I think that whoever wrote the article referred to in the link is over the top. I seriously doubt that God is overly concerned with Christmas trees, mistletoe, a calendar date, tinsel, lights, and presents. The author of the article appears to have a bit of an agenda of his own, since he, (or she), obviously has a dislike of the Catholic church. One of the sentences in the next to the last paragraph is very telling, "My friends, it is not us that should be anathema, but the pagan blasphemous Catholic religion! They stole it from the heathen, and give it to everyone else." Now, I don't agree with everything in the Catholic belief system, but this strikes me as being just a tiny bit vitriolic.

And, according to the same article, those of us who don't get too excited about any pagan connections to Christmas apparently are, "closed to God's truth". It appears that the person who wrote this article feels they have more of a monoply on God's truth, than those who celebrate Christmas. Personally, I have no patience with such legalistic thinking. I don't care whether folks celebrate Christmas or not, but to basically take others to task for doing so, and to make such sweeping judgements, is out of line.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

43,181 posts, read 20,163,976 times
To this day, Christmas is still a "Pagan holiday" for those who only think of the holiday festivities, getting drunk, and the gifts, and without knowing, or acknowledging the real reason for Christmas. I hope those who think of it as just another holiday will really look at their perspective of the holiday, and think about the best gift our Heavenly Father gave us in the birth of Jesus. It's a gift that will last for eternity if we accept Him, which is not something we can say about the typical gifts people give for Christmas.

Like all devout followers of Jesus, we celebrate Christmas for only ONE reason.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,820,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
It appears that the person who wrote this article feels they have more of a monoply on God's truth, than those who celebrate Christmas. Personally, I have no patience with such legalistic thinking. I don't care whether folks celebrate Christmas or not, but to basically take others to task for doing so, and to make such sweeping judgements, is out of line.

I didn't make it that far in the article. Was it a lowercase "c" or uppercase "C"? Reason I'm asking is because a lowercase "C" means the author is referring to the christian church as a whole. If he put an uppercase "C" then he is specifically referring to the Catholic church as you noted.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM

20,055 posts, read 21,112,184 times
Several people have given great examples of why Christians celebrate Christmas.
I have not been able to buy Christmas presents for four years due to being unemployed but it does not stop me from celebrating Christmas, it has not robbed me of the joy of Christmas, in fact it's been good because now I put more emphasis on the real reason for Christmas, the birth of Jesus, my Savior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity