Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I know of people who like little children...Is that what you are talki.g about?..
Maybe you're hanging around the wrong crowd?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I didn't say it did - I said some christians would say so.

Wrong. They may say it's a penalty of sin, but it's not sin itself.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
HIV is a virus that rapidly mutates in a single individual, so, that makes it difficult to find a cure. Eventually having the HIV virus in you leads to the physical affects called AIDS.

The disease itself is not a sin. And viruses can not sin. Humans can sin and in doing so may unnecessarily place ourselves at risk of certain outcomes that can lead to suffering.

Suffering itself is not a sin and may not result from sin. The innocent and good can be tested with suffering too.

But it seems hard to argue against the proposition that our choices, our sins, or if a drug addict our enslavement to a particular substance and or mode of using that substance, can often, and likely will, lead to suffering at some point directly related to that choice or sin.

One can't be 100% protected from an STD. Even a celibate person can get "crabs" from sitting on a toilet seat infested with them I've been told. But through certain behaviors we can drastically reduce our chances of acquiring an STD. Not having sex reduces the chance the most. Second to that would be being in faithful, monogamous relationship. For the sexually promiscuous, for prostitutes, for drug addicts and alcoholics it's best to wear a latex condom if one is going to have sex. If not for yourself than for the person you are may potentially infect if you knowingly are carrying an STD yourself. But latex condoms are not 100% foolproof. They have a failure rate too.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post

I was also under the impression that it was illegal for people with it to give blood at blood banks or that the blood would be tested.

This was in the era when they didn't test - do you recall screen actors wiping their mouths with alcohol swabs, so they wouldn't contract AIDS? There was a time when they had no clue about how AIDS was transmitted, let alone how it showed up in the blood (or that it could be dormant for a period of time, hence the distinction between being HIV Positive and having AIDS)
To my knowledge blood banks won't accept blood from those that admit to being in high risk groups for HIV (e.g., homosexuals, drug addicts, and for some reason anyone that set foot in Africa crica 1970s or earlier).

Part of this reason is the detection capability of HIV tests. They don't provide 100% certain results in either direct. One can receive a false-negative result and actually be HIV positive or one can receive a false-positive result and actually be HIV negative.

In general, my understanding is that the "sensitivity" of HIV tests are pretty close to 100% accuracy but not quite there. So, the tests can be pretty good at detecting the presence of the virus in humans.

However, if ever receiving results from an HIV test that are positive for the virus, it is best to get a second test done at a different facility/lab to find out for sure.

Quote:
This is so 1990's - not much about sharing needles any longer, not a really big issue - worse case scenario, you can clean with chlorine and rinse thoroughly.
IV drug users remain a high risk group. The greatest risk group is not homosexual men or IV drug users per se but rather male IV drug users having sex with other men.

Quote:
How about G-d created good things and the devil (or people) took the good and created a distortion from it, making the item bad - love is from G-d and is good; lust is a distorted form of love, and it is bad - we are not to lust in our hearts but love others.

For all of this and so much more, I have a greater amount of Love for Azrael than I could have ever imagined declaring in a public forum.

Imagination is a real killer. Education replaces imagination nicely, so we don't have to worry about hocus pocus and fairy tales any more.
I don't see anything wrong with subscribing to the view God created bacteria and viruses. The human digestive system needs bacteria anyways, they form a symbiotic relationship with humans.

There are species of bacteria pathogenic to humans. And certain bacteria located in certain regions or organs/orifices of the human body can cause infection when moved to a different orifice not their natural habitat. This is the case with bacteria in the anal region that is moved to the mouth.

Viruses are abundant on earth. In fact viruses are all around us and humans come into contact with them on a daily basis. However, most viruses can not penetrate the human protective layers of skin. With respect to abrasions and cuts our immune system has rapid mechanisms to identify foreign bodies, isolate them, attack and destroy them, or quarantine them for years or a human life time.

The HIV virus mutates so rapidly in a human body that cells in our immune system that attack and guard our body from pathogens, eventually will not recognize a newly mutated HIV virus as one of the threats it picked up on.

So sinister is this virus it uses our own cells DNA against us.

The origins of HIV are unknown. Hypotheses exist, but no one knows for certain how HIV came about. But discovering its origins may be less important that discovering a cure for AIDS and some way of permanently quarantining the HIV viruses in the cellular defensive structures of the individuals body.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
HIV is a virus that rapidly mutates in a single individual, so, that makes it difficult to find a cure. Eventually having the HIV virus in you leads to the physical affects called AIDS.

The disease itself is not a sin. And viruses can not sin. Humans can sin and in doing so may unnecessarily place ourselves at risk of certain outcomes that can lead to suffering.

Suffering itself is not a sin and may not result from sin. The innocent and good can be tested with suffering too.

But it seems hard to argue against the proposition that our choices, our sins, or if a drug addict our enslavement to a particular substance and or mode of using that substance, can often, and likely will, lead to suffering at some point directly related to that choice or sin.

One can't be 100% protected from an STD. Even a celibate person can get "crabs" from sitting on a toilet seat infested with them I've been told. But through certain behaviors we can drastically reduce our chances of acquiring an STD. Not having sex reduces the chance the most. Second to that would be being in faithful, monogamous relationship. For the sexually promiscuous, for prostitutes, for drug addicts and alcoholics it's best to wear a latex condom if one is going to have sex. If not for yourself than for the person you are may potentially infect if you knowingly are carrying an STD yourself. But latex condoms are not 100% foolproof. They have a failure rate too.
After reading the work of Dr. Peter Duesberg, I'm not even sure that HIV is the cause of AIDS. Look him up.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:08 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
After reading the work of Dr. Peter Duesberg, I'm not even sure that HIV is the cause of AIDS. Look him up.
He's an HIV/AIDS denialist and his theories are based on junk science. Ask all the HIV positive Aids Denialists about this science - oh wait you can't they are dead because they died from a disease that is treatable with highly effective medication to suppress a virus that actually exists. The sad thing about this group is that they expect people to believe that they died of a rare form of something anything other than the predictable opportunistic diseases a person gets whose immune system has been decimated by a virus because It can't ward them off because its so weak. HIV's existence has proven with Electron Microscopy and practicably all medical professionals in the entire world substantiate its existence.. I know who I'm going to believe.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-14-2013 at 01:33 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 01:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

The triple cocktail medication available is very successful in suppressing the virus to undetectable levels in most people and keeping the immune system strong. If untreated an HIV positive person will eventually develop Aids and die (Tommy Morrison the latest) unnecessary statistic.. Individuals treated with triple cocktail therapy since 1996 when they became available have for 15 years now been able to maintain predictable levels of viral undetectability and immune strength to keep opportunistic infections at bay. The sooner one is treated after infection the less damage to the immune system and the longer they live. The latest estimates are that a person treated early on with minimal to no immune system damage and is treated with medication that predictably render the virus undetectable will have a normal lifespan as any HIV negative individual would.

As for its origins - I think its pretty widely accepted that it crossed from Chimps to humans SIV to HIV in the 1920's or 30's. This isn't the first virus to cross to human from animals and wont be the last. I don't think god has anything to do with it but if he does than he doesn't discriminate.. SARS, Influenza, Ebola etc.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-14-2013 at 01:29 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 PM

77 posts, read 74,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Where in the bible ( Chapter and Verse ) does it say that HIV or AIDS is a sin ?

HIV or AIDS are not sins, but they are diseases. Jehovah told us not to fornicate, so if we don't fornicate, then we won't have these disease.

*Galatians 5:19-21: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity