U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 AM

349 posts, read 358,824 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and have grown up as a Catholic my whole life. While I don't really care for the religion all that much anymore, I still believe in the trinity, Jesus CHrist etc etc..

However there are many things I disagree with the church about...

First off, how can suicide be unforgivable? The bible clearly states that the one unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

What is this nonsense about mortal and venial sins? I am pretty sure the bible does not give any backing towards this illogical concept. Isn't sin all the same? I think it's absurd that someone who believes in Christ and tries to serve him to the best of his/her abilities will be sent to hell if they die with unrepented mortal sins. For example, if there is a man who has been a somewhat good Catholic all his life but falls into the dark side for a while and dies... Is he sent to hell because (for example) he beat his wife? Or had sex with a prostitute?

Why do I have to go to a priest to repent my mortal sins? Why will I be condemned to hell if I leave the catholic church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
I am 20 years old and have grown up as a Catholic my whole life. While I don't really care for the religion all that much anymore, I still believe in the trinity, Jesus CHrist etc etc..

First off, how can suicide be unforgivable? The bible clearly states that the one unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spirit.

What is this nonsense about mortal and venial sins? I am pretty sure the bible does not give any backing towards this illogical concept. Isn't sin all the same? I think it's absurd that someone who believes in Christ and tries to serve him to the best of his/her abilities will be sent to hell if they die with unrepented mortal sins. For example, if there is a man who has been a somewhat good Catholic all his life but falls into the dark side for a while and dies... Is he sent to hell because (for example) he beat his wife? Or had sex with a prostitute?

Why do I have to go to a priest to repent my mortal sins? Why will I be condemned to hell if I leave the catholic church?
A Catholic with a "fundamentalist heart". I suggest you leave the RCC right away. You are in the wrong religion my friend. Catholicism is not for you. Not everyone can be a Catholic.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,065,454 times
I'd say its time for you to go Pro! (protestant lol)

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

349 posts, read 358,824 times
^ The thing is.. I don't really agree with Protestantism also. I believe in the CC in most things, however I disagree with it on many others. I think I may just become a free lance Christian lol..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Status: "Living rent-free in campís head, too." (set 9 hours ago)

16,365 posts, read 8,905,753 times
Quote:

Welcome to the Protestant Church!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,065,454 times
Quote:
^ The thing is.. I don't really agree with Protestantism also. I believe in the CC in most things, however I disagree with it on many others. I think I may just become a free lance Christian lol..
In that case, you'll fit in perfectly here at this forum! lol

Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Quote:
This forum is full of Bible only Christians that stay home of Sundays. You are fine!

Maybe you are too young to understand Catholicism. Think about old traditions, think about the rites, the rich history.

Regarding confession: Any priest will tell say to you that it is OK to talk to God all day long on your own if you so desire. And on top of that you can also tell the priest you already talked to God. Really? Who cares!

I believe there is such a thing as charismatic Catholics. You may fit right in! Lastly, religion is man made therefore all religions are imperfect.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,818,836 times
Quote:

Your asking the right questions. Keep God's Word as your compass and it will lead you. You only need to fellowship with us that fellowship in God's Truth.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,818,836 times
Quote:
Look a the crowd here of universalists. Look at how they conduct themselves compared to the others. Look at their arguments compared to the others. Look at their behavior compared to others. Compare what is being said to God's Word. Get a Bible Study tool like e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge. It's free and you can download Bible translations into it for free. I highly recommend the King James version with Stron'gs and a Greek text with Strong's and parsings, and Young's Literal Translation. Get whatever else you desire as well.

I tell you this because you have to become proficient in seeing through the lies of many denominational doctrines that are only a deterent to saving Faith.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,075,530 times
Have you sought out the insight of your parish priest on your questions? Don't rely on any explainations from posters here. While some are very well informed, most are not. Present your concerns directly to your Church and see what explainations your receive. I can speak from experience. I am a cradle catholic. When I was your age, I had many of the same questions. But, we tend to seek advice from people who we think will agree with us and confirm our suspicisions. That's a mistake. Present your questions to a true authority on the church and then make your conclusions. I spent the better part of my teens and early 20's in question of my faith. What made a difference to me was my wife decided (on her own) that she wanted to convert to the Catholic Church. See enrolled in the RCIA program and I attended with her. It was very eye opening to me. Then later, as we had children, I was very active in their 1st Communion and Confirmation preperations and that too help strenghten my faith in the Church.

Good luck to you. I'd be interested to hear back from you after a discussion with your pastor. If you still feel unsure then, at least you'll know you consulted a true expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity