U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,481,055 times

Advertisements

I ask for forgiveness:

Christians are to avoid familiar converse with all who disgrace the Christian name. Such are only fit companions for their brethren in sin, and to such company they should be left, whenever it is possible to do so. Alas, that there are many called Christians, whose conversation is more dangerous than that of heathens!
—Matthew Henry Concise

Are we guilty of this as Christians?
"We" meaning collectively and corporately; If so we must confess this and repent
(forsake it all together).
I personally ask for forgiveness for myself and any Christian (leaders alike)who have disgraced the name of Christ,and prostituting the word of God. being hypocritical; striving with words of God; prideful and puffed up (self-righteous attitude) and any divisiveness. I apologize to Christians and Non-believers alike

Spiritual pride and false doctrines tend to bring in, and to spread such scandals. How dreadful the effects of sin! The devil reigns where Christ does not. And a man is in his kingdom, and under his power, when not in Christ. The bad example of a man of influence is very mischievous; it spreads far and wide. Corrupt principles and examples, if not corrected, would hurt the whole church. Believers must have new hearts, and lead new lives. Their common conversation and religious deeds must be holy. So far is the sacrifice of Christ our Passover for us, from rendering personal and public holiness unnecessary, that it furnishes powerful reasons and motives for it. Without holiness we can neither live by faith in him, nor join in his ordinances with comfort and profit.
The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences

Chapter 5
THE APOSTLE BLAMES THE CORINTHIANS FOR CONNIVANCE AT AN INCESTUOUS PERSON; 5:1-8
The apostle notices a flagrant abuse, winked at by the Corinthians. Party spirit, and a false notion of Christian liberty, seem to have saved the offender from censure. Grievous indeed is it that crimes should sometimes be committed by professors of the gospel, of which even heathens would be ashamed. Spiritual pride and false doctrines tend to bring in, and to spread such scandals. How dreadful the effects of sin! The devil reigns where Christ does not. And a man is in his kingdom, and under his power, when not in Christ. The bad example of a man of influence is very mischievous; it spreads far and wide. Corrupt principles and examples, if not corrected, would hurt the whole church. Believers must have new hearts, and lead new lives. Their common conversation and religious deeds must be holy. So far is the sacrifice of Christ our Passover for us, from rendering personal and public holiness unnecessary, that it furnishes powerful reasons and motives for it. Without holiness we can neither live by faith in him, nor join in his ordinances with comfort and profit.
The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Cor 5:7-13 (KJV)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,352,579 times
Yhwhshalomjr...I am a little confused as to what you are saying, what Matthew Henry is saying, and what is the Bible. Sorry. I'm just not sure how to respond when I can't tell who I'm responding to.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,481,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Yhwhshalomjr...I am a little confused as to what you are saying, what Matthew Henry is saying, and what is the Bible. Sorry. I'm just not sure how to respond when I can't tell who I'm responding to.
MY QUOTEI
Quote:
Yhwhshalomjr] I ask for forgiveness:

Are we guilty of this as Christians?
"We" meaning collectively and corporately; If so we must confess this and repent
(forsake it all together).
I personally ask for forgiveness for myself and any Christian (leaders alike)who have disgraced the name of Christ,and prostituting the word of God. being hypocritical; striving with words of God; prideful and puffed up (self-righteous attitude) and any divisiveness. I apologize to Christians and Non-believers alike

Sorry Dojilynn;
I was typing fast this AM
God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity