Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,459 times

Advertisements

Whether we have a French bible or a Hebrew bible water baptism mean
water baptism today---John 3:5.

Whether we have a Spanish bible or a Russian bible modest attire mean
modest attire today----1 Peter 3:3.

Whether we have a scroll or a bible women church rules mean women
church rules----1 Cor. 14:34-35.

Whether we have a Italian bible or a Scottish bible the Sabbath mean the
Sabbath today---Hebrews 4.

30,000 denominations came from man having their own intrepretation of all
the bible----2 Peter 1:20-21.

The Holy Spirit don't a Jerry view of the bible and a Sam view of the bible
anywhere---2 Peter 1:20-21.

God do the teaching and intrepreting only through the bible only---1 John 2:27.

Time for 100% bible believers to form unity---Psalms 133:1 and John 8:31.

Anybody can have a LOVING AL meeting----1 John 2:15 and John 8:32.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
All languages matter to some degree when translating, as translating something an Italian is saying into English for an English speaking audience is something of an art. The person doing the translation has to make word choices they think best convey the ideas and intent of the speaker if a word or more are not directly translatable into English.

And Jesus spoke Aramaic we are told. The original New Testament was composed in archaic Greek, so, the words of Jesus had to be translated from Aramaic to Greek. I don't read Greek let alone archaic Greek, so, when I read the New Testament written in English I'm reading a translation from archaic Greek.

(Words in any language or era can have connotations that future generations may be clueless about--an example are the "brothers" of Jesus, as cousins were often referred to as "brothers" in that time period among Hebrews of that region.)

Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Yes God knows all the languages of the world and some languages with are obsolete today , and He will also know If a person of a different language where to be deceptive and sin , as No one can escape the judgment of God by languages

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
30,000 denominations came from man having their own interpretation of all
the bible----2 Peter 1:20-21.
There are a number of studies trying to determine exactly how many Christian denomination there actually are. 30,000 is and outdated number. Just to bring you up to speed, the more recent estimate is 43,000 (according to research done in 2012).
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resourc...balmission.pdf

I do agree that getting back to old-school Christian practices would be a very good thing, but I think it's going to take something much bigger than "let's all read the Bible together" to settle the multitude of doctrinal debates and disagreements.

Seems like now would be a great time to send back Moses (or something along those lines.) I think that the whole of Christendom could use that proverbial 40 years in the wilderness to allow God to drag them all (kicking and screaming if necessary) back into true unity of faith. I do think that a return to some "old fashioned" values would be a big part of that.

Christians: We agree on so much, but our squabbles waste so much time and energy.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 08-30-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 12:05 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There are a number of studies trying to determine exactly how many Christian denomination there actually are. 30,000 is and outdated number. Just to bring you up to speed, the more recent estimate is 43,000 (according to research done in 2012).
http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resourc...balmission.pdf

I do agree that getting back to old-school Christian practices would be a very good thing, but I think it's going to take something much bigger than "let's all read the Bible together" to settle the multitude of doctrinal debates and disagreements.

Seems like now would be a great time to send back Moses (or something along those lines.) I think that the whole of Christendom could use that proverbial 40 years in the wilderness to allow God to drag them all (kicking and screaming if necessary) back into true unity of faith. I do think that a return to some "old fashioned" values would be a big part of that.

Christians: We agree on so much, but our squabbles waste so much time and energy.
I will point out that no one has provided a list of the denominations to back up that silly falsehood...despite my repeated request.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I will point out that no one has provided a list of the denominations to back up that silly falsehood...despite my repeated request.
I expect that in this case, Gordon-Cornwell Theological Seminary -- gordonconwell.edu -- would be you're best bet for soliciting said list. It's their research data after all.

I did make a point of linking the actual data from one of the studies in question in this case. Linking an article that references a reference to a reference is not particularly helpful.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 08-31-2013 at 02:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity