Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

I belong to a small rural United Methodist Church whose membership has dwindled down to nothing due to I think the disdain and dislike of our current pastor. Let just say a lot of our congregation are working class and basically live paycheck to paycheck. Our minister lives in a 5,000 sq. feet house and is very well off. This is due to them working hard and investing well, etc. Tithes and memberships have dropped because I think they are resentful of her. Is this "Christlike" for our members to act this way? No. As a concerned member who does not want to see her home church close up due to dwindeling membership, is their anyway to bridge the gap between the minister and congregation? #concerned#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I belong to a small rural United Methodist Church whose membership has dwindled down to nothing due to I think the disdain and dislike of our current pastor. Let just say a lot of our congregation are working class and basically live paycheck to paycheck. Our minister lives in a 5,000 sq. feet house and is very well off. This is due to them working hard and investing well, etc. Tithes and memberships have dropped because I think they are resentful of her. Is this "Christlike" for our members to act this way? No. As a concerned member who does not want to see her home church close up due to dwindeling membership, is their anyway to bridge the gap between the minister and congregation? #concerned#
As a general rule the most expensive luxury car in the church parking lot belongs to the minister. These men should do like the Catholic priests and take a vow of poverty.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Always thought it was telling that 75% of our elder board at my last church ended up leaving once they got an inside peak at the church's finances. All of our pastors made a decent $50-$60,000 a year salary and my friends on the elder board had no issue with that. It was the pastor's housing allowance that got them upset. If you are a pastor you can take a housing allowance that is tax free and FICA free to cover your mortgage, rent and normal household expenses. The housing allowance would be anywhere from $20-30,000 depending on the length of service of the pastor. Plus the pastors insisted on getting 100% of their health insurance paid, which was worth at least another $10-20,000 a year depending on the age and health of the pastor.

So when your pastor tells you that they only make $50,000 a year, you also need to ask them if they take a housing allowance as well.

That's why I now attend an elder run church that has no paid pastoral staff. Only person on the payroll are the office staff and a few of the nursery staff (trust me, it's money well spent). The elders rotate every couple of weeks to preach.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Normally when a church loses members, its due to a the message that sucks. If the minister thinks a lavish lifestyle is costing her members, she need to buy a auction car and drive to church in that. Im sure there is much more to this story than you are presenting, as most people don't leave a church because the minster is flashy. That is pretty much the sin of coveting and resenting.

Does this minister drive a very fancy car ($50,000+)?
Does this minister always talk about tithing and you robbing God and making other feel guilty when you give?
Does this minister have relevant messages that people can relate to?
Has this minster came up with changes to try to bring in new membership?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Sounds like maybe you should contact your Conference Bishop's office.

They need to be made aware of the situation so they can send someone in to help mend things and renew/refresh the stagnant environment

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Normally when a church loses members, its due to a the message that sucks. If the minister thinks a lavish lifestyle is costing her members, she need to buy a auction car and drive to church in that. Im sure there is much more to this story than you are presenting, as most people don't leave a church because the minster is flashy. That is pretty much the sin of coveting and resenting.

Does this minister drive a very fancy car ($50,000+)?
?
Does this minister have relevant messages that people can relate to?
Has this minster came up with changes to try to bring in new membership?

Does this minister drive a very fancy car ($50,000+) - She has 2, Only 1 I would value at $40,000
Does this minister always talk about tithing and you robbing God and making other feel guilty when you give - She is a firm believer in tithing, but she doesnt necessarily press it to the members. No she doesnt make us feel guilty.
Has this minster came up with changes to try to bring in new membership? - She has tried to instill in the congregation that we need to go into the community and be an outreach to others.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Honestly as an outsider looking in, she' gets no cooperation from the church, as church members just dont really care for her. Jealousy is an weak emotion, and its reared it's head within in some of our members.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Honestly as an outsider looking in, she' gets no cooperation from the church, as church members just dont really care for her. Jealousy is an weak emotion, and its reared it's head within in some of our members.
Is this an independent church where the salary of the minister comes from the pockets of the parishioners?

Why not get rid of the minister?

Find someone that will do it for free.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 AM

This is a United Methodist Church, where the Conference/District of the United Methodist Church assigns the pastor to the church. The minister got reassigned to our church again for another year in July.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Does this minister drive a very fancy car ($50,000+) - She has 2, Only 1 I would value at $40,000
Does this minister always talk about tithing and you robbing God and making other feel guilty when you give - She is a firm believer in tithing, but she doesnt necessarily press it to the members. No she doesnt make us feel guilty.
Has this minster came up with changes to try to bring in new membership? - She has tried to instill in the congregation that we need to go into the community and be an outreach to others.
As for the care issue, unless they can prove it is from their tithes that are purchasing these cars, the members are just bitter it seems. But it sound more like a congratulation that is just looking for something else. The church I went to uses to be over 100+ people but now it is 50-70 a week and most of the people ended up going to bigger churches that had more programs/live praise band etc, or just wanted the feel good doctrines too.

Your minster may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, but may need to downsize. The church I go to now , I fell they need to downsize since it isnt enough members to support all they want to do, but they just operate on the funds they get and the pastor and all of leadership works on no salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity