Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Another exception made when it's convenient. Funny how they come when the person is "one of us". Exceptions are rarely made if the person is "one of them".
Not really. To be honest, I think he's disqualified to be a pastor by virtue of being divorced....but that's up to the church that ordained him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 470,803 times
To me it seems you are boxed in. I am IFB and know of no college or seminary that would train you up to become a pastor.
Schools - fundamental.org

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 104,721 times
Which is the reason I left the IFB movement. That and I think saying God only speaks through 17th century Elizabethan English is stupid (and I love the KJV!) I'm probably closest to a Southern Baptist in my beliefs but unless you are a big name preacher (*cough Charles Stanley cough*) 90% of SBC churches won't consider you. For that reason, I am currently attending an ABC-USA church.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Used to attend an ABC-USA church and the worship pastor was divorced. Had a friend that was a men's pastor in a couple of Calvary Chapels that was divorced and was active in a non-denominational church that had a couple of divorced pastors. Could be tough to be the main pastor, but there might be more opportunity as an associate pastor.

I've seen what goes on behind the scenes at local churches and I would not recommend anyone go into ministry. If you feel called lead a bible study or volunteer to get it out of your system. Used to be married to a pastor and the stress of the job was one (of many) causes of our divorce.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 AM

535 posts, read 966,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
That and I think saying God only speaks through 17th century Elizabethan English is stupid (and I love the KJV!).

Word for Word versions most accurately follow the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts. Generally speaking, the King James Version and its modern counterpart, the New King James Version, are word-for-word translations.
Matthew 18:11 King James Version (KJV) 11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Thought for Thought versions use more up-to-date language and thus are easier to understand—although, again, they are not the best choice for establishing doctrine because they at times involve some interpretation of what the original writers intended to say.
Matthew 18:11 New International Version (NIV)[11] [a] Omitted

Paraphrased versions can be consulted to better grasp the story flow but should not be relied on exclusively to establish doctrine. They should be considered inadequate sources for accurately determining the meaning of any text.
Matthew 18:11 The Message Omitted

A good article online is:Is the Bible you trust a Bible you SHOULD trust?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post

sadly MANY misinterpret Jehovah God swords, even ministers. The scripture at ,(1Timothy 3:2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant,sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach). Now!,where in this verse did they get one MUST NOT be divorced? Concerninga “wife” God's words show he MUST have ONE....wife. It DID NOTsay he must have A WIFE. Jesus showed one can divorced another based on sexual cheating ,(Matt. 5:31,32It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him giveher a writing of divorcement. But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery).

MANY people today divorce just because, or they want someone else. Though people today think it's ok with Jesus or “God”, it's NOT,(Malachi 2:13-16). ALL those who divorced for the WRONG reason..ARE STILL MARRIED to that person in Jehovah and Jesus eyes. so anyone they sex,(the divorcee and divorcer), they are committing adultery. Also an innocent believer can remarry, but ONLY to another believer ,(1Cor. 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord). Though here it says death, if the unbeliever goes and gets a divorce from the believer. The believeris free to remarry, but the unbeliever would be seen as an adultery in Jehovah God's eyes ,(1Cor. 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, lethim depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace). So a divorced man can become a minister of God. peace

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post

Word for Word versions most accurately follow the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts. Generally speaking, the King James Version and its modern counterpart, the New King James Version, are word-for-word translations.
Matthew 18:11 King James Version (KJV) 11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Thought for Thought versions use more up-to-date language and thus are easier to understand—although, again, they are not the best choice for establishing doctrine because they at times involve some interpretation of what the original writers intended to say.
Matthew 18:11 New International Version (NIV)[11] [a] Omitted

Paraphrased versions can be consulted to better grasp the story flow but should not be relied on exclusively to establish doctrine. They should be considered inadequate sources for accurately determining the meaning of any text.
Matthew 18:11 The Message Omitted

A good article online is:Is the Bible you trust a Bible you SHOULD trust?
Interesting. The chart you posted shows the NASB as a more literal translation than the KJV. But the link you posted attacks the NASB. It also doesn't mention the ESV, which was completed a few years ago. It's a very good translation, right over by the NASB.

The KJV was a good translation--but it was working from a limited number of texts. While the translation may be good, the source it used was not the original scriptures. There are others that are simply more complete and appear to be more true to the original text.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

535 posts, read 966,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Interesting. The chart you posted shows the NASB as a more literal translation than the KJV. But the link you posted attacks the NASB. It also doesn't mention the ESV, which was completed a few years ago. It's a very good translation, right over by the NASB.

The KJV was a good translation--but it was working from a limited number of texts. While the translation may be good, the source it used was not the original scriptures. There are others that are simply more complete and appear to be more true to the original text.
Good points. I just grabbed that chart to illustrate the three Bible translation types. No doubt it needs updating. I'm certainly no scholar but I read the NASB original 1901 version was based on the ASV version and is considered literally reliable. The NASB 1995 rewrite is not.
Double Jeopardy: The NASB Update

Something I read yesterday, sorry I don't have the source at hand, compared the KJV's accuracy to manuscripts and texts not available when written, such as The Dead Sea Scrolls, and found it to be 98.3% accurate, even more accurate than some versions written after the other manuscripts and texts were known.

I realize this is no basis by which to judge Bible versions, but I prefer the KJV because of the language. For me, it makes God's Word much more than simply words on a page. I sit, read, chew, reflect on verses much more. I wonder if some of the flap about the KJV language being too difficult to understand was created by publishers who want to sell more Bibles. Grade level comparisons of the Bible versions place the KJV on par with, and even slightly lower than, several other versions.

I certainly do not think there is only one Bible version suitable for all. Any Bible is better than no Bible.

Will they do a CSV (Chat Slang Version) next? LOL.

I don't know anything about the ESV. I googled it. I'm sure you have too.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Good points. I just grabbed that chart to illustrate the three Bible translation types. No doubt it needs updating. I'm certainly no scholar but I read the NASB original 1901 version was based on the ASV version and is considered literally reliable. The NASB 1995 rewrite is not.
Double Jeopardy: The NASB Update

Something I read yesterday, sorry I don't have the source at hand, compared the KJV's accuracy to manuscripts and texts not available when written, such as The Dead Sea Scrolls, and found it to be 98.3% accurate, even more accurate than some versions written after the other manuscripts and texts were known.

I realize this is no basis by which to judge Bible versions, but I prefer the KJV because of the language. For me, it makes God's Word much more than simply words on a page. I sit, read, chew, reflect on verses much more. I wonder if some of the flap about the KJV language being too difficult to understand was created by publishers who want to sell more Bibles. Grade level comparisons of the Bible versions place the KJV on par with, and even slightly lower than, several other versions.

I certainly do not think there is only one Bible version suitable for all. Any Bible is better than no Bible.

Will they do a CSV (Chat Slang Version) next? LOL.

I don't know anything about the ESV. I googled it. I'm sure you have too.

I'm not sure where you get the idea the NASB is less reliable. I have been told that 2nd year Greek students use it as a "cheat" when they have to translate the Gospel of John. It is the closest word-for-word translation you can get.

I personally use the ESV...I do most of my study from it, but I also look to the NASB and the original Greek.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Default least not forget!

The KJV translation says in Romans 11:29, " . . . for the gifts and the calling of God are without repentance." But the other translations say, " . . . for the gifts and calling are irrevocable.

Lean not toward our fleshly understanding, I have been divorced before coming to Christ and beyond a shadow of a doubt I have been called to preach.Because I know how Jeremiah felt when he said:

Jeremiah 20:9

King James Version (KJV)
9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

God is good all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity