Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I would remind you that the greatest commandment is to love God. Loving others is second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Of course, as John's epistle reminds us, if we can't love people, whom we CAN see, how can we love God, whom we CAN'T see.
So, ultimately, if you aren't living by the second command, you can't possibly be living by the first.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
I would remind you that the greatest commandment is to love God. Loving others is second.
You are missing the point! God does not need to be loved. If God needed to be loved he would not be God. If God needed your love he would be no different than a needy human being.

You need to love God's message.

Again, it sounds selfish. Trying to kiss God to get on his good side. God knows what is going on.

Last edited by Julian658; 09-04-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
I would venture to say it is inseparable: "Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen."

Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I would venture to say it is inseparable: "Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen."
Exactly!!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are missing the point! God does not need to be loved. If God needed to be loved he would not be God. If God needed your love he would be no different than a needy human being.

Again, it sounds selfish. Trying to kiss God to get on his good side. God knows what is going on.
Then why did Jesus remind us of the first commandment, "Love the Lord God with all your heart, mind, and soul?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I do not disagree. One stems from the other.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Then why did Jesus remind us of the first commandment, "Love the Lord God with all your heart, mind, and soul?
You are taking this literally. God does not need your love. God wants you to love what God stands for.

You guys humanize God way too much.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
You are taking this literally. God does not need your love. God wants you to love what God stands for.

You guys humanize God way too much.

I like the way you put that. Yeah, if we love what God IS (love) then that will be apparent in the way we live.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly!!!!
Quote:
You just don't seem to get that it is ALL about what is in our consciousness . . . (our state of mind). When we produce love in our consciousness . . . our thoughts and feelings are "born of God" because God IS Love. When we produce anger, hatred, etc. in our consciousness . . . our thoughts and feelings are "born of the Serpent" (Satan). This is why Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount said not to even get angry with your brothers and sisters. It is ALL about what we produce in our consciousness, jimmie . . . NOT some magical nonsense and folderol.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
"Be Excellent to eachother!"

...Oh wait, I was trying to post on "The best quote in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure" thread. My Mistake

I've answered this question on several other threads and I'd rather not try to remember my exact wording. Besides, there are so many good answers here already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity