Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

356 posts, read 1,128,811 times

Advertisements

I decided to post here rather than the main forum because of the "promise" of no debate in the sub forum. I have thanked some of you in the past for just being who you are and stating your beliefs, listening to mine, with no judgement.... Now I just want to share.
I have had several meaningful discussions with people in my face to face world recently about my doubts of my own doubts (clear as mud) and have begun to feel a warmth rush into me that I haven't felt in years. Last night was the first time EVER that I have prayed with my 8 year old. A tragedy happened to a classmate of his (his father had a massive heart attack and died) and no one has addressed this in his school, although all the kids know it happened. I told him I felt we needed to do more than send over a meal and he asked me what and I said, "Why don't we pray?" He was eager to engage with me. I was rubbing his hand when I said this and he took his hand away from mine and said, "but we have to put our hands like this" (in the form of prayer). I said that was fine, and started the prayer with "dear universal consciousness" That might seem trite to some, but for me it was HUGE. When I was done he hugged me so tight and I felt tears streaming down my face. He asked what happened when we die, and I hestitated before saying I really didn't know, but wouldn't it be grand if it WERE something grand. There really is no more to this story, but it wouldn't have ocurred if were not for some of you here sharing your faith without judgement.
Much love - MTBound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,259,399 times
Wow, that IS huge.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,269,092 times
Thank you so much for sharing... it makes a "warmth" rush into me! And it is real!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,380,677 times
Thank you for sharing this. I may go through this exact same thing with my own (one day) child(ren) so it is very beneficial for me to hear things like this.

I wonder how steadfast atheists deal with their children on this level.
What would they do if their child asked to pray with them?
Perhaps someone will tell us.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,740,346 times
Im very glad you had that opportunity with your son, its truly a very close connection when we can pray with our children!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM

356 posts, read 1,128,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I may go through this exact same thing with my own (one day) child(ren) so it is very beneficial for me to hear things like this.

I wonder how steadfast atheists deal with their children on this level.
What would they do if their child asked to pray with them?
Perhaps someone will tell us.
Well, I have been a "steadfast" atheist for some time now ....... obviously that is changing, in what direction I am still not sure, nor am I trying to push anything on myself or define myself at the moment. That feels good. Sharing this moment with my child was powerful, and I was surprised at how eager he was to share it with me. I didn't push atheism on him either but I think he is sensing the craving that I am having and wants to walk the path with me. Believing in Jesus gave me comfort as a child and I want my child to have a sacred place to turn in his life, whether it be Jesus or Buddha or Science or some combination. It feels good and has no real words to attach to it.....

Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,366,617 times
That rush of warmth is pretty astonishing the first time it happens.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,380,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Well, I have been a "steadfast" atheist for some time now ....... obviously that is changing, in what direction I am still not sure, nor am I trying to push anything on myself or define myself at the moment. That feels good. Sharing this moment with my child was powerful, and I was surprised at how eager he was to share it with me. I didn't push atheism on him either but I think he is sensing the craving that I am having and wants to walk the path with me. Believing in Jesus gave me comfort as a child and I want my child to have a sacred place to turn in his life, whether it be Jesus or Buddha or Science or some combination. It feels good and has no real words to attach to it.....
Interesting.
I also was a Christian kid and I can't say that I mind that - even though I cannot see myself promoting any prophet to my child (but what do I know? I have no child.)
Definitely keep "not defining" yourself - for me, that is why I left Christianity in the first place - and it felt so good! I don't even really consider myself an atheist today for the same reason - it's just so nice to be free from all dogma and to be truly critical of all things and truly open to all things.
It sounds like you may be headed towards some kind of Universalism - I also relate to that. Despite my anti-religious feelings (which are quite strong) I suppose I still crave discussions about otherworldly ideas (why else would I keep reading this forum?).
Good luck with the child rearing. It sounds like you are having a worthwhile adventure.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,278,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
I decided to post here rather than the main forum because of the "promise" of no debate in the sub forum. I have thanked some of you in the past for just being who you are and stating your beliefs, listening to mine, with no judgement.... Now I just want to share.
I have had several meaningful discussions with people in my face to face world recently about my doubts of my own doubts (clear as mud) and have begun to feel a warmth rush into me that I haven't felt in years. Last night was the first time EVER that I have prayed with my 8 year old. A tragedy happened to a classmate of his (his father had a massive heart attack and died) and no one has addressed this in his school, although all the kids know it happened. I told him I felt we needed to do more than send over a meal and he asked me what and I said, "Why don't we pray?" He was eager to engage with me. I was rubbing his hand when I said this and he took his hand away from mine and said, "but we have to put our hands like this" (in the form of prayer). I said that was fine, and started the prayer with "dear universal consciousness" That might seem trite to some, but for me it was HUGE. When I was done he hugged me so tight and I felt tears streaming down my face. He asked what happened when we die, and I hestitated before saying I really didn't know, but wouldn't it be grand if it WERE something grand. There really is no more to this story, but it wouldn't have ocurred if were not for some of you here sharing your faith without judgement.
Much love - MTBound.
God Bless You
Mere words cannot express these feelings; May the Lord keep you and your son in perfect peace'.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,690,792 times
It is so wonderful to hear such encouragement! Lifting one another and sharing the fruit of love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity