U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,491,222 times

Advertisements

I decided to post this as new thread, since we all have or are still struggling with this at one time or another. Here are some things I'd like to share.
Hope this helps both myself and all who may benefit and apply these principles in their lives. Or use as a guideline to overcoming Anger as a Christian and hopefully put things in the proper perspective so that we can grow and be the salt and light that we are called to be.

Anger
Everybody gets angry. (Well, I do, anyhow, and I suppose other people do, too.)

We know that we all have sin natures that have areas of strength and weakness. You may be strong where I am weak, and vice-versa. So it may be that you would never think of committing a particular sin that I might be having a great deal of trouble with.

But, in one way or another everyone has problems with anger. Sometimes the anger is a quiet, seething resentment or indignation at some large or small offense, real or imagined. Sometimes anger explodes into a rage that can turn into retaliation, violence, or murder.

When we are angry we hurt people, usually those who are closest to us. And we really hurt ourselves; an angry person is his own worst enemy, as we shall see in this topical study.

But Christians can have victory over the sin of anger! This study is written to lay out what the Bible says about anger and to answer questions like the following:

* What's the difference between sinful anger and righteous indignation?

* Does God get angry?

* What causes me to get angry, and what can I do about it?

* How can I have victory over the sin of anger?

Definition

The Bible describes anger as a sin - a sin of mental attitude. As a sin, anger expresses antagonism, exasperation, indignation, resentment, outrage. Anger usually produces an emotional feeling, but the feeling is not the anger. The thought pattern which produced the feeling is the sinful anger.

In the Bible, the type of anger which is not sinful is more properly called "righteous indignation". Righteous indignation does not produce emotion. Thus, whenever emotion is involved, sinful anger is the cause.

The Bible uses two Greek words for anger: orge, referring to mental anger, and thumos, for mental anger. It's possible, but not common, to have mental anger without an emotional response. In Eph. 4:31, both types of anger are related to bitterness.

Anger is a sin which promotes sins against other people, such as gossip, self-righteous judging, maligning, complaining.

Both anger and righteous indignation are mental reactions to events or circumstances. If the mental reaction is unjustifiable, it becomes a reaction such as irritation, exasperation, or irrationality.

But if a reaction is justifiable, it is never irrational. An example would be righteous indignation regarding heresy.

Righteous Indignation

Righteous indignation is not anger and not emotion. It is a clear understanding of a bad situation because you have divine viewpoint. Therefore, there is no reaction which leads to anger and sin.

In Mark 10:14, Jesus became opposed to the disciples when they forbade the children to be brought unto Him. This was not anger, it was an understanding of a wrong. Jesus expressed righteous indignation in Matt. 23:13-36 when he condemned the scribes and Pharisees. And He wasn't angry when He told Peter "Get behind me, Satan, you are a stumbling block to me. You have not concentrated on the things of God, but on the tings of man."

Another example of righteous indignation is a Christian's mental attitude toward criminal activity. You can pursue, prosecute, and sentence a criminal without compromising such principles as grace, forgiveness, or impersonal love. You are aware that the criminal's act is wrong and that he must be stopped. That is righteous indignation. But you don't hate the criminal or fall apart emotionally because of sinful anger. Impersonal love is a result of Christian growth and allows believers to have a regard for even the most obnoxious people that does not depend on their character or behavior.

It is righteous indignation that allows God to be "angry" about sin but to love us anyway. His love for us depends on His character, not on ours.

Characteristics of Sinful Anger

1. Anger is sin from the sin nature. Gal. 5:19-21, "Now the deeds of the flesh [sin nature] are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these..."

2. Anger is related to foolishness. Eccl. 7:9, "Do not be quick to be angry in your heart, for anger resides in the bosom of fools."

The Bible defines a fool as a person without wisdom. He may be a genius, but his thinking is from human viewpoint. He thinks and acts apart from God's standards and controls. The paramount fool (and the beginning of foolishness) is the person who has "said in his heart, There is no God."

Look at Romans 1:18-31 for a detailed description of the results of deliberately turning away from God. A fool is on a rapid downward slide towards destruction, both in this life and the one to come. In the list of terrible sins which characterize the ungodly are several which are either causes or results of anger.

3. Anger is associated with grieving the Holy Spirit. Eph. 4:30-31, "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." Notice the contrast here between conditions of anger and the results of impersonal love.

4. Anger is a violation of the Christian's code of conduct as a member of the Body of Christ. Col. 3:8,9, "But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, {and} abusive speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its {evil} practices"

5. Anger hinders effective prayer. 1 Tim. 2:8, "Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension."

6. Anger is always accompanied by other sins. Prov. 29:22, "An angry person stirs up strife, and a hot tempered person abounds in transgression."

Anger promotes the sins of gossip, self-righteous judging, maligning, revenge, complaining, bitterness, and many others. Heb. 12:15, "See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled."

7. Anger makes a person his own worst enemy; he brings misery upon himself. Prov. 22:8, "He who sows iniquity will reap vanity, And the rod of his fury will perish." The uphappiness comes from many sources: failure to be occupied with Christ, failure to maintain a relaxed mental attitude, failure to be controlled by the Holy Spirit, thus, failure to grow in Christ. Lack of growth means lack of joy, lack of love, lack of divine viewpoint.

8. Anger promotes jealousy and cruelty. Prov. 27:4.

9. Anger causes misery for loved ones, friends, and community. Anger destroys a nation. Prov. 21:19; 22:24; 24:25; 29:22. Amos 1:11, "Thus says the Lord, "For three transgressions of Edom and for four I will not revoke its {punishment}, Because he pursued his brother with the sword, While he stifled his compassion; His anger also tore continually, And he maintained his fury forever."

Other Bible Teaching on Anger

Eph. 4:26 says "Be ye angry, and sin not." or "Although you may have become angry, stop sinning."

This verse is quoted from Psalm 4, which is about David's righteous indignation at the revolt of his son Absalom. He is resisting the temptation to become angry. "Tremble with anger, yet do not sin." He was tempted to become angry at Absalom because Abaslom had used his position to start a revolution against his father. but he didn't become angry, he trusted the Lord (Occupation with Christ), and he asked the army to spare Absalom. 2 Sam. 18:5.

It is possible to respond to unfairness or offense without sin. A person may sin against you, yet you can remain without sin. You can put the matter in the Lord's hands, stay in fellowship, and maintain a relaxed mental attitude. Furthermore, because you stay in fellowship, you are in the best position to be of service in the situation. You can forgive the other person and be open to any reconciliation he might offer. You will at least do your part to keep lines of communication open.

The Bible continually emphasizes righteousness maintained in the face of unfair treatment.

You cannot build your happiness on someone else's misery. This is what retaliation tries to do. But you'll never obtain happiness through revenge or by straightening out the other person. To punish someone else using verbal sins or violence is a revenge operation; worse yet, it obstructs divine judgment and discipline. "Judge not, that you be not judged" is intended to warn us to let The Lord handle matters of sins against Himself. The angry person who arrogates to himself the position of judge is in a position of compounded divine discipline himself, worse off than the one who originally caused the trouble.

The Anger of the Lord

The Lord is said to have anger, or to be angry, in several places in the Bible. The word "anger" is used as an anthropo-pathism, a word or phrase that ascribes human characteristics or feelings to God, who is not human. God never reacts emotionally. He is never surprised, shocked, or outraged. But He does have an attitude of wrath or anger against some things.

The phrase "the anger of the Lord" is used in the following passages:

Num. 25:4; 32:14; Deut. 29:20; Judges 3:8; 10:7; 2:14, 20; 2 Kings 24:20; Lam. 4:16; Jer. 4:8,25,37; 30:24; 51:45; 52:3; Zeph. 2:2,3; Psalm 2:5.

The phrase "the wrath of God" is used in the following:

2 Chron. 28:11; Ezra 10:14; Psalm 78:31; John 3:36; Rom. 1:18; Eph. 5:6; Col. 3:6; Rev. 14:10,19; 15:1,7; 16:1; 19:15.

Victory Over the Sin of Anger

1. Recognize the sin of anger and confess to the Lord when you become angry. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9. This way you will maintain your walk with the Lord and be controlled (filled) by the Holy Spirit.

2. Continue to "grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." Forgiveness is an important part of grace being used by a believer. The more you are oriented to God's plan of Grace, the more adept you will be at using the assets He provides.

3. Practice trusting God (or, using Faith). God says, "Cast your care on Me, because I care for you." When you are in bad situations, tell the Lord about it and let Him handle it.

Credited to:
Grace Notes

There is no charge for Grace Notes Materials.
The ministry is supported by Christians who pray for the work and share in the expenses.

Grace Notes, % Warren Doud, 1705 Aggie Lane, Austin, Texas 78757
God Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:19 PM

Side Bar:
I will go so far as to say, there have been several persons if not millions that have been injured by all of the accusations surrounding the "Televangelist Investigations" . we have all been affected in one way or another; Many are very angry and others have been disappointed and discouraged
at those that are being accused, the accusers, and the Body of Christ, at Christians.
We have to go to the word of God; because He is our refuge" a very present help in the time of trouble. Let's not add further insult to injury by hurting one another with words.
Instead let's pray for one another and all (are victims). I myself have been disappointed in hearing this; But since I don't know the whole story. So with that being said, I can't say that I was not hurt' to find out that someone paid a supposedly $20k for a Commode seat? Yes I need God right now. I need to be ministered to. I'm disappointed at the whole "Shennanigans" LOL; thank God for my Pastor who nourtures us and guides us through times like this until we are mature enough to face these trials alone.
This may or may not be bad example: But here goes, A Scenario:
Supposed a worship leader/ Youth Pastor was found to have been a pedophile, and visiting many websites and E-mailing children and molesting some of those that he were supposed to be entrusted with? and the rest of the church was honest, great at everything; wonderful ministry,and services,ministered to the poor and needy; homeless etc. Loving; kind of like the (church of Philadelphia that Paul spoke about.) and someone exposed this one person(leader). Should everyone in the church/ministry go down?( especially since no one knew about this.) Exactly whom would you be angry with. and if you were not then ; what would be your actions towards this great ministry? What should you as a babe in Christ do; What should you as a mature Christian do? What should the ones that are Carnal Christians and straddling the fence do? What do you think the backslider would do? or think. And those that were thinking about giving their heart to the Lord? How would you as a minister/ layperson explain this to those you were witnessing to?
This is a serious question, Ponder this please and give me your honest answer.

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 11-15-2007 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,179,604 times
I think that in the situation you described above, it would arouse anger in the congregation. The proper way to deal with the situation (imo) would be for the Senior Pastor to take control of the situation, the youth/music pastor should be fired and turned in to the police. Then restoration can take place within the church. However, all this should not be executed in anger, as it will accomplish nothing.

Regarding the OP...I'm not entirely sure I agree with the descriptions it gives of anger (which is most definitely a feeling/emotion), and the way it interprets scripture. (Or I may just not completely understand it.) I think you can be angry without sinning. Jesus accomplished this task, and so can we. However, when we give in to our anger, we run the risk of succombing to the many temptations it presents us.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I think that in the situation you described above, it would arouse anger in the congregation. The proper way to deal with the situation (imo) would be for the Senior Pastor to take control of the situation, the youth/music pastor should be fired and turned in to the police. Then restoration can take place within the church. However, all this should not be executed in anger, as it will accomplish nothing.

Regarding the OP...I'm not entirely sure I agree with the descriptions it gives of anger (which is most definitely a feeling/emotion), and the way it interprets scripture. (Or I may just not completely understand it.) I think you can be angry without sinning. Jesus accomplished this task, and so can we. However, when we give in to our anger, we run the risk of succombing to the many temptations it presents us.

we are in agreement here;
Wesley
4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not - That is, if ye are angry, take heed ye sin not. Anger at sin is not evil; but we should feel only pity to the sinner. If we are angry at the person, as well as the fault, we sin. And how hardly do we avoid it. Let not the sun go down upon your wrath -not losing one day in reconciling immediately with our brother.
Anger
The emotion of instant displeasure on account of something evil that presents itself to our view. In itself it is an original susceptibility of our nature, just as love is, and is not necessarily sinful. It may, however, become sinful when causeless, or excessive, or protracted (Mat 5:22; Eph 4:26; Col 3:8). As ascribed to God, it merely denotes his displeasure with sin and with sinners (Ps 7:11).

—Easton's Illustrated Dictionary

Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/tea...ing_Anger.aspx
I enjoy sharing with everyone, CBN has an excellent teaching on anger and I thought since most of us know what the scriptures says about anger; sometimes have difficulty in applying it at times as we struggle with different circumstances in our lives. Here's more help from a Christian POV
I don't want to appear to be redundant, but this is a great link also
I hope that this link will bless someone

Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM

2,232 posts, read 4,273,499 times
Quote:
Supposed a worship leader/ Youth Pastor was found to have been a pedophile, and visiting many websites and E-mailing children and molesting some of those that he were supposed to be entrusted with?
This is breaking the law. Since civil authority is also of God. So the church or body of believers should turn this individual over to the police. In addition the Senior pastor should make all the other ministries transparent to the authorities and encourage a full cooperation with an investigation by a 3rd party of prominent community lay people and clergy.

Quote:
and the rest of the church was honest, great at everything; wonderful ministry,and services,ministered to the poor and needy; homeless etc. Loving; kind of like the (church of Philadelphia that Paul spoke about.) and someone exposed this one person(leader). Should everyone in the church/ministry go down?( especially since no one knew about this.)
First order of business is to protect the remainder of God's good work. Jesus said: Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into hell.
The Senior pastor should insist on accountability from other ministries if any others choose to "look away". All church leadership (senior staff as well) should turn in their resignations and be re-interviewed for their positions using "non conflict of interest" clergy and lay people. This is an effective tool to evaluate "post" event attitudes and aptitudes.

Quote:
Exactly whom would you be angry with. and if you were not then ; what would be your actions towards this great ministry? What should you as a babe in Christ do; What should you as a mature Christian do? What should the ones that are Carnal Christians and straddling the fence do? What do you think the backslider would do? or think. And those that were thinking about giving their heart to the Lord? How would you as a minister/ layperson explain this to those you were witnessing to?
As with all things.... success and failure is leadership's responsibility. Full accountability is the rule of the day, "forensic" accountability. Anger is a good motivator in getting to the truth, however the important ingredient is healing. When the "eye" has been plucked there is great pain, but the body lives. Infection is the next threat to the survival of the body and needs to prevented... so healing can take place.

Not all healing is objective... there is healing of the mind that is of utmost importance. There is trauma, and post situations that are real and equally damaging. Some "larger" churches carry insurance for just these type of situations, it should be fully utilized.

Many will leave, and some will turn away from organized religion. The church should remain in contact with those who wish to leave, and facilitate moving to other churches. In addition the faulted body should let the new churches know what happened, and offer assistance for the transition. The intent should be to help, not interfere.

Anger will manifest itself mostly with those who are Victim's and have a victim "mentality"... it has the same look... but does not necessarily have the same results. There are those who are predisposed to be angry, and those who are good healers. All should be treated with respect and love.

Job 5:2 For wrath kills the foolish person, and anger slays the silly one.
Job 36:13 The godless at heart nourish anger, they do not cry out even when he binds them.
Pro 19:11 A person’s wisdom makes him slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.
Jam 1:20 For human anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.

Moving through anger IMO is the best solution for most of us, feel it, remove it, bury it. Most will, some can't, and a few won't.

Quote:

Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your honest post;
God Bless You

Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,022,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
The Bible describes anger as a sin - a sin of mental attitude. As a sin, anger expresses antagonism, exasperation, indignation, resentment, outrage. Anger usually produces an emotional feeling, but the feeling is not the anger. The thought pattern which produced the feeling is the sinful anger.
So if someone rapes and murders your family, burns down your house and steals your car and you have a thought pattern which involves anger then you are sinning?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,868,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post

I agree. Matthew21:12 And Jesus entered into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of he money-changers, and the seats of them that sold the doves; Jesus over turned tables and chairs and threw the money changers out of the temple! Obviously there was some emotion there. I also agree that anger presents a lot of problems.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,868,090 times
[quote=yhwhshalomjr;2007704]Side Bar:
I will go so far as to say, there have been several persons if not millions that have been injured by all of the accusations surrounding the "Televangelist Investigations" . we have all been affected in one way or another; Many are very angry and others have been disappointed and discouraged
at those that are being accused, the accusers, and the Body of Christ, at Christians.
Quote:

I really don`t think these allegations are anything new. The amount of money that televangelist make from offerings and their extravagant lifestyles have long been a topic of controversy among God`s people and a topic for ridicule of the church for years.

We have to go to the word of God; because He is our refuge" a very present help in the time of trouble. Let's not add further insult to injury by hurting one another with words.
Instead let's pray for one another and all (are victims). I myself have been disappointed in hearing this; But since I don't know the whole story. So with that being said, I can't say that I was not hurt' to find out that someone paid a supposedly $20k for a Commode seat? Yes I need God right now. I need to be ministered to. I'm disappointed at the whole "Shennanigans" LOL; thank God for my Pastor who nourtures us and guides us through times like this until we are mature enough to face these trials alone.
This may or may not be bad example: But here goes, A Scenario:
Supposed a worship leader/ Youth Pastor was found to have been a pedophile, and visiting many websites and E-mailing children and molesting some of those that he were supposed to be entrusted with? and the rest of the church was honest, great at everything; wonderful ministry,and services,ministered to the poor and needy; homeless etc. Loving; kind of like the (church of Philadelphia that Paul spoke about.) and someone exposed this one person(leader). Should everyone in the church/ministry go down?( especially since no one knew about this.) Exactly whom would you be angry with. and if you were not then ; what would be your actions towards this great ministry? What should you as a babe in Christ do; What should you as a mature Christian do? What should the ones that are Carnal Christians and straddling the fence do? What do you think the backslider would do? or think. And those that were thinking about giving their heart to the Lord? How would you as a minister/ layperson explain this to those you were witnessing to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or