Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
I apologize for maybe speaking with a too broad of a stroke and I made some assumptions that I shouldn't that may have touched a nerve and sparked your hostile response. It was not my intention to minimize your own "day to day" experience as you responded with some assumptions and minimization of your own. I will not elaborate any further on my own life experiences as it is not productive to the discussion of the topic at hand, but lets just agree that we don't "have each other figured out."
That fine. Your apology need not be offered but I accept it anyways. I'm sure you and all people on earth have their crosses large and small.

I was more angry from the stand point this complaint typically implies that Catholic priests can't know struggle or hear others problems because they're not married. As well as the implication that marriage and/or becoming a parent bestows some wisdom on a person. I could just as easily say becoming a priest or female wh*re or gay-for-pay bestows wisdom on a person.

The state of marriages in the United States (since I'm in the U.S. that's what I'll speak off) is no more inspiring than the state of the Catholic priesthood. From what I see of most married Americans I have lost just about all respect for the institution of marriage. Just about all of them are adulterers (that I know of). Many are miserable. Even the women that married for money.

So what if Miley Cyrus dates, has sex, and gets married. She's going to know so much more about "struggle" than the virgin Jesus that lived with His mother or countless priests or nuns because her hubby uses too much teeth when he goes down on her (I'm no virgin), or doesn't like to bathe before he lays down for the night in their marital bed?

No need to answer those questions, as I'm not try to restart a debate, I'm just adding a little clarification if possible, to my earlier points.

Also, I don't think enough lay people empathize enough with what it must be like to give up a chance of life with a woman, as her husband, to give up hope for grandchildren, to foresee an elderly life full of loneliness except in active involvement with people not related to you, and to listen to countless confessions over the years of people burdened with small and large sins. You think priests never hear confessions of child molestation, incest, adultery, robbery, murder, attempted suicide, rape, bullying etc.? And you can never tell anyone. No wife to confide in. No one. Then you're a priest that develops alcoholism on top of that. You have your struggles but have to listen to every other person's problems. People don't often come bringing good news to priests, they usually come to them to unload their problems or complaints. So, you have to hear a lot of bad news, lots of sorrow, over and over again.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Bishop Fulton Sheen was the Bishop I read about that had a small disfigured boy approach him one day in private. The boy cried and pleaded "why?" why he had to endure this suffering, why all the other kids make fun of him and no one wants to be his friend. The Bishop did not lie to him. He responded, as I recall, "My boy, in this life you will never have many friends, but today you have made one."

And from that day on the Bishop visited the boy once every week, as his friend, at the boy's house.

There are many burdens to have in this life.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen - Loneliness - YouTube

Pag Pag Makanan Dari Sisa Restoran Makanan Segera Di Filipina - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
That fine. Your apology need not be offered but I accept it anyways. I'm sure you and all people on earth have their crosses large and small.

I was more angry from the stand point this complaint typically implies that Catholic priests can't know struggle or hear others problems because they're not married. As well as the implication that marriage and/or becoming a parent bestows some wisdom on a person. I could just as easily say becoming a priest or female wh*re or gay-for-pay bestows wisdom on a person.

The state of marriages in the United States (since I'm in the U.S. that's what I'll speak off) is no more inspiring than the state of the Catholic priesthood. From what I see of most married Americans I have lost just about all respect for the institution of marriage. Just about all of them are adulterers (that I know of). Many are miserable. Even the women that married for money.

So what if Miley Cyrus dates, has sex, and gets married. She's going to know so much more about "struggle" than the virgin Jesus that lived with His mother or countless priests or nuns because her hubby uses too much teeth when he goes down on her (I'm no virgin), or doesn't like to bathe before he lays down for the night in their marital bed?

No need to answer those questions, as I'm not try to restart a debate, I'm just adding a little clarification if possible, to my earlier points.

Also, I don't think enough lay people empathize enough with what it must be like to give up a chance of life with a woman, as her husband, to give up hope for grandchildren, to foresee an elderly life full of loneliness except in active involvement with people not related to you, and to listen to countless confessions over the years of people burdened with small and large sins. You think priests never hear confessions of child molestation, incest, adultery, robbery, murder, attempted suicide, rape, bullying etc.? And you can never tell anyone. No wife to confide in. No one. Then you're a priest that develops alcoholism on top of that. You have your struggles but have to listen to every other person's problems. People don't often come bringing good news to priests, they usually come to them to unload their problems or complaints. So, you have to hear a lot of bad news, lots of sorrow, over and over again.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Bishop Fulton Sheen was the Bishop I read about that had a small disfigured boy approach him one day in private. The boy cried and pleaded "why?" why he had to endure this suffering, why all the other kids make fun of him and no one wants to be his friend. The Bishop did not lie to him. He responded, as I recall, "My boy, in this life you will never have many friends, but today you have made one."

And from that day on the Bishop visited the boy once every week, as his friend, at the boy's house.

There are many burdens to have in this life.
Great post!

Male physicians do fine as gynecologists even though they don't have a vagina.

Not all drug counselors have to be addicts.

My dad loved Fulton Sheen.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Great post!
Eh... you do me more kindness than I deserve. Let us say, "great post!" to Archbishop Fulton Sheen's video clip about "...a captain that stumbled to a throne!"

He was a great orator I must say. And he spoke those words with passion, almost have as if he felt it from the heart, and not simply as a performance. Let us hope he spoke them from the heart.

Peace.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Eh... you do me more kindness than I deserve. Let us say, "great post!" to Archbishop Fulton Sheen's video clip about "...a captain that stumbled to a throne!"

He was a great orator I must say. And he spoke those words with passion, almost have as if he felt it from the heart, and not simply as a performance. Let us hope he spoke them from the heart.

Peace.
I believe he had a TV show in the 50s and newspaper columns. My dad was a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity