Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've grown a lot in the past few years, realizing that besides me, there are a bunch of other people in the pews. I used to be one of those complainers. But now as a pastor, I realize that what one person really hates, there might be 4 people that love it, and vice versa. You don't like the music? There may be some folks that loooooooooooooove it and they get all happy and giddy when the holidays come around.

Don't like crying babies? At least mom and dad are in church. I've got people in my congregation that won't come because they don't want to offend anyone when their little one cries. I find that sad. The kids need to learn to sit in church, and it's not good for mom and dad to just not come until their kids are all 5 years and older. We aren't big enough to have a daycare program and childcare.
Some people are so much into it that they don't realize they are way off key.

As for kids: In some Catholic Churches they have a room in the back with a glass. Parents can seat there in mass and the noise from the kids is muffled by the enclosed room. If you have a small church you could easily build a 8'x20' corridor in the back with glass in front. Hopefully there is a vent in there and you are in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Some people are so much into it that they don't realize they are way off key.

As for kids: In some Catholic Churches they have a room in the back with a glass. Parents can seat there in mass and the noise from the kids is muffled by the enclosed room. If you have a small church you could easily build a 8'x20' corridor in the back with glass in front. Hopefully there is a vent in there and you are in business.
We actually do have a room off to the side that has a glass window overlooking the pulpit. It has a speaker in it....but I'm not sure I'm ready to order a person or two into it and separate them from the rest. It's pretty segregated. But I get what you're saying--the one I grew up in had a "cry room", too.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
We actually do have a room off to the side that has a glass window overlooking the pulpit. It has a speaker in it....but I'm not sure I'm ready to order a person or two into it and separate them from the rest. It's pretty segregated. But I get what you're saying--the one I grew up in had a "cry room", too.
I agree, the parishioners must go to the room on their own and some never go.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I agree, the parishioners must go to the room on their own and some never go.
I actually attended a mega-church where the pastor did stop in the middle of a sermon one week and ask to have the baby quieted down. I can only imagine how the parents must have felt so awful.

Last week I had a couple with their baby in church making noise. I made it a point to thank them for coming. I can talk over them. In time the baby will grow and learn.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I actually attended a mega-church where the pastor did stop in the middle of a sermon one week and ask to have the baby quieted down. I can only imagine how the parents must have felt so awful.

Last week I had a couple with their baby in church making noise. I made it a point to thank them for coming. I can talk over them. In time the baby will grow and learn.
Do you ever hear cell phones going off?

Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM

222 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
I've grown a lot in the past few years, realizing that besides me, there are a bunch of other people in the pews. I used to be one of those complainers. But now as a pastor, I realize that what one person really hates, there might be 4 people that love it, and vice versa. You don't like the music? There may be some folks that loooooooooooooove it and they get all happy and giddy when the holidays come around.

Don't like crying babies? At least mom and dad are in church. I've got people in my congregation that won't come because they don't want to offend anyone when their little one cries. I find that sad. The kids need to learn to sit in church, and it's not good for mom and dad to just not come until their kids are all 5 years and older. We aren't big enough to have a daycare program and childcare.
Quote:
By OP gonpostal. I know, we all love the church we attend. But once in a while something is bound to happen that makes the skin crawl. Ever gone home thinking, "I ain't going back." Maybe it was something said from the pulpit. Maybe someone looked at you crossways. Maybe someone wears the most obnoxious smelling after shave. Maybe something as petty as babies crying while their mothers are seemingly unaware. I know no one wants to say something bad about their church. So, I'll get the ball rolling.

I dread the holidays. It means more music. Don't get me wrong, I love church hymns, especially the Christmas ones. Silent night. Joy To The World. Away In A Manger. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. They are beautiful. The problem is my singing isn't.

I couldn't hold a tune in a suitcase. I know it. My family knows it. Anyone who's been in our church through one hymn knows it. So, why do people still turn around and glare? Would they rather I keep my mouth shut? Lip-sync? Wear duct tape? Have my vocal cords severed? Change religions?

My advice to those with unending glares;you're remembered in my prayers.
Maybe I'm taking this wrong but since you quoted me I wanted to make it clear I never said I personally did not like any of those things. I was using crying babies, etc., as an example, not my personal peeve. In fact I said I love the Christmas Hymns. I said I just can't sing them. My pet peeve is people glaring at me when I sing.......none of the other things. Just clarifying,

Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
I used to attend a full gospel church and the praise and worship segment was pretty significant.

It was usually good until someone would tap my shoulder, said, "Excuse me," then passed by to sit in the same row.

Then I'd resume worship, and the same thing happened (another tap, "Excuse me").

... and again. Very annoying.

Finally, no one was allowed to enter the sanctuary until after the song was done. Later, people weren't allowed to enter at all during praise/worship.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
I always disliked the preacher he needed the crowd to clap during the preaching. If people did not clap, the preacher would say something silly like " you ain't hearing me, or can I get a witness". I always looked at that as the preacher needing the ego fed, via self affirmation.
You have a microphone , of course I can hear you! I just don't need to clap or tell amen every time you hit the pinnacle if the preaching.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
Maybe I'm taking this wrong but since you quoted me I wanted to make it clear I never said I personally did not like any of those things. I was using crying babies, etc., as an example, not my personal peeve. In fact I said I love the Christmas Hymns. I said I just can't sing them. My pet peeve is people glaring at me when I sing.......none of the other things. Just clarifying,
I'm sorry--I didn't mean to imply you're a horrible complainer. I know we ALL have some things we like or dislike about a church service. I used myself as an example of someone that has done it in the past.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Do you ever hear cell phones going off?
Occasionally, but it's not really an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity