Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday that boys and girls at ever younger ages are in danger of being deceived by adults hawking false models of happiness and leading them down "the dead-end streets of consumerism."

Benedict appealed to young people to be on guard about consumerism just as the Christmas holiday shopping season gears up.

FOXNews.com - Pope Warns Children About 'Dead-End Streets of Consumerism' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday that boys and girls at ever younger ages are in danger of being deceived by adults hawking false models of happiness and leading them down "the dead-end streets of consumerism."

Benedict appealed to young people to be on guard about consumerism just as the Christmas holiday shopping season gears up.

FOXNews.com - Pope Warns Children About 'Dead-End Streets of Consumerism' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Hum? Who cares what that man has to say. All Christians should know that from their Bible.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:17 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Then why are some evangelicals preaching a prosperity Bible if they are so knowing?.

Who cares what he thinks? Millions of Catholics.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Who cares what he thinks? Millions of Catholics.
And that's a shame.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
And that's a shame.
If you disagree with what the man said, then state how so.

If you're just attacking the man ... well, then you're just being rude. Shame on you, sir.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
It looks like I actually agree with him for once. Well, first time for everything.

However, I'm disappointed in the explanation (or at least what this article offers of it). I guess we all have a good enough idea of how detrimental consumerism can be, but I expected him to give us an explanation, anyway. If he feels that strongly about it, you'd think he'd tell us why it's so dangerous for children to succumb to it.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
I used this article to talk to my kids more about what Christmas is really about. We are not Catholic. I told them the Pope was like the President for Catholics. Would that be correct? It was a good tool in my conversation with the kids. "This is what the Pope says, just like I've been telling you guys." Sometimes I think kids will listen a little better when someone besides Mom and Dad are saying something.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I used this article to talk to my kids more about what Christmas is really about. We are not Catholic. I told them the Pope was like the President for Catholics. Would that be correct? It was a good tool in my conversation with the kids. "This is what the Pope says, just like I've been telling you guys." Sometimes I think kids will listen a little better when someone besides Mom and Dad are saying something.
Maybe so, but it might help more if it was Hannah Montana or Ashley Tisdale saying it.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by treeg26
Quote:
I told them the Pope was like the President for Catholics. Would that be correct?
Nope, the pope is more a king than a president.
A common Catholic could never become a pope.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:16 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
As a former Catholic I'd say that the Pope ranks right up there next to the Trinity. He comes across as their right-hand man. You must go through the Pope to get to Mary who then goes to Jesus who then has access to God.

And it's amusing to read what he had to say after reading the other thread from John1960 who talked about the Pope offering a reprieve in purgatory for all those who travel to Lourdes within the next year. Isn't he just trying to generate dollars in the coffer? Anyway, these two just kinda go together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity