Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,274,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
What is the point of your post?

That Swedish students have less debt?

That Europeans have less money than the US for education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM

796 posts, read 853,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
No I am not deflecting the issue but rather bringing balance to what Godly prosperity means. That is something that has been lost in all this discussion and what you and others failed to correct by not preaching the positive aspect. In all this negative talk, the truth should be said. Prosperity has become a dirty word in association with the message of Christ as a result of those who preach it wrongly but prosperity is not a dirty word and not all those who preach it are off base. It is how you preach it that makes the difference.

So no. I do not agree with all that some say but I do say to "Seek the Kingdom of God first and His righteousness and all these things [what you need] will be added to you." and yes "He healed all who came to Him." So I say come to abide in Christ because "The word of God is health to all your bones". If you want to preach less than that because of the poor examples that seem to testify contrary to that then you have nullified the powerful message of genuine faith and fallen into the error that they have.

Yes, there are times that a genuine saint might be sick or poor but it should not end there but through prayer and the good discipline of seeking God's face, healing of body and renewed prosperity will come. We are in battle and the victory belongs to those who take the Kingdom of God by the force of prayer. The complacent and the unbelieving receive nothing.

I want to set the record straight and present the truth of what Jesus said on the matter. He wants us to prosper and be in good health. I will post what I like so please don't tell me, "Don't do that."
So do you accept Benny Hinns teachings?

Sorry sound and Godly advise is so offensive to you. I see where you are coming from now!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,525,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
So do you accept Benny Hinns teachings?

Sorry sound and Godly advise is so offensive to you. I see where you are coming from now!
Just what Godly advise are you referring to that is so offensive to me. Your telling me to not deflect the issue or something else? Your two statements above appear to contradict or do they.

I have no use for Benny Hinn nor a host of others.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 PM

796 posts, read 853,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Just what Godly advise are you referring to that is so offensive to me. Your telling me to not deflect the issue or something else? Your two statements above appear to contradict or do they.

I have no use for Benny Hinn nor a host of others.
Well there may be hope for you after all. That's great news!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
It is interesting that the cost of education is being discussed so much in relation to "property". I am convinced the reason higher education is so expensive in the US is because there is so much free money to pay for it. I am currently enrolled in a class (I can only afford to pay for one at a time and work) in a small community college. I am the only student who is not receiving Pell grants and going for free! Someone mentioned that you can't pay for college flipping burgers but that is not true. Those who flip burgers get lot's of free money for college because of their income. Those that have an issue paying are those who work or their parents work and make it to the middle income level. Free money goes away for them. I don't believe God want's us to go into debt so I will not take out student loans. It may take me longer but I won't be in debt when I finish. I did start college late in life so I work full time and provide for my family and pay my own way through school.
I commend you on your sacrifice and discipline by only paying in full for your college credits in advance, rather than procuring a loan.

And I think you may be right that loaned money (not "free," except for the grants etc.) is driving up the cost of college tuition. At least it's probably part of what's driving up the tuition.

But debt is not necessarily bad. It depends on variables. Have you taken an economics course yet? Debt can be a good thing at times. Our banking system partly operates off of the system of debt with interest. Banks giving out loans to small and large business owners can stimulate economies especially as that money moves through the circular flow of the economy.

Theoretically, acquiring debt for something like a college education has been viewed as an investment in one's self. The assumption has been such an investment will pay off in the end.

For example, in the early 1980's if you went into debt going on to chiropractic school after your undergraduate, then you reasonably expected to come out of chiropractors school earning about $100,000 a year. You expected to live well while paying off your college loan with the interest accrued on it.

And while many are able to go to community college and work full time, or many (but less) are able to attend more challenging universities while working full time, very few are able to do that going on to challenging professional colleges like dental school and medical school. Unlike undergrad programs, in dental or medical school students are in classes from roughly 8AM to 4PM. Then they have a ton of studying to do. And in the sciences that is a lot of material. So, almost all students unless they are brilliant minds, are forced to go into further debt attending dental and medical school.

Dental school in particular just about guarantees high earnings after graduation even working 40 hours a week. Dentist typically aren't pushed to work the hours medical doctors do.

In terms of money, hours, and paying back loans graduating as a dentist is probably better than graduating as medical doctor working as a general practitioner.

My Africology professor once pointed out that East Asian student excel to such a degree in college because regard college as their full time job. Their noses are in the book all day long. As opposed to Americans that often treat college as part-time job or a part-time hobby.

Both graduate schools and professional schools require interviews, letters of recommendation, but they also look at not just the student's GPA but their course load they carried in school. My point here is that a young kid taking 18 credits each semester and getting all A's with one or two B's here and there while in college, is going to have a competitive advantage getting into law school, dental school, optometry school, or a graduate program in chemistry than a student that only took 3 or 6 credits a semester and got all A's.

The problem with college debt levels today is that it's tipping over its value in short and long term in terms of people being able to pay these debts off. Some young woman 25 years old graduating law school with $150,000 of student debt and starting off in her professions a lawyer at about $30,000 a year already has student debt the size of a house loan. This is detrimental to the nation down the line. In the past she would have been expected to acquire a mortgage. But her earning now are so small. She might already have a car note with insurance payments. Marrying would help but it's not guaranteed she'll find a husband--at least not in the near future for her.

Now, I entered painting. I broke into that field by someone that went through some government program, and an employer was teaming up with the city program for lead abatement and hiring inner-city adults in this program. I wasn't in the program but got hired knowing a guy that was. My first job was not lead abatement but cleaning the deck (metal ceiling) of some empty, old, factory or warehouse being turned into office spaces. Off of scaffolding we sprayed dryfall with no respirators. And finished the whole job like that which took us some weeks. Only one garage door opened way. So high we were from the fumes and chemicals we almost would fall off the scaffolding. We did that for $5 an hour under the table. And I later found out union painters got about $22 an hour to spray dryfall back then (with respirators mandatory).

Today... I think union painters in Milwaukee get paid $27 an hour, bringing home about $22 an hour, with the rest going to union dues and their pension fund. They have an 80/20 health insurance policy I think.

My point is it can be better to become a union painter--if you can get in--than to go into debt to become a criminal lawyer having over $100,000 in debt over your head. Certainly it is better to become a union painter than to go to a private university to get a B.A. in art history which will cost you roughly $100,000 for that B.A.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM

So you want to be a criminal defense attorney (pt. 2) - YouTube

Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM

535 posts, read 962,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What is the point of your post?
You applauded the European tuition system as a panacea.
Quote:
That Swedish students have less debt?
You said European higher education is free or next to free. The Swedish student debt chart disproves that fallacy. Swedish higher education debt level is quickly approaching that of their American counterparts.
Quote:
That Europeans have less money than the US for education?
Yes. Less money coming in equals less money going out for student education. The results are stated in the study. Poor end product. Less research and development. Dilapidated buildings. Lack of supplies.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
You applauded the European tuition system as a panacea.
Tuition is much cheaper, yes. However, the best universities in the world are in the US.

Quote:
You said European higher education is free or next to free. The Swedish student debt chart disproves that fallacy. Swedish higher education debt level is quickly approaching that of their American counterparts.
Yes, tuition is free or much cheaper. You can look it up.

Yes, Swedish students borrow money:

The High Price of a Free College Education in Sweden - Matt Phillips - The Atlantic

Quote:
College in Sweden is free. But rent isn't. And food isn't. Neither is the beer that fuels the relatively infrequent, yet legendary, binges in which some Swedes partake. Costs of living in Sweden are high, especially in cities such as Stockholm, which regularly ranks among the world's most expensive places to live. But again, this stuff isn't free for students in other European countries either. So why do Swedish students end up with more debt? It's pretty simple, actually. In Sweden, young people are expected to pay for things themselves instead of sponging off their parents.
College tuition is actually free!!!!!!!!!!!
They simply borrow money to party and to pay rent.

Quote:
Yes. Less money coming in equals less money going out for student education. The results are stated in the study. Poor end product. Less research and development. Dilapidated buildings. Lack of supplies.
This part of your post is correct. The universities have less money.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM

My understanding is that in Germany college is free, however, you have to qualify to get in, otherwise you might be slotted for a trade school. Medical school is free in Germany as well. I heard word of mouth of a Black-American that was accepted into medical school in Germany, his entire education was free, and from what I was told Germany actually paid him to attend medical school. The catch is you have to agree to spend so many years in Germany practicing medicine. That's not a high price to pay. Germany has as good of universities, hospitals, and research facilities as any nation.

University education is free in the state universities in Mexico and Brazil too.

I'm not persuaded the United States necessarily has the best universities in the world. It depend on what one means by "best." In terms of conducting research and attracting a plurality of the greatest minds among students and instructors then yeah... the U.S. probably has the best universities.

In terms of teaching the essentials, especially at undergraduate levels, the U.S. is probably no better than English, German, French, Canadian, Aussie, Japanese, Mexican, Cuban and so on.

With respects to graduate level research into tropical medicines and tropical diseases then Brazil would offer a graduate student more as that is the forte of Brazil's universities life science departments engaged in research.

Brazil also has the most inequitable university system I've ever heard of. Entrance into one of the coveted state universities is tuition free. And about 99% (I think) of the student body comes from homes in the Brazilian upper-class. So, basically, rich kids go to school for free.

Mind you, a lot of the poor Brazilians never finish high school, and you usually need a high school diploma to even think of qualifying for college. But the educational gap between Brazil's rich and poor is so dramatic that it's no wonder inequality in wealth distribution remains so dramatic to this day.

We in the United States are very fortunate to be able and expected to attend primary and secondary level schooling. And the public school system in the U.S. also provides transportation to school and from school and even free lunch for those that qualify I believe. The poor children in Mexico and Brazil have it much harder. In Mexico you may not have any bus transportation to take you to school and no free lunch program either. Many drop out of grade school to work un-taxed jobs to help their families out.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
My understanding is that in Germany college is free, however, you have to qualify to get in, otherwise you might be slotted for a trade school. Medical school is free in Germany as well. I heard word of mouth of a Black-American that was accepted into medical school in Germany, his entire education was free, and from what I was told Germany actually paid him to attend medical school. The catch is you have to agree to spend so many years in Germany practicing medicine. That's not a high price to pay. Germany has as good of universities, hospitals, and research facilities as any nation.

University education is free in the state universities in Mexico and Brazil too.

I'm not persuaded the United States necessarily has the best universities in the world. It depend on what one means by "best." In terms of conducting research and attracting a plurality of the greatest minds among students and instructors then yeah... the U.S. probably has the best universities.

In terms of teaching the essentials, especially at undergraduate levels, the U.S. is probably no better than English, German, French, Canadian, Aussie, Japanese, Mexican, Cuban and so on.

With respects to graduate level research into tropical medicines and tropical diseases then Brazil would offer a graduate student more as that is the forte of Brazil's universities life science departments engaged in research.

Brazil also has the most inequitable university system I've ever heard of. Entrance into one of the coveted state universities is tuition free. And about 99% (I think) of the student body comes from homes in the Brazilian upper-class. So, basically, rich kids go to school for free.

Mind you, a lot of the poor Brazilians never finish high school, and you usually need a high school diploma to even think of qualifying for college. But the educational gap between Brazil's rich and poor is so dramatic that it's no wonder inequality in wealth distribution remains so dramatic to this day.

We in the United States are very fortunate to be able and expected to attend primary and secondary level schooling. And the public school system in the U.S. also provides transportation to school and from school and even free lunch for those that qualify I believe. The poor children in Mexico and Brazil have it much harder. In Mexico you may not have any bus transportation to take you to school and no free lunch program either. Many drop out of grade school to work un-taxed jobs to help their families out.
Good post. When it comes to basic education with no frills the US is probably behind. However, the most elite colleges are in the US, that includes places like Harvard, MIT, etc. Only Cambridge and Oxford compete there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity