Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What part of the good news do you believe he is not speaking about ?. The gospel is good news, and would you agree that any form of good news feels good ?
He is not talking about Christ. There are many ways to make people feel good, but there is only one way to salvation, and he is not talking about it.

It wont hurt you to listen to him, so carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Snippy with you?It was you who found fault in the way I addressed Finn Jarber. Tell me what it is in the bible that he teaches from that you have a problem with? and it would be real nice of you to actually document what it is that he says that is not in the bible, rather than get all upset because his church is full to the rafters and your little old place In the sticks is surviving on the tithes of probably 20-30 folk who are just happy to hear a pastor open a bible and speak what they want to hear a few times a week.

Vizio, your problem (and misconception of the good news) is that you believe that the way of salvation is thinking so wretched and miserable about yourself makes you a prime candidate to go to heaven after you pass from this life, if you believe you are wretched and miserable. I have good news for you, salvation is nothing to do with being a poor miserable wretch and going to heaven because you believe Jesus died upon a cross. Salvation as always been about the here and now, and the salvation we know in the here and now is what we take with us beyond the grave.

Pastor Joel Osteen if he instills within the hearer a confidence before God, I am all over that. This was after all the message of Jesus that your Heavenly Father can be a reality in your life, if you come back to your senses and realize who your true Father is.

Peace and goodwill to you Vizio.
First of all, Jesus said it shouldn't surprise us when the world doesn't like him and doesn't like us as a result. If 30k turn out every week to see him, it's not because he is talking about Jesus. I don't care if we have 20 or 200 people in my little ole country church if it means the only way it will grow numerically is for me to compromise the Gospel. I would rather have 20 actual Christians than 200 goats that just want to be entertained.

Second, your denial of the saving power of the cross tells me you don't have a clue about what the Gospel is either. It's really quite sad. You seem completely unwilling to open your eyes and look at what Jesus actually said.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
First of all, Jesus said it shouldn't surprise us when the world doesn't like him and doesn't like us as a result. If 30k turn out every week to see him, it's not because he is talking about Jesus. I don't care if we have 20 or 200 people in my little ole country church if it means the only way it will grow numerically is for me to compromise the Gospel. I would rather have 20 actual Christians than 200 goats that just want to be entertained.

Second, your denial of the saving power of the cross tells me you don't have a clue about what the Gospel is either. It's really quite sad. You seem completely unwilling to open your eyes and look at what Jesus actually said.

Here you go passing judgement upon those who attend Osteen's church because they do not think and believe like you. Can you tell me what it is you tell the folk in your church? If the folk that go to Osteen's church leave inspired and uplifted, may he continue to entertain them, and why would you have a problem with that ?

The world that didn't like him was the religious world that thought it had all the truth, so it had no need to hear what he had to say,this is absolutely clear in the gospels, and it was these same people that had him crucified. Those you think hated him actually loved him.

The saving power of the gospel is not believe in Jesus so you go to heaven. You cannot see beyond that and see in the scriptures what Jesus Christ went around doing, yes he went around making feel good where ever he went, unless of course you were some one who thought you had the truth, then he made you feel mad.(ask Saul of Tarsaus)

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 AM

Isa 30:9 For these are rebellious people, deceitful children,
children unwilling to listen to the Lord’s instruction.
10 They say to the seers,
“See no more visions!"
and to the prophets,
“Give us no more visions of what is right!
Tell us pleasant things

Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is not talking about Christ. There are many ways to make people feel good, but there is only one way to salvation, and he is not talking about it.

It wont hurt you to listen to him, so carry on.
So week in and week out you want him to tell the folk in the church who are probably for the best part believers, the message you believe in about Jesus, something they already know and believe ?. What would be the point of that. If he's establishing confidence before God in the folk,which by the way when you do have it feels real good he's doing his job.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
“See no more visions!"
and to the prophets,
Tell us pleasant things
He's talking about the very people who thought they had all the truth. Joel Osteen does not believe for one minute he's got it all. You'll never listen to instruction if you believe you know it all already. This is why the deceitful rebellious ones don't want to hear of visions and prophecy, for they know it all.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
“See no more visions!"
and to the prophets,
Tell us pleasant things
Mat 6:24 No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 AM

204 posts, read 351,034 times
I watch Joel all the time, as a non christian, his talks make me tingle inside, makes me feel extremely spiritual.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 AM

2 Timothy 4:3-4 the verses say, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Mat 6:24 No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
So telling folk to trust God to meet you in all your needs, means you love money not God?. Do you know that the scripture teach that He is our rock,strength our shield our exceeding great reward our strong tower our ever present help in time of need, I could keep going, so why do you want to throw in how wretched we are in the mix ?.What is unsound doctrine about teaching folk to trust God, that instills assurance and peace in them ?. Maybe you should go to Pastor Vizios church where they make sure you hear what poor miserable sinners we all are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity