U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM

473 posts, read 616,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The scriptures are not the problem . . . ignorant interpretation of them is. Knowledge of the culture, audience and status differences among men and women is essential to interpreting the intent and import of the verses for the original audience. Lack of such knowledge (ignorance) is what has resulted in the absurd and inappropriate distortions we have when applied to a modern egalitarian culture. Once slaves were similarly status-deprived and the scriptures were improperly used to maintain it. It needs to stop. Christ accepts no such distinctions. God is no respecter of persons. God IS love and we are all loved equally and treated equally. Men have no greater status than women before God. We WILL each reap whatever we sow . . . and we each have Christ as our advocate.
I Love what you wrote--they won't let me do another quick rep for you yet--said I have to spread it around first--still looking to give another a positive(joking)

Yeshua Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-Making America Great Again" (set 8 hours ago)

16,353 posts, read 8,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Phoebe was a deacon in the church.

In Romans 16:1, Paul begins a long series of greetings to people he knows in or near Rome. The first person he mentions is a woman, Phoebe, “who is a diakonon of the church which is at Cenchrea.” This Greek word used by Paul to refer to Phoebe is a familiar word in the Greek world. It’s the word we translate as "deacon."
Deacon is a service role, not a leadership role.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM

40,066 posts, read 26,744,474 times
Quote:
The scriptures are not the problem . . . ignorant interpretation of them is. Knowledge of the culture, audience and status differences among men and women is essential to interpreting the intent and import of the verses for the original audience. Lack of such knowledge (ignorance) is what has resulted in the absurd and inappropriate distortions we have when applied to a modern egalitarian culture. Once slaves were similarly status-deprived and the scriptures were improperly used to maintain it. It needs to stop. Christ accepts no such distinctions. God is no respecter of persons. God IS love and we are all loved equally and treated equally. Men have no greater status than women before God. We WILL each reap whatever we sow . . . and we each have Christ as our advocate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The reason given had nothing to do with culture.
That is why it is important to interpret scripture spiritually and not carnally as you are doing. The natural man (carnal) has no understanding of the Spirit and he misunderstands the import and intent of scripture, period. It has been the main stumbling block to understanding God and Christ's Gospel presented by the mainstream churches. Reliance on the "words written in ink" instead of those "written in our hearts" by God has been the major failure to accept the New Covenant. Christ abides with us (too many do NOT believe this) and His Comforter (Holy Spirit) guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." When we read scripture . . . if we would be led by the Spirit we must use the "mind of Christ" (ask WWJT) . . . NOT what our carnal-minded and ignorant ancestors believed.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM

473 posts, read 616,098 times
Quote:
That is why it is important to interpret scripture spiritually and not carnally as you are doing. The natural man (carnal) has no understanding of the Spirit and he misunderstands the import and intent of scripture, period. It has been the main stumbling block to understanding God and Christ's Gospel presented by the mainstream churches. Reliance on the "words written in ink" instead of those "written in our hearts" by God has been the major failure to accept the New Covenant. Christ abides with us (too many do NOT believe this) and His Comforter (Holy Spirit) guides us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." When we read scripture . . . if we would be led by the Spirit we must use the "mind of Christ" (ask WWJT) . . . NOT what our carnal-minded and ignorant ancestors believed.

Like God said, "The devil knows the Bible forward and backward, my words are written upon the hearts of my people."

"The worst crime is faking it."--Kurt Cobain

Yeshua Bless You

Last edited by Sheila Renae; 09-30-2013 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with the spirit (small "s") of what you say here, but it has nothing to do with this passage. The reason Paul gave was "eternal". It was not based upon any cultural influences.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,089,990 times
Quote:
Nonsense! Paul commended the work of female Christians many times in his letters. Romans 16 is a prime example.
Romans 1:27 Paul explains that "the natural use" of women is to act as sexual objects for the pleasure of men.

Paul says "the head of the woman is the man," meaning that the women are to be subordinate to men. Corinthians 11:3

"Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." Corinthians 11:9

Women are commanded by Paul to be silent in church and to be obedient to men. He further says that "if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church." Corinthians14:34-35 (sounds a lot like a Muslim Mosque doesn't it?)

Do I need to go on to make my point?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Romans 1:27 Paul explains that "the natural use" of women is to act as sexual objects for the pleasure of men.
That's not at all what that passage says. Rather, what is natural for a woman is to have sex with a man, as opposed to same-sex.

Quote:
Paul says "the head of the woman is the man," meaning that the women are to be subordinate to men. Corinthians 11:3

"Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." Corinthians 11:9
Woman was created to be man's partner/helper. Genesis 2:18

Quote:
Women are commanded by Paul to be silent in church and to be obedient to men. He further says that "if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church." Corinthians14:34-35 (sounds a lot like a Muslim Mosque doesn't it?)

Do I need to go on to make my point?
Please don't It's a waste of your time & mine. You have an agenda that doesn't deserve my time, and you're taking this thread OT.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 PM

16,273 posts, read 7,654,495 times
Quote:
That's not true. Paul gave a reason, and it had nothing to do with culture.

1 Tim. 2

12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
Yes, I saw that, and that has got to be the most specious "reason" I have ever seen besides the one where God gets to be unjust because He's God.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM

16,273 posts, read 7,654,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Sounds like He ranks positions upon Earth according to authority and position. They are called spiritual GIFTS.
1 Corinthians 12:28
And remember--the Apostles are considered of the highest rank--authority, right after Jesus. Otherwise all the people of the Bible would carry the same weight and credibility.

Yeshua Bless You
It is Christ and the Spirit that have the authority, not people. See what Paul had to say about members of the body and how they are interdependent. He got most things right.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,089,990 times
Quote:
That's not at all what that passage says. Rather, what is natural for a woman is to have sex with a man, as opposed to same-sex.

Woman was created to be man's partner/helper. Genesis 2:18

Please don't It's a waste of your time & mine. You have an agenda that doesn't deserve my time, and you're taking this thread OT.
I'm sorry you feel that way, however is exactly on topic. Paul said what he did and to deny it or to try and saying that its not in context is not being genuine. I'm sorry that direct quotes in context offend your sense of righteousness.

The truth is what the truth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity