U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you watch the Bill O’Reilly show anymore
Yes 10 47.62%
No 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,071,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
This is a history book, not a religious book so the things Bill says in his book are irrelevant to his faith. Does that mean everything he says in his book is correct? Of course not. Each person has their own feelings and perspectives. You have no grounds to say Bill O'Reilly is not born again. The book may offend you but that is not reason enough to start shouting condemnation towards him.
Condemnation? The man wrote a book called Killing Jesus. Who loves Jesus with all their mind, soul, and strength and titles a book like that. That is no love for someone to have that belief rooted in your heart. B.Orielly is the honor with my lips type, by believing Jesus existed, but his heart is far from him.

This is no different than saying you believe 'A" God, but dont think the God is the God of Abraham, Isacc, and Jacob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM

545 posts, read 383,081 times
bo is an actor with a show, thats all. a celebrity that has a job acting like a ningcompute. the only thing that would make sense is a comic book. and the title of the book is market board room designed. Leading-manipulation and, improper...esp from a lay person. Jesus rose.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-03-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM

870 posts, read 666,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I dont watch this mans show, but how many will continue to watch his show after he puts out a book in which he said he was led by the Holy Spirit which pretty much puts doubt on the New Testament and mocks the words of Jesus.
Did you read the book?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
why would anyone read the book ? the author plays the role of a big mouth know it all bully jerk. A role model from the stinkin pits of the media. Also is a lay person and has zero theological training or career.

A yes man...no ?
I don't know. Maybe if you decide to write commentary on a book, you might read the book. Maybe only then can you separate yourself from the fools.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
I don't know. Maybe if you decide to write commentary on a book, you might read the book. Maybe only then can you separate yourself from the fools.
Orielly has not developed the credibility to step out into the world of theology and is nuts. All ego..even the title is all market manipulation. To spend 2 seconds listening to anything he has to say in this area is ridiculous.

No different then reading a book by Fred Flintstone about the science discovered in the Big Bang and all detail. Worse.

Its all board room contrived.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-03-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Orielly has not developed the credibility to step out into the world of theology and is an ass o. All ego..even the title is all market manipulation. To spend 2 seconds listening to ANYTHING he has to say in this area is ridiculous.

No different then reading a book by Fred Flintstone about the the Big bang and all detail. Worse.
Anyone who actually has paid attention knows that O'Reilly wrote the book as a history book, not a book of theology. Jesus was a man, was he not? He was killed, was he not? The book is called Killing Jesus. Like his other two books, Killing Lincoln, and Killing Kennedy. He was a history teacher once upon a time and this sort of thing interests him.

More people watch his show than all the other shows in his time slot combined. He must be doing something right. Yeah, I know, everyone is a moron, but you.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Anyone who actually has paid attention knows that O'Reilly wrote the book as a history book, not a book of theology. Jesus was a man, was he not? He was killed, was he not? The book is called Killing Jesus. Like his other two books, Killing Lincoln, and Killing Kennedy. He was a history teacher once upon a time and this sort of thing interests him.

More people watch his show than all the other shows in his time slot combined. He must be doing something right. Yeah, I know, everyone is a moron, but you.
He's not a historian. Go to u tube and check how a historian speaks.

theology or any scholarly effort has nothing to do with this above brainwashed idea of popularity, so the last bit is easily snipped.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM

794 posts, read 677,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Condemnation? The man wrote a book called Killing Jesus. Who loves Jesus with all their mind, soul, and strength and titles a book like that. That is no love for someone to have that belief rooted in your heart. B.Orielly is the honor with my lips type, by believing Jesus existed, but his heart is far from him.

This is no different than saying you believe 'A" God, but dont think the God is the God of Abraham, Isacc, and Jacob.
You're not seeing the bigger picture here. This book drew a LOT of attention to Jesus by both believers and non believers. How do you know hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands won't eventually be saved because this book introduced them to Jesus? It doesn't matter what the title of the book is. What matters is the attention Jesus is getting because of it. The book is already the best selling book in the entire world right now. He gave it that title because it matches the rest of his books he has wrote. I agree it could have had a better title and yes I do believe it can be and is offensive to a lot of people especially those of us who know Jesus was not murdered, he laid down His life. It is a history book, remember that. There is no mention of Jesus the Son of God at all in this book.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
He's not a historian. Go to u tube and check how a historian speaks.

theology or any scholarly effort has nothing to do with this above brainwashed idea of popularity, so the last bit is easily snipped.
When did I say he was a historian? Jeez, how can one judge a book when they can't even read a paragraph?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
You're not seeing the bigger picture here. This book drew a LOT of attention to Jesus by both believers and non believers. How do you know hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands won't eventually be saved because this book introduced them to Jesus? It doesn't matter what the title of the book is. What matters is the attention Jesus is getting because of it. The book is already the best selling book in the entire world right now. He gave it that title because it matches the rest of his books he has wrote. I agree it could have had a better title and yes I do believe it can be and is offensive to a lot of people especially those of us who know Jesus was not murdered, he laid down His life. It is a history book, remember that. There is no mention of Jesus the Son of God at all in this book.

Oreilly is always mentioning he is a Catholic on the show which suggests and I would believe he is a practicing Catholic. And Im sure he is a very good person and terrific practicing Catholic.

Also other then his style which isn't going to be liked by everyone I think the show is an asset to the over all culture in the passionate quest to shape things up. So any disagreeing from this end on the show in general is no big deal and will also say at first I liked the shows but not so much anymore.

If a book is written and is widely distributed by a practicing Catholic, even a pro theologian or priest the scholars representing the Church will review and advise public-ally whether or not it is in keeping with the Philosophy of Christianity and the understandings of the Church. Obviously.

Approved writings which can take a good deal of time may receive the well known Nihil Obstat seal telling the hard working Catholics and others who don't have time for nonsense (if its on the level relative to all the massive amount work done through the centuries.

Also if a person has read books from the centuries and Saints and Doctors of the Church it is easily obvious the quality , sincerity and expert writings and initiatives.

Not only the Catholic understandings but also the Orthodox have remarkably similar understandings. Many mutual Saints as well.

If someone comes along and has just one sentence or one development toward heretical translations or a suggestion of question of an understanding then the question becomes, why is the issue not brought to the individuals church for intense scholarly review ?

Therefore by using the position in popularity, and trying to sway the public and assume this is how a Catholic believes or thinks, and off the mark is a conflict.

People have jobs and families and things to do. The general public which also includes Catholic's don't deserve to be bamboozled from what is led to be believed the Catholic understanding when it does not have approval. If a book was written and approved then that's different from such a huge suggested Catholic pulpit to begin with.

It's become a hard lined Catholic Societal Sermon without authority, the show itself.

So if it's off, in just one sentence or even a suggestion of doubt in an area ( and it would be easily argued logically because its been hundreds of years putting everything together) then they will come out and say NO this is contary to church teachings and the reason would rest in very sound logic. I agree with you 100% but not alongside a full understanding in origin from a practicing Catholic's perspective. Its mis-leading without approval which from what I understand will never ever happen. So what happens ? People read the book , twist their thinking around only to find out suppositions and idea's are irrational.There are many many good works and area's a book could be written around, a great overview in an area with commentary could be developed in an interesting fascinating book but this is not so, a great big idea breaking news style with zero authority is the deal.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-04-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or