U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 8 hours ago)

16,367 posts, read 8,910,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I suspect that the rejection of the cross is just another way for some Protestants to differentiate themselves from Catholicism.

Really? Who cares?

Does God care?
I didn't know Protestant churches were rejecting the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM

452 posts, read 573,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I didn't know Protestant churches were rejecting the cross.
Lol...me either.

Catholics have a "crucifix" which has a crucified Christ. Protestants have an empty cross. We don't serve a dead Christ, we serve the Risen Christ...therefore, the empty cross.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM

21,903 posts, read 16,717,502 times
There is no better symbol of Christianity than the cross. As the apostle Paul said in Galatians 6:14;
But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
The Judaizers considered the cross to be an object of shame. But Paul boasted in the cross. The Judaizers boasted in the flesh; but Paul boasted and gloried in the Savior. The cross represents the atonement of Jesus with which Paul was identified.
Gal. 2:20 ''I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Nevertheless, no outward religious symbol or lack of one should be an issue. What matters is your relationship with Christ.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM

304 posts, read 247,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I suspect that the rejection of the cross is just another way for some Protestants to differentiate themselves from Catholicism.

Really? Who cares?

Does God care?
Nobody has rejected the cross.

Interesting that you would suggest that, rather than deal with the points of the conversation, however.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 AM

304 posts, read 247,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is no better symbol of Christianity than the cross. As the apostle Paul said in Galatians 6:14;
But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
The Judaizers considered the cross to be an object of shame. But Paul boasted in the cross. The Judaizers boasted in the flesh; but Paul boasted and gloried in the Savior. The cross represents the atonement of Jesus with which Paul was identified.
Gal. 2:20 ''I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
Nevertheless, no outward religious symbol or lack of one should be an issue. What matters is your relationship with Christ.
Mike, I would suggest that a few verses where Paul mentioned the cross, doesn't over come the dozens where he discussed the way of life we should live. That was the best symbol of Christ, when (past tense) His Church did His work on earth.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM

9,872 posts, read 6,745,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Lol...me either.

Catholics have a "crucifix" which has a crucified Christ. Protestants have an empty cross. We don't serve a dead Christ, we serve the Risen Christ...therefore, the empty cross.
OK. same thing.

Trying to find a way to make themselves different.

Same question: Does God care?

Who cares?

Please, don't say it is idolatry.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM

452 posts, read 573,693 times
No, actually, God doesn't care if we use a cross or not, He only cares when someone worships the cross instead of the One who was crucified.

God is no respecter of persons.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM

21,903 posts, read 16,717,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Mike, I would suggest that a few verses where Paul mentioned the cross, doesn't over come the dozens where he discussed the way of life we should live. That was the best symbol of Christ, when (past tense) His Church did His work on earth.
Would you pit Paul against himself?

Salvation and the spiritual life after salvation are two different issues. Without the saving work of Christ on the cross, there would be no salvation, and no spiritual life. The cross is the very foundation of our salvation. And when I say the cross, I refer to Christ's redemptive work on the cross. Jesus came into the world for the primary purpose of going to the cross.
Phil. 2:8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Again, Paul boasted in the cross. That is not negated by his teachings on how to live the Christian life.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM

63,104 posts, read 34,377,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.

Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.

Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.

I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
The cross is offensive to many, because it symbolizes Christ, the truth, the light and the Gospel of life, which is offensive to many people. People have been murdered for being associated with it.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,686,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The cross is offensive to many, because it symbolizes Christ, the truth, the light and the Gospel of life, which is offensive to many people. People have been murdered for being associated with it.
People have also been murdered by people who use it as their symbol. The KKK hijacked it to promote their brand of hate and intolerance.

I find the KKK's use of the cross to be highly offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity