U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM

56,161 posts, read 54,630,432 times

Advertisements

I really do think that the idea of a symbol that is simple and symmetrical went a long way towards the cross catching on as a widely-used representation of Christianity. That may not be complex or deep enough for some, I realize. But think about it--if anyone knows the most rudimentary basics about the religion-a guy who is supposed to be the son of God dies by crucifixion--the cross will be instantly connected in the mind of the viewer to Christianity and not much else. A heart or a fish leaves questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM

304 posts, read 247,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I really do think that the idea of a symbol that is simple and symmetrical went a long way towards the cross catching on as a widely-used representation of Christianity. That may not be complex or deep enough for some, I realize. But think about it--if anyone knows the most rudimentary basics about the religion-a guy who is supposed to be the son of God dies by crucifixion--the cross will be instantly connected in the mind of the viewer to Christianity and not much else. A heart or a fish leaves questions.
Yup.

That's why I like the fish. It's the picture of Jesus' message. Not the cross. Having to think enough to understand the Ikthys, IXOYE <><

Just to know the story, is a witness.

If we did what the crucifixion actually happened on, we'd walk around with a telephone on our necklaces....
Not that I own one. I do not.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 PM

20,421 posts, read 9,840,546 times
"He was crucified between the mistakes of yesterday; and the fears of tomorrow."

Two thieves!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,059,546 times
To me the cross symbolizes the great love our heavenly Father had for all of mankind in sending Hos only begotten Son to make a way for every one who truly repents to have his or her sins forgiven and to be given the Spirit of the Holy Ghost. Without that Comforter we find it is impossible to observe all of the commandments of Christ, but if we follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we are able to serve the spirit of the commandments not the letter of the law, from which the death of Christ has delivered us.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM

5,147 posts, read 2,535,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.
Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.
Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.
I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
Yes, if a loved one was killed by a gun or electric chair one would Not make miniature jewelery out of that gun or chair. Nor would they have a miniature picture made or sculpture made to hang on one's wall.

The pagan 'Tau' was popular with the non-Christians and by the time of Constantine he allowed pagans to become Christian in name only. They wore a ' T ' symbol as a symbol for their god. Simply by lowering the cross beam the 'Tau' became a cross and then just called or labeled as a 'Christian' symbol.

Christians according to Scripture are to walk by faith Not by sight or sighted things. No outward symbol but rather by cultivating Christian identify by producing the fruit of Gods' spirit of Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness and self control.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Yup.
That's why I like the fish. It's the picture of Jesus' message. Not the cross. Having to think enough to understand the Ikthys, IXOYE <><
Just to know the story, is a witness.
If we did what the crucifixion actually happened on, we'd walk around with a telephone on our necklaces....
Not that I own one. I do not.
Isn't the picture of Jesus' message the ' kingdom of God ' [ good news of God's kingdom ]- Luke 4 v 43, Matt. 24 v 14 ?

2nd Corinthians 5 v 7 says Christians are walking by faith Not by sight or sighted things.

Is God's kingdom a fish or a government ? - Daniel 2 v 44

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 AM

1,542 posts, read 1,059,546 times
God's kingdom is not a fish, but a government ruled by a sovereign God and His Son. This world appears to be mostly governed by Satan, but when Jesus returns to the earth to start His millennial reign, Satan will be banished until the end of 1000 years after which he will bring his hoards to surround the camp of believers, at which time fire came down from heaven and devoured them. (Rev. Chapter 19 or 20 - I'm not sure which.)

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 10-08-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
God's kingdom is not a fish, but a government ruled by a sovereign God and His Son. This world appears to be mostly governed by Satan, but when Jesus returns to the earth to start His millennial reign, Satan will be banished until the end of 1000 years after which he will bring his hoards to surround the camp of believers, at which time fire came down from heaven and devoured them. (Rev. Chapter 19 or 20 - I'm not sure which.)
Focus please.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,763,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.

Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.

Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.

I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
I'm sure the early believers would have been horrified by the sight of gold and silver crosses being worn as Jewelry. It is rather shocking if one really thinks about it.

On the other hand, I have had many hours of deep meditation about the meaning of the cross and what happened at the cross -- so much happened at the cross and it is important to remember that Christ died and that he was crucified -- important to me anyway. I don't condemn people wearing crosses and I think it is simply such a familiar Christian symbol that people almost think nothing of it.

I did get a new feeling about the Sacred Heart while reading this thread though - whereas before I've always passed it off as a Catholic thing, but truth is, the heart of God is completely sacred and holy and ours will be too when we are done being purged from this body of death (by the work of the cross).

Last edited by Heartsong; 10-09-2013 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Try Revelation 20 vs 7 to 10; 21 v 8

Verse 8 B mentions battle with those who are as the 'sand of the sea'

[ Jeremiah 33 v 22; Hebrews 11 v 12 B ]

'Sand of the sea' can't be measured or counted. It is Not talking about meaning a huge number, but meaning an unknown number; an uncounted number.

Not all will be found faithful before the end of the thousand-year kingdom reign over earth, but since the number is Not known shows all still have free-will choices whether to support God's kingdom government arrangement or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity