U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,260 times

Advertisements

I am really glad I have found this forum and hope some of you might lend an ear. I have been pondering moving for awhile now and it looks like I may be in a better financial situation within a few months to do so. I will try not to be long winded but here is the situation: I currently live in a large city but really have never been able to connect to make many friends here (I have one good friend) despite trying for many years (I have been here since 95) and alas other friends have come and gone. One reason I think is that it is a highly transient military town. I like the church I attend but it is quite large and it seems most of the folks there my age are married or much younger and in college - I am single at age 40. Even the Bible study groups seem to be that way. Right now my family only lives an hour away so I can visit off and on which is nice but I would never consider moving back at this time. That area is VERY small and rural and I feel it offers me very little except family. The town is very economically depressed and quite frankly I see it going downhill more all the time. I have prayed about moving but I just can't seem to get a sense of what God wants for me. So the situation is that I am thinking of moving FURTHER away from my family to a growing city where I feel I may have more in common. I actually wanted to move there before moving to my current city but I ended up here instead. The area is not highly transient except many people are moving in -and not out - so in my mind that makes a very different dynamic. People are actually SEEKING to build friendships, relationships whereas here it seems not so much. I guess I feel a bit apprehensive moving there because I won't know any one except my sister who just happens to live there. My fear is that I will be further from my family and I wonder what will I do if I find myself in the same situation there. To boot, I have a good paying (but boring) job so I realize I may have to sacrifice making less money but I think I am willing to do so. I have visited this new area and really think I could fit in and make it my own home. It just feels right if that makes sense. I own a residence where I live now and already have a friend ready to rent it from me. I am really on the fence about what I should do. Any suggestions or hearing someone in same situation would be great appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,255,539 times
If it IS His will for you to move, He will open the doors for you. You said you already have someone willing to rent your home for you...THAT right there is half the battle. Since the real estate market isn't going so good right now, it might be a very good thing for you to rent it out...as long as it is someone that you KNOW you can trust. That being said, also keep in mind that by renting the house, rather than selling it, that also leaves your options open in the case the new place doesn't work out. You know you will always have a home you can go back to where you are now.
Keep praying about it. If it is indeed God's will, He will give you peace and open whatever doors are necessary.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,260 times
Thanks for the response. I was actually in awe how God cleared up my housing situation. One day I was just thinking about what could I do because I didn't want to sell my condo unit and my friend came to mind. I called her and she was very receptive to moving here. She has actually always liked my place and wanted to move in the neighborhood but is priced out right now. And like you said I could always move back. I might add I work for a bank and right now they are laying off folks though not from my facility. I am thinking of getting into a new line of work. If I do move back I could most certainly get my job back having been here for 12 years.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,255,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidtomove View Post
Thanks for the response. I was actually in awe how God cleared up my housing situation. One day I was just thinking about what could I do because I didn't want to sell my condo unit and my friend came to mind. I called her and she was very receptive to moving here. She has actually always liked my place and wanted to move in the neighborhood but is priced out right now. And like you said I could always move back. I might add I work for a bank and right now they are laying off folks though not from my facility. I am thinking of getting into a new line of work. If I do move back I could most certainly get my job back having been here for 12 years.
Well, it sounds like things just may be falling into place for you then. It sounds like you're trying to stay within God's will for you...as long as you do that, He won't steer you wrong. Just trust in Him and let Him lead the way. I know it is sometimes complicated to differentiate between what HIS will is for you and what you want...but, like I said, if it isn't His will, He will close the doors.
It sounds like you're moving in the right direction. It also seems that you have a "perfect" backup just in the case things do not work out for you. Just keep praying about it. If you have peace about it, you can know it is of God. If you don't have peace...then you need to keep praying and perhaps reconsider.
Good luck to you!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,485,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidtomove View Post
I am really glad I have found this forum and hope some of you might lend an ear. I have been pondering moving for awhile now and it looks like I may be in a better financial situation within a few months to do so. I will try not to be long winded but here is the situation: I currently live in a large city but really have never been able to connect to make many friends here (I have one good friend) despite trying for many years (I have been here since 95) and alas other friends have come and gone. One reason I think is that it is a highly transient military town. I like the church I attend but it is quite large and it seems most of the folks there my age are married or much younger and in college - I am single at age 40. Even the Bible study groups seem to be that way. Right now my family only lives an hour away so I can visit off and on which is nice but I would never consider moving back at this time. That area is VERY small and rural and I feel it offers me very little except family. The town is very economically depressed and quite frankly I see it going downhill more all the time. I have prayed about moving but I just can't seem to get a sense of what God wants for me. So the situation is that I am thinking of moving FURTHER away from my family to a growing city where I feel I may have more in common. I actually wanted to move there before moving to my current city but I ended up here instead. The area is not highly transient except many people are moving in -and not out - so in my mind that makes a very different dynamic. People are actually SEEKING to build friendships, relationships whereas here it seems not so much. I guess I feel a bit apprehensive moving there because I won't know any one except my sister who just happens to live there. My fear is that I will be further from my family and I wonder what will I do if I find myself in the same situation there. To boot, I have a good paying (but boring) job so I realize I may have to sacrifice making less money but I think I am willing to do so. I have visited this new area and really think I could fit in and make it my own home. It just feels right if that makes sense. I own a residence where I live now and already have a friend ready to rent it from me. I am really on the fence about what I should do. Any suggestions or hearing someone in same situation would be great appreciated.
I am;
But before you do anything, keep in mind, that it would not be wise to make a move based on the opinion of others. Because each individual is different, and may not see what you're seeing. I would advise waiting on the Holy Spirit to direct you in the path you should take. It sounds to me like the place you're living at now is boring and you are bored. Sounds like you would benefit from being in place that you could mingle and share your faith with others. You can't really hear what God is instructing you to do, because your mind is so busy (distracted) pondering the next best moves and the alternative ands consequences, you sound like myself when and if you do make a move you can't afford for it to be a mistake; so you;'ll have to uproot and move again. I'm much older, but the place i live in is getting old" pretty much mundane. The only reason i'm here is that I love my ministry and i'm growing there. and it's a slow quieter place; But the bad things far outweigh the positive.
I will make a move; So what do you say we pray for one another and mabye we'll make the right choices being led by God?
God Bless
keep us posted

Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

13,555 posts, read 21,649,323 times
I agree with Kaw on this, Afraid..It seems to me that maybe this move is meant to be, because things seem to have just fallen in place for you I have a feeling that you will meet people your own age and interests in this new town and you will have your sister nearby..Good luck my friend..And God Bless..

Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,867,243 times
How far is this city from where you currently live? Is it possible to go there for a weekend, or a few days to seek employment and housing options before you rent your place and quit your current job?

Your sister is family as well, so you will have that bond in your new city. Ask her to help you with housing and employment opportunities which could save you time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity