Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is rational to fear negative consequences of our behaviors . . . but they have to be rational consequences. Fear of reaping what you sow in this life is rational. Fear of reaping more than you sow (an infinite eternal torment for this finite life) is an irrational fear. We will reap what we sow . . . but not more than we sow.
No, it is rational if eternal damnation is reaping what I sow based upon God's law. Jesus has stated that once people go to hell they will be there for eternity. I will just trust that. If I'm wrong all the better.

However, others have free will and if they wish to ignore this and disbelieve it then it is their souls, they can do with their souls as the wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There is an expression called "taking the high road". Also "taking the low road". These generally mean that when two possible scenario present themselves, the person(s) making a decision about what to believe can "take the high road" (the more positive scenario) or "take the low road" (the more negative scenario).
If they believe it because that is what they want to believe, then I can only say that, yes, that is quite a sadistic person. I say that because, from a human's perspective I feel that eternal torment is one of the most disgusting, hateful, and heinous things I can ever imagine. Nevertheless, if they believe it because that is what Scripture has revealed to them, then I do not believe they necessarily have anything especially sadistic about them.

Personally, I feel that I am not nor will I ever be a biblical scholar. I was called to a specific faith by God's will and that is the measure of faith I was given. It's doctrines testify to the biblical accuracy of some eternal punishment for the unbeliever. Although I hate that idea practically above anything else, I feel that at this point in my life I must honor God's calling and until my further studies in Scripture reveal otherwise, that is what I believe. I do not know what the extent of the torment will be.

Personally, when I feel quite far from God (as I more or less feel now), I feel quite tormented. I'm hoping that that is sort of what it will be like, and the unbeliever won't necessarily be physically tortured; rather, it will be more or less a mental anguish of having God's glory finally revealed to them and then not being able to partake of it(?). I still feel that that is quite cruel (give my faith's other doctrines); nevertheless, I trust in God and believe He is kind, compassionate, and merciful.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 PM

304 posts, read 302,085 times
I understand your opinion. Now, please apply it to the verses through exegetics and hermeneutics please? Show how those verses support your claim without having to be reworded.

It either does, or it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Xian, I don't totally agree with you that God repeats a message over and over again in Scripture to fear not.

On the other hand God sends repeated messages to fear.

It's like Jesus stating don't judge and judge justly.

I think it comes down to context.

At any rate, I've experienced a good amount of life in the inner-city. I know personally misery company, the one closet to you can betray you, and I've heard a lot of the pimp game streets. Bought into some of it before unfortunately.

All the wicked know a loving God that is sooooooooooooooo "loving," by human conception of the term "love," that God would never send a person to hell for eternity. The same God that allows all this misery on earth. Children abducted and murdered. Deformities and broken hearts of all sorts.

You are not pimp talking me into the idea I need not fear eternal damnation in hell (even if it was only 20 years in hell I still wouldn't want to be in hell--no more than I want to spend 20 years in a U.S. prison which is a lot less suffering than hell).

Fear of hell is a small price to pay. A tiny price for me. If hell is worse than heroin addiction then I need to fear hell more than heroin addiction. And I don't plan on shooting heroin up into my veins, "to have no fear," to see if I can live pretty happy if I get addicted to heroin because God is sooooooooooooooo loving there is no waaaaaaaay he would allow me to suffer due to my own choices to break his laws.

Everyone is responsible for their own souls. Those that want to play around like New Orleans and Louisiana played around with the levees before Katrina then so be it. That is their right by free will.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
And if people were honest fear is one of the biggest motivators of everything we do just in this life for this life. Notice the United States has nuclear weapons it's fearful of giving up because with nukes it can deter attacks from nuclear powers. In theory.

Men do or won't do X, Y, Z out of fear of losing their jobs, girlfriends, reputations, money etc.
So, who cares that there is no fear in perfect love.

And that if you don't have that finished love, you don't know HIM and HE dont' know you...

That's...... irrelevant?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I've never heard that, but I'd say, you can't understand the good news without understanding the bad news.
I'd say you never read but selected verses. I"m not universalist either.

If you have to give the FEAR to "tell the gospel", you've never had the gospel.

Try me on that. I bet folks would allow us a mostly private chat if you want to dare me to prove it?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
I'd say you never read but selected verses. I"m not universalist either.

If you have to give the FEAR to "tell the gospel", you've never had the gospel.

Try me on that. I bet folks would allow us a mostly private chat if you want to dare me to prove it?
To tell the whole gospel, you have to show why mankind needed a savior.

Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Then the consequences...

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Then, the good news.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To tell the whole gospel, you have to show why mankind needed a savior.

Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Then the consequences...

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Then, the good news.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."
Do you have any examples of this Jimmie from the ministry of Jesus and the apostles ?.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is rational to fear negative consequences of our behaviors . . . but they have to be rational consequences. Fear of reaping what you sow in this life is rational.
Fear of reaping more than you sow (an infinite eternal torment for this finite life) is an irrational fear. We will reap what we sow . . . but not more than we sow.
The symptoms of fear can range from mild feelings of apprehension to major panic attacks. Typically, the closer a person is to that which they fear the most; the greater their fears become, even if it is not logical or rational. Claustrophobia may cause a person to fear confined spaces, which will not harm them. And, the fear of rejection or judgment, leads many to believe things that simply are not true.

"Fear, when it is used to control people is a powerful force."

Many never overcome it!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Jesus has stated that once people go to hell they will be there for eternity.
That is an incorrect assumption.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you have any examples of this Jimmie from the ministry of Jesus and the apostles ?.
Sure. John 3:16-36.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity