U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM

304 posts, read 247,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If there isn't a sadistic streak there's certainly a lot of meanness in some. When they start listing details of the tortures of hell you know they've thought about it a lot. Takes a certain type of person to dwell on the tortures they think people will endure. It also takes a certain type of person to sit and listen and say "Amen" when the guy in the pulpit starts talking about hell. And how the people in the other church are all going there.
Scripturally that person obsessed with the torments, is afraid of the torments, and scripture says that means he doesn't yet LOVE as he should. It says if he doesn't get there, he's not with God. That's why I get annoyed at the ones who promote God as a fascist threat to humanity. They miss the whole point of the gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,625,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
" the lukewarm I shall vomit from my mouth "
" not everyone who says Lord,Lord, shall be saved "
Thanks for posting this Teddy. No where in the bible does it say "not everyone who says Lord, Lord shall be saved". In fact it says the exact opposite of what you "quoted".

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
etc.

You were probably thinking of Mat 7:21, but it doesn't say what you quoted.
Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Clearly "entering the Kingdom of Heaven" is different than "being saved", otherwise the bible would be contradicting itself.

It becomes clearer when we look at a more accurate translation. YLT:
Matt 7:21 `Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens.

Not everyone will come into the reign of the heavens - this is talking about reigning with Christ (you can do a large study on this, other verses talk about reigning with Christ, judging angels, being kings, ministers, priests, etc. Who do you think you would be preaching to?)

So again, this is nothing to do with any eternal hell.

Quote:
"if your eye is your temptation ,pluck it out,Better to enter heaven with one eye than enter Gihanna with 2 eyes"
And how many people are walking around with their eye plucked out?

Quote:
" There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth "
Yes, there is plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth in this world we live in (even in this very forum!).
Notice, again it doesn't say anything about a fabled eternal hell.

This is how these arguments usually go. People post a verse implying Look! There! This verse is talking about eternal hell! When in reality it is saying no such thing.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,742,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks for posting this Teddy. No where in the bible does it say "not everyone who says Lord, Lord shall be saved". In fact it says the exact opposite of what you "quoted".

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
etc.

You were probably thinking of Mat 7:21, but it doesn't say what you quoted.
Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Clearly "entering the Kingdom of Heaven" is different than "being saved", otherwise the bible would be contradicting itself.

It becomes clearer when we look at a more accurate translation. YLT:
Matt 7:21 `Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens.

Not everyone will come into the reign of the heavens - this is talking about reigning with Christ (you can do a large study on this, other verses talk about reigning with Christ, judging angels, being kings, ministers, priests, etc. Who do you think you would be preaching to?)

So again, this is nothing to do with any eternal hell.

And how many people are walking around with their eye plucked out?

Yes, there is plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth in this world we live in (even in this very forum!).

This is how these arguments usually go. People post a verse implying Look! There! This verse is talking about eternal hell! When in reality it is saying no such thing.

and that is YOUR opinion vs my opinion

Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM

63,193 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And yet, as thrill pointed out, you believe ET in spite of the fact that there is much to point to the possibility that it isn't true. That's not the case for physical death.
It is not that I choose to believe it, I just believe it, just I believe there is physical death, and that 2+2=4. I can't snap my fingers and not believe things. If that is what you do, then your faith is not real.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,190,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not that I choose to believe it, I just believe it, just I believe there is physical death, and that 2+2=4. I can't snap my fingers and not believe things. If that is what you do, then your faith is not real.
Everyone can verify that physical death and addition facts are true. No one can verify that your belief that God will torment people for eternity is.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM

590 posts, read 664,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

There is a segment of the population who has regularly told me that I will rightfully be thrown in hell to mash my teeth without any end. They salivate at the thought of looking over a rail in heaven down upon people agonizing in hell and being able to say "See? I told you so!". Don't take this fantasy away from them. : )

Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,449,992 times
I don't know if they have a sadistic streak and I haven't read through this entire thread to see all the responses. But many people just repeat what they hear.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,878,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
" the lukewarm I shall vomit from my mouth "
" not everyone who says Lord,Lord, shall be saved "

"if your eye is your temptation ,pluck it out,Better to enter heaven with one eye than enter Gihanna with 2 eyes"

" There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth "
I have yet to meet a person who plucked the eye out.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,878,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
There is a segment of the population who has regularly told me that I will rightfully be thrown in hell to mash my teeth without any end. They salivate at the thought of looking over a rail in heaven down upon people agonizing in hell and being able to say "See? I told you so!". Don't take this fantasy away from them. : )
It is pretty interesting how they will burn and not burn up. It takes only God to cause some miracle like that. So God will be in hell too. I just wonder how you will gnash you teeth is you are a spirit. But it also day the smoke will rise forever. How is it smoke if they don't really burn. Kinda strange.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 PM

63,193 posts, read 34,429,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Everyone can verify that physical death and addition facts are true. No one can verify that your belief that God will torment people for eternity is.
So, you don't believe anything you can't verify. I know some others who think that way too, and they don't even believe God exists, because they can't verify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity