U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Think Mel Gibson "pre-Vatican II". I mean the ultra-conservative folk that only approve of the Latin Mass.

I know a fair number of people who go to Latin Mass. (They wouldn't appreciate being lumped in with Mel Gibson, BTW.) They would be the LAST people to go door to door for something like this. Food drive? Yes. Lecture unknown people on the evils of Halloween? Not happening among the Latin Mass go'ers I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM

56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Mormons and JW's both do. I personally think they're outside the realm of "Christian", but they do consider themselves to be. I would suggest they were very like Jehovah's Witnesses.

Having said that, if the OP can't tell me what religion they were, why is he/she denouncing Christians?
He/she isn't. He/she made that clear.

I had JW's stop by here the other day. They had pamphlets, no bible. We don't get many Mormons around here, so I don't know what the LDS carry.

But, I've never heard of either JWs or Mormons denouncing Halloween, while the fundamentalists Christians are well-known for it. While it doesn't seem that the OP asked what church it was, it's not a wild assumption. I know some such Christians--nice people--but I don't agree with their obsessive focus on making an innocent holiday long leftover from some old tradition into some sort of evil-spirit free-for-all. Personally, I think they're too damn cheap to buy candy.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM

21,948 posts, read 21,747,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Pamphlets and method of engagement and traveling in pairs suggest to me Witnesses, based on who comes a knocking at my door. Two guys wearing white shirts and dark ties, might have been LDS but I dont know that they approach businesses, just residences, in my experience.
I've had my share of Jehovah witness visits. By the look of their bibles Id guess not.
I don't think they realized it was a business. We are located in a house on a rural road, but I have had the same literature left when our business was in the business district.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Truthfully I think the world would be better off with a different holiday for the end of October but this is the one that happened.
There is one. The ancient (and still celebrated) Celtic festival called Samhain.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
In my opinion, being led of the Spirit has nothing to do with rules/laws - that was done away with; but come, let us reason together...

What does Light have to do with darkness? Filling our minds with that which is pure, lovely, of a good report...though it may be lawful, is it profitable or expedient? I don't condemn anyone for dressing up like those of the underworld , but when I hear a believer saying there's nothing wrong with it I wonder...

Again, imo.
In your opinion what is wrong with it?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:36 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,846,710 times
Well, to be fair, I think people who dont like Halloween should have just as much right to their viewpoint as others. Actually, I look forward to Halloween time because it makes me think. It makes me think about the reason I choose not to do certain things. Each person has to answer for himself whether the origins of a custom matter. I think that origins do matter. For example, most people would get upset if their neighbors got dressed up as gang bangers or Nazis. Why? Because of the origins and appearances of these groups and what they stand foró are principles that most people find offensive. I also find the principles offensive that the devil, wicked spirits, and witches represent, and I donít want myself or family associated with them. That may be why we have ratings for TV, movies and many video games these days. So I think itís good to protect our minds and give thought to the choices we make, our reasons for making them and to make them based on principle rather than on what is popular. Thatís why I like this time of year. I am not ashamed to think or be different and to stand by what I believe in.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,902,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In your opinion what is wrong with it?

Remember Zeena Schreck? The Church of Satan?

Off the deep end to be sure, but in the minds of young people, there is no bottom to the pit of discovery. The next thing you know, it's Ouija boards and sťances. It all sounds harmless, until it's your kid getting threats from weird voices over the phone.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM

21,968 posts, read 22,136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But, I've never heard of either JWs or Mormons denouncing Halloween, while the fundamentalists Christians are well-known for it.
Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses are adamantly opposed to anything and everything to do with Halloween. They're at least as outspoken on the subject as Mormons. Mormons, on the other hand, love celebrating Halloween. Mormon wards (i.e. congregations) often have Halloween parties for the kids. I personally don't care at all for Halloween, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with any kind of disapproval of the holiday, particularly on religious grounds.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-02-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM

56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses are ademantly opposed to anything and everything to do with Halloween. They're at least as outspoken on the subject as Mormons. Mormons, on the other hand, love celebrating Halloween. Mormon wards (i.e. congregations) often have Halloween parties for the kids. I personally don't care at all for Halloween, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with any kind of disapproval of the holiday, particularly on religious grounds.
Thanks. I don't know and haven't encountered many Jehovah's Witnesses. There was a JW woman at work once, but she kept her religion to herself, as we all do in a multicultural setting.

I've only personally known certain types of Christians to speak up about Halloween.

If someone doesn't want to participate in Halloween activities based on their religious beliefs, that should be respected, but they should not be trying to push those beliefs on others not of their sect. Put those pamphlets into the recycling bin, please, and call it a day.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Mormons and JW's both do. I personally think they're outside the realm of "Christian", but they do consider themselves to be. I would suggest they were very likely Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, I've had JW's knock on my door and offer anti-Halloween literature.

Having said that, if the OP can't tell me what religion they were, why is he/she denouncing Christians?
Apparently you are offended by my use of the word Christian. Around here we use the word Christian as a blanket descriptive word for religious folk who believe in Jesus Christ. I am not denouncing Christians. I'm not denouncing anyone. I am one, venting and two, interested in other peoples opinions and belief in anti-Halloween sentiment especially to the extreme that they go door to door to spread the truth about Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity