U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM

22,007 posts, read 21,786,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Remember Zeena Schreck? The Church of Satan?

Off the deep end to be sure, but in the minds of young people, there is no bottom to the pit of discovery. The next thing you know, it's Ouija boards and sťances. It all sounds harmless, until it's your kid getting threats from weird voices over the phone.
No. What does she have to do with Halloween? What has she to do with celebrating departed souls, dressing up or anything associated with Halloween?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM

21,978 posts, read 22,183,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If someone doesn't want to participate in Halloween activities based on their religious beliefs, that should be respected, but they should not be trying to push those beliefs on others not of their sect.
I agree totally.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well, to be fair, I think people who dont like Halloween should have just as much right to their viewpoint as others. Actually, I look forward to Halloween time because it makes me think. It makes me think about the reason I choose not to do certain things. Each person has to answer for himself whether the origins of a custom matter. I think that origins do matter. For example, most people would get upset if their neighbors got dressed up as gang bangers or Nazis. Why? Because of the origins and appearances of these groups and what they stand foró are principles that most people find offensive. I also find the principles offensive that the devil, wicked spirits, and witches represent, and I donít want myself or family associated with them. That may be why we have ratings for TV, movies and many video games these days. So I think itís good to protect our minds and give thought to the choices we make, our reasons for making them and to make them based on principle rather than on what is popular. Thatís why I like this time of year. I am not ashamed to think or be different and to stand by what I believe in.
I definitely agree people have a right to their own opinion. I have opinions but I don't go door to door trying to convert followers.

The thing is, they should at least get their facts straight. Halloween is not a satanic holiday, never has been. If someone is going to show me the truth they need some truth to back it up.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,664,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apparently you are offended by my use of the word Christian. Around here we use the word Christian as a blanket descriptive word for religious folk who believe in Jesus Christ. I am not denouncing Christians. I'm not denouncing anyone. I am one, venting and two, interested in other peoples opinions and belief in anti-Halloween sentiment especially to the extreme that they go door to door to spread the truth about Halloween.
You said Christians. You don't know for a fact that the people at your door were Christians. You are making an assumption.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM

56,346 posts, read 54,783,496 times
Quote:
Remember Zeena Schreck? The Church of Satan?

Off the deep end to be sure, but in the minds of young people, there is no bottom to the pit of discovery. The next thing you know, it's Ouija boards and sťances. It all sounds harmless, until it's your kid getting threats from weird voices over the phone.
And here I thought you were going to say, "until someone loses an eye"!

But I've never heard of Zeena Schreck, and none the children I've ever known, including myself, who went trick-or-treating over the past decades descended into these dark fathomless pits of discovery of which you speak. Most kids who go trick-or-treating grow up to be regular people. Maybe a few participated in Ouija boards and seances--not my thing, but neither is it something that the majority of people dabble in.

Hate to tell you this, but CANDY is the main focus of Halloween for kids. Where do you live that this would not be the case?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You said Christians. You don't know for a fact that the people at your door were Christians. You are making an assumption.
Again, if it walks like a duck..........They were both carrying King James version bibles dressed like Sunday morning wanting to give me literature about the evils of Halloween. Should I assume they were atheists?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,913,313 times
Quote:
No. What does she have to do with Halloween? What has she to do with celebrating departed souls, dressing up or anything associated with Halloween?
Children, and their impressionable minds.

I have a background in the occult, and it's something we don't want our young people playing with.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Again, if it walks like a duck..........They were both carrying King James version bibles dressed like Sunday morning wanting to give me literature about the evils of Halloween. Should I assume they were atheists?
Now now. They COULDA been bored government workers with nothing to do because of the shutdown.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

39,362 posts, read 18,852,564 times
In my church the ordained minister was also a Wiccan Priestess.....and we had services on the holy days on the wiccan calendar. It had nothing to do with Devils or deamons....it had to do with the cycles of nature and respect for the earth and ancient wisdom.

I have always loved Halloween. I do not like the emphasis on zombies and horror as I feel that disrespects the dead...and I feel a close connection to those who have passed on.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Children, and their impressionable minds.

I have a background in the occult, and it's something we don't want our young people playing with.
I had a high-school friend who decided to worship Satan. She was weird. Her friends were weird. I stopped hanging around with her.

But it had ZERO to do with Halloween. Children going trick-or-treating has nothing to do with the occult or being attracted to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity