U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I can only guess that some folks are upset that Christianity copies everything the world does. No longer is it a beacon of light. Some churches still refuse to celebrate it, while others have kids with masks and doing the while candy thing. Some churches even make it pretty fun.
I think it is just silly that they refuse to call it a halloween party. It is called a fall fest, hallelujah fest, etc. it is what it is. You gotta respect the jahovahs witness. They stand firm and refuse to budge. That is honorable. At the end, the kids are just getting candy and having fun. It is what it is and there is no changing it.
My mom's church used to have a Noah's Ark party on Halloween. The kids could dress up as animals and the decorations are Noah's Ark themed and they get candy and snacks and have activities. I don't know if they still do that. I thought it was a cute alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM

39,296 posts, read 18,819,760 times
I believe Halloween is as harmless and as American main stream as Apple Pie. I see loving families with adorable children in cute costumes coming to my door; with proud parents waiting at the sidewalk to let the kids have an experience of independence and to experience the kindness of non related adults. It is fun.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM

4,408 posts, read 4,062,796 times
I dont get into all the satanic stuff of Halloween, since most kids dont care and just want some candy.

If Halloween has a demonic history to it, why cant Christians just leave the day alone. You dont see atheist, muslims, and buddist saying...Hey Im going to make Passover, or Easter my day too in honor of my religion and call it another name. If Halloween is just about candy so be it, but stop try to have hallelujah night, aetc, jut to partake in the day. God says do not be conformed to this world. Your kids will be just fine, going 1 day without putting on a costume dressing like a witch, or some creepy character.

You train your kids all throughout childhood not to speak to strangers, but let them go to strangers houses and get candy or whatever the stranger offers to them on Halloween.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,933,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Since this is a "Christianity" board, I thought it appropriate to ask if you seriously can picture Christ leading His disciples door to door asking for tootsie rolls...

But seriously, it's not that Halloween is about ghosts and goblins - it's really irrelevant what it is; it's the fact that God has delivered us out of the kingdom of darkness into His light, and has appointed us to be His bride, His body. So what are we to be, to do...but to bring deliverance to captives?

(There's nothing right/wrong about Halloween from a Christian perspective, except it's a total distraction from our Father's business...so is Christmas, for that matter.)

But I'm not speaking to Christians, am I?
Ummm....yes, you are. I'm sure many of us responding to this thread are exactly that.

This is exactly the attitude that turns so many off from wanting to hear the word of God and develop a relationship with Him. Please don't do that. Personally, I think the generosity of candy giving, the feelings of love and fellowship that go with trick or treating door to door and the fun and excitement of dressing up as a character is all in keeping with our Fathers desire for us to enjoy our life and harms no one. When my kids went out on Halloween, they were clowns, tigers, superman, bums, pirates, etc. My sister and I went as fairies, robin hood, princesses, and all kinds of assorted characters when we were young. I think one year I was a witch. And none of us were led down the "dark road" of evil and started worshipping Satan.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:54 PM

39,296 posts, read 18,819,760 times
I couldn't imagine Jesus taking the kids to soccer or little league either.....or in a boyscout uniform....or a million other things that kids and parents do that are totally wholesome.

And I am not a Christian.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, I can not only picture Him going door to door I can picture him laughing with the kids. I can also picture him teaching and talking while he walked along. (Probably enjoying a bite of candy and then giving the rest away.) And I have a WONDERFUL picture in my mind of him reaching out - with overwhelming love in his heart - to heal the leper that he was told lived in Apartment 3-A.
Darn. I can't rep you again yet, so this will have to do. I can picture exactly the same thing as you can!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM

304 posts, read 247,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I can only guess that some folks are upset that Christianity copies everything the world does. No longer is it a beacon of light. Some churches still refuse to celebrate it, while others have kids with masks and doing the while candy thing. Some churches even make it pretty fun.
I think it is just silly that they refuse to call it a halloween party. It is called a fall fest, hallelujah fest, etc. it is what it is. You gotta respect the jahovahs witness. They stand firm and refuse to budge. That is honorable. At the end, the kids are just getting candy and having fun. It is what it is and there is no changing it.
The Church did it first. :|

That's why it's called Halloween.

All hallows even. At Midnight it's right between. the EVE and the day. That's how it got Hallows WEEN between the two days.

This is like the myth that Christianity copied Mithra, when in fact Mithra's story changed AFTER Christ, from the story he had before Christ.

People go to any extreme to dismiss what they can't explain away.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,896,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, so there we have it. You have decided that only YOU are a Christian and I (and others) are not. I did not realize God had given you such authority. I'll have to let my fellow parishioners know.

And yes, I can picture Jesus going door to door looking for tootsie rolls. At least if he lived today. He seems to have a had a great sense of humor. Perhaps he would be dressed as a Pharisee or a tax collector. If you can live every waking moment doing God's business, then bless you. Most of us live our lives and try to incorporate God into it, while others are able to give their entire lives to living every moment in Christ while at the same time spouting meaningless rhetoric about bringing deliverance to captives and posting snotty condescending comments to others on the Internet.

I bow to your superiority as a Christian, my friend. Go dance around your backyard firepit in the delight of your overwhelming confidence of your place at the right hand of Christ at his table. I'll see you in heaven when I'm mopping the floors.
I admire your analogies. Some people just excavate for reasons to be offended about everything! Get a sense of humor, folks. They are sold at WalMart for 14.95 and I am told that it works wonders upon your outlook if you invest in one!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 AM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
OK, I've only read to post #24, can't wait to reply. If I'm being repetitious, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The OP has yet to tell us how he/she decided they were fundamentalist Christians. For all you know, they were conservative pre-Vatican 2 Catholics.
The OP did not say the couple were fundamentalist Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're making assumptions. I know there are some pretty conservative traditionalist Catholics that probably hate Halloween. I agree that it isn't likely to be some of them, but for all you know it's very probably one of the pseudo-Christian cults.
My Trick or Treating days were in the 1950s/early 60s. I grew up in a community that was at least 75% traditional Roman Catholic- Beaver Falls, PA. Even today, 57% of people in Beaver County consider themselves Catholics, more did back then, and Beaver Falls was known as a heavily Catholic town even for this heavily Catholic county. I did not know ONE person, Catholic or otherwise, that did not celebrate Halloween. The Reformed Presbyterians also had a large presence there, again, I knew of none that opposed Halloween celebrations, at least not actively. My family belonged to a conservative Lutheran church, and our youth group went Trick or Treating for UNICEF.
http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-PA.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First sentence--carrying bibles and pamphlets. Do you know of any other types of Christians besides fundies who carry bibles and pamphlets?

And I don't know anyone other than the fundamentalists who worry about Halloween.

It's not celebrating evil and darkness. Halloween is taking something that's supposedly dark and evil and turning into silliness and fun.

Besides, last time I checked God made black cats and bats. There are no real women I've ever met who wear pointy hats and have green skin. Real evil people look just like everybody else.

Those of us of a certain age know that this whole anti-Halloween schtick is pretty new, maybe appearing over the last 20 years or so. For years before that, Christian children dressed up in silly costumes and went around knocking on doors for candy. None of them that I recall ever brought home an evil spirit by doing so.

How about focusing some of that energy on doing good instead of trying to destroy some simple fun.
Agreed.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-03-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM

21,825 posts, read 16,682,806 times
Here's an interesting article on the origins and customs of Halloween.

Excerpt:

History traces Halloween back to the ancient religion of the Celtics in Ireland. The Celtic people were very conscious of the spiritual world and had their own ideas of how they could gain access to it - such as by helping their over 300 gods to defeat their enemies in battle, or by imitating the gods in showing cleverness and cunning.

Halloween Origins and Customs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity