Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, being led of the Spirit has nothing to do with rules/laws - that was done away with; but come, let us reason together...

What does Light have to do with darkness? Filling our minds with that which is pure, lovely, of a good report...though it may be lawful, is it profitable or expedient? I don't condemn anyone for dressing up like those of the underworld , but when I hear a believer saying there's nothing wrong with it I wonder...

Again, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What religion were they?
Quote:
The OP has yet to tell us how he/she decided they were fundamentalist Christians. For all you know, they were conservative pre-Vatican 2 Catholics.
They were Christians not Catholics, not sure which flavor. I live in a predominantly Christian area, rural bible belt. I have been a member of a Southern Baptist Church. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its a duck. They could have been Church of Christ, I'm not sure. I wish I would have asked, but I was at work and my boss would not have been pleased with me engaging them.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They were Christians not Catholics, not sure which flavor. I live in a predominantly Christian area, rural bible belt. I have been a member of a Southern Baptist Church. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, its a duck. They could have been Church of Christ, I'm not sure. I wish I would have asked, but I was at work and my boss would not have been pleased with me engaging them.
If you don't know what religion they were, why are you denouncing all Christians? I know several folks in the Church of Christ that let their kids trick-or-treat. I also know a lot of Southern Baptists that do. I personally let my kids go out.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
People work really hard to "have knowledge others don't". This way they feel better about themselves and they can preach to others. SOme like to create "things of power" in the Xian faith to show they are something..... I dunno why folks bask All Hallows eve.

It's a Christian holiday.

Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Halloween is not the Christian holiday. November 1st - All Saints Day is the Christian (now Catholic) Holy Day of Obligation.

Halloween falls on the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows' Day (also known as All Saints', Hallowmas or Hallowtide) on November 1 and All Souls' Day on November 2, thus giving the holiday on October 31 the full name of All Hallows' Eve.[26] These two days are collectively referred to as Hallowmas and are a time for honoring the saints and praying for the recently departed souls who have yet to reach Heaven. All Saints was introduced in the year 609, but was originally celebrated on May 13.[27] In 835, it was switched to November 1 (the same date as Samhain) at the behest of Pope Gregory IV.[27] Some have suggested this was due to Celtic influence, while others suggest it was a Germanic idea.[27]

Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I understand your frustration, but please don't blame all Christians for what a few misguided fundamentalist Christians do
Of course not. I consider myself a Christian too, just not a very good one. As a child growing up in a Southern Baptist church I never heard the condemnation of Halloween.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Pamphlets and method of engagement and traveling in pairs suggest to me Witnesses, based on who comes a knocking at my door. Two guys wearing white shirts and dark ties, might have been LDS but I dont know that they approach businesses, just residences, in my experience.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
The OP has yet to tell us how he/she decided they were fundamentalist Christians. For all you know, they were conservative pre-Vatican 2 Catholics.
First sentence--carrying bibles and pamphlets. Do you know of any other types of Christians besides fundies who carry bibles and pamphlets?

And I don't know anyone other than the fundamentalists who worry about Halloween.

It's not celebrating evil and darkness. Halloween is taking something that's supposedly dark and evil and turning into silliness and fun.

Besides, last time I checked God made black cats and bats. There are no real women I've ever met who wear pointy hats and have green skin. Real evil people look just like everybody else.

Those of us of a certain age know that this whole anti-Halloween schtick is pretty new, maybe appearing over the last 20 years or so. For years before that, Christian children dressed up in silly costumes and went around knocking on doors for candy. None of them that I recall ever brought home an evil spirit by doing so.

How about focusing some of that energy on doing good instead of trying to destroy some simple fun.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My childhood predates Vatican II and I was raised in a strict, Catholic home.

And never did I hear my parents, teachers (mostly nuns) or priests have anything negative to say about Halloween. We used to knock on the rectory to collect treats from the priest along our route.

I think it's fair to suggest the couple in the OP's post were some variety of fundamentalist Christian. One of my sisters fell into their control and never allowed my nieces to trick or treat.
I'll go you one better. My sister converted to one of the fundamentalist varieties several years ago. She once bought a Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner, then taped over the word "Devil" so that she would not be influenced by Satan. I told her "You could have bought a Eureka"

Quote:
If you don't know what religion they were, why are you denouncing all Christians? I know several folks in the Church of Christ that let their kids trick-or-treat. I also know a lot of Southern Baptists that do. I personally let my kids go out.
I'm not denouncing all Christians. I grew up Southern Baptist. We always celebrated Halloween. I still go to church on occasion and my church has nothing against Halloween. My bro. and his family are Church of Christ. I have no idea what church these people represented. I'm trying to understand what some particular Christians have against Halloween, how other people, especially religious people, feel about it. I guess the most frustrating thing is that these religious folks spend their energy on such unsubstantiated nonsense when there is so much other good they could do.

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First sentence--carrying bibles and pamphlets. Do you know of any other types of Christians besides fundies who carry bibles and pamphlets?
Mormons and JW's both do. I personally think they're outside the realm of "Christian", but they do consider themselves to be. I would suggest they were very likely Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, I've had JW's knock on my door and offer anti-Halloween literature.

Having said that, if the OP can't tell me what religion they were, why is he/she denouncing Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity