Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I grew up in the bible belt, where there is a lot of tug of war between bible thumpers and kids who wag their tongues at them - so there's the setting.

But as a teenager when my buddies and I would "prowl around" on Halloween, we were on drugs and doing all kinds of things to probe into this world of spirits and fright. It was real terror we wanted to incite, and we weren't interested in jelly beans or Snickers.

When there are troubled kids, there are triggers that set off behaviors and thoughts - I don't expect everybody to understand that.
With all due respect..... that's just it. You were, apparently, a troubled kid doing drugs. Would you have looked into the dark side if you weren't doing drugs?

Guys like Charles Manson succeed because they know to pick out the troubled, vulnerable kids who are on the fringes. He didn't pick out the kids who had stable families, were drug-free and studying to get a scholarship to a good college. He went for the person who was vulnerable because he/she was alienated for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If Halloween didn't exist, you and your terrorizing buds would have found another outlet. It's not Halloween that's the problem.
Granted, but back to my original point...

Why have a night for spooks - is it compatible with life in the Spirit, fellow Christians?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Children, and their impressionable minds.

I have a background in the occult, and it's something we don't want our young people playing with.

This is an example of the vague and non applicable answers I get when I ask about the relationship between Halloween the devil and Christianity.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You even saw what version they were carrying? Really?
Honey, I can spot a Kings James version broke-in bible a mile away. True Southern Baptists clutch them raised towards the heavens as thought they could evoke the power of God himself.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Why have a night for spooks - is it compatible with life in the Spirit, fellow Christians?
I think so. Or it's not INcompatible. You're trivializing the spooks by making them into nothing more than a silly children's game. Once upon a time people truly feared those spirits on that night. Since Christ came into the world, they've been reduced to kitsch. There's nothing to fear in the dark anymore.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
There's nothing to fear in the dark anymore.
I totally agree, but kids don't know that.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I totally agree, but kids don't know that.
Unless we teach them.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM

304 posts, read 301,884 times
Quote:
I thought Wicca was a what, not a who, but I'll take your word for it. I'm not claiming any Wiccan expertise. You may wear the I-Know-More-About-Wicca-Than-You-Do crown and I won't try to snatch it from ya!
Wicca is a what. That's why I said Who's wicca. Not what is wicca. I know wiccans that dabble in the occult, demon calling, things of such a nature. I've been to Samhain and Beltane ceremonies with friends. I manned the bbq while they did their thing. Really good people that I visited with except for one drunk that shot a .38 at me after he got drunk. AND they handled him appropriately, although it was sorta a downer on the occasion. I spent many hours discussing with them faith, and things. It's amazing how many shared beliefs we have where mostly pedantics separate us.

Most of my time was trying to UNDO the damage other evangelical type Christians had done to their perspective of God. AND NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEM, went that route, to avoid the hateful, stubborn, evangelicals that they had experienced in their life. I found that ironic. That was the time in my life, I realized that there was more ministry IN the church, than outside of it, and until the innards was fixed, the people outside of the faith won't see God in the Church and the confusion will continue.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:

We have a night to celebrate the dead, those who have passed. I don't consider my deceased family spooks.

My opinion is that it is not against the spirit of Christianity. Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, Easter, which also has roots in Pagan practices. How is Halloween any different. Granted the customary festivities have morphed from the original intent and practices but hasn't Christmas and Easter also?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Wicca is a what. That's why I said Who's wicca. Not what is wicca.
"Who's Wicca" = "Who is Wicca". But I get it--you mean "Whose Wicca", as in who does it belong to.

Quote:
I know wiccans that dabble in the occult, demon calling, things of such a nature. I've been to Samhain and Beltane ceremonies with friends. I manned the bbq while they did their thing. Really good people that I visited with except for one drunk that shot a .38 at me after he got drunk. AND they handled him appropriately, although it was sorta a downer on the occasion. I spent many hours discussing with them faith, and things. It's amazing how many shared beliefs we have where mostly pedantics separate us.
Well, glad you didn't get shot! I do think there is a core truth we all seek no matter what our beliefs are clothed in.

Quote:
Most of my time was trying to UNDO the damage other evangelical type Christians had done to their perspective of God. AND NEARLY EVERY ONE OF THEM, went that route, to avoid the hateful, stubborn, evangelicals that they had experienced in their life. I found that ironic. That was the time in my life, I realized that there was more ministry IN the church, than outside of it, and until the innards was fixed, the people outside of the faith won't see God in the Church and the confusion will continue.
I can agree with that. I had a lot of damage myself from what I experienced in the church I grew up in. It was all focused on hell and death and sin and punishment. Very dark. Won't go into detail here, but that was very harmful to me starting from my childhood, to put it mildly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity