U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
22,068 posts, read 21,826,364 times
Reputation: 21584

Advertisements

Today there was a couple that came to the door (at my work place) carrying their bibles and pamphlets. The gentleman began by introducing himself and his wife and then said they wanted to talk about this upcoming holiday………………………………..HALLOWEEN!!!!!

And asked if I was interested in taking a pamphlet and learning the truth about the evils of Halloween

Now they were very nice and respectful, I told them thank you very much but I already know the truth about Halloween andthey promptly left.

This is not the first time I’ve had this happen and had I not been on the clock I would have liked to hear them out and I’m sure have a debate. It really irritates me when Christians go on these crusades to stomp out the evil trick or treating

I’m wondering how others feel about this as there is nothing in the Bible about Halloween, Halloween is not about Satan and I have been in and out of Church most of my life and never been to a Church that had a problem with celebrating Halloween. What gives with the Halloween haters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
 
794 posts, read 679,764 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Today there was a couple that came to the door (at my work place) carrying their bibles and pamphlets. The gentleman began by introducing himself and his wife and then said they wanted to talk about this upcoming holiday………………………………..HALLOWEEN!!!!!

And asked if I was interested in taking a pamphlet and learning the truth about the evils of Halloween

Now they were very nice and respectful, I told them thank you very much but I already know the truth about Halloween andthey promptly left.

This is not the first time I’ve had this happen and had I not been on the clock I would have liked to hear them out and I’m sure have a debate. It really irritates me when Christians go on these crusades to stomp out the evil trick or treating

I’m wondering how others feel about this as there is nothing in the Bible about Halloween, Halloween is not about Satan and I have been in and out of Church most of my life and never been to a Church that had a problem with celebrating Halloween. What gives with the Halloween haters?
Its the image of Halloween that sets people off. Some believers are just looking for another thing to condemn. I used to celebrate Halloween with my cousin a few years ago by turning our grandma's yard into a haunted spook haven but we stopped doing that about 4 years ago. I think what matters is how you celebrate it. I think most people don't actually worship the holiday. Many people just see it as another reason for a family gathering. That's what we do. I decorate the yard and our family comes over for food and talking. Its like a mini family reunion for us I suppose. I particularly don't like the holiday because it is far too commercialized and of course does give off a bad image. I guess some Christians see it as the devil's holiday which is good enough reason for them to condemn it. Truthfully I think the world would be better off with a different holiday for the end of October but this is the one that happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX
304 posts, read 248,282 times
Reputation: 42
People work really hard to "have knowledge others don't". This way they feel better about themselves and they can preach to others. SOme like to create "things of power" in the Xian faith to show they are something..... I dunno why folks bask All Hallows eve.

It's a Christian holiday.

Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,688,697 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Today there was a couple that came to the door (at my work place) carrying their bibles and pamphlets. The gentleman began by introducing himself and his wife and then said they wanted to talk about this upcoming holiday………………………………..HALLOWEEN!!!!!

And asked if I was interested in taking a pamphlet and learning the truth about the evils of Halloween

Now they were very nice and respectful, I told them thank you very much but I already know the truth about Halloween andthey promptly left.

This is not the first time I’ve had this happen and had I not been on the clock I would have liked to hear them out and I’m sure have a debate. It really irritates me when Christians go on these crusades to stomp out the evil trick or treating

I’m wondering how others feel about this as there is nothing in the Bible about Halloween, Halloween is not about Satan and I have been in and out of Church most of my life and never been to a Church that had a problem with celebrating Halloween. What gives with the Halloween haters?
What religion were they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,747,108 times
Reputation: 39875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Today there was a couple that came to the door (at my work place) carrying their bibles and pamphlets. The gentleman began by introducing himself and his wife and then said they wanted to talk about this upcoming holiday………………………………..HALLOWEEN!!!!!

And asked if I was interested in taking a pamphlet and learning the truth about the evils of Halloween

Now they were very nice and respectful, I told them thank you very much but I already know the truth about Halloween andthey promptly left.

This is not the first time I’ve had this happen and had I not been on the clock I would have liked to hear them out and I’m sure have a debate. It really irritates me when Christians go on these crusades to stomp out the evil trick or treating

I’m wondering how others feel about this as there is nothing in the Bible about Halloween, Halloween is not about Satan and I have been in and out of Church most of my life and never been to a Church that had a problem with celebrating Halloween. What gives with the Halloween haters?
I understand your frustration, but please don't blame all Christians for what a few misguided fundamentalist Christians do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,688,697 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I understand your frustration, but please don't blame all Christians for what a few misguided fundamentalist Christians do
The OP has yet to tell us how he/she decided they were fundamentalist Christians. For all you know, they were conservative pre-Vatican 2 Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Status: "Watching America made small." (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
26,035 posts, read 13,532,419 times
Reputation: 11750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The OP has yet to tell us how he/she decided they were fundamentalist Christians. For all you know, they were conservative pre-Vatican 2 Catholics.
My childhood predates Vatican II and I was raised in a strict, Catholic home.

And never did I hear my parents, teachers (mostly nuns) or priests have anything negative to say about Halloween. We used to knock on the rectory to collect treats from the priest along our route.

I think it's fair to suggest the couple in the OP's post were some variety of fundamentalist Christian. One of my sisters fell into their control and never allowed my nieces to trick or treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,688,697 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My childhood predates Vatican II and I was raised in a strict, Catholic home.

And never did I hear my parents, teachers (mostly nuns) or priests have anything negative to say about Halloween. We used to knock on the rectory to collect treats from the priest along our route.

I think it's fair to suggest the couple in the OP's post were some variety of fundamentalist Christian. One of my sisters fell into their control and never allowed my nieces to trick or treat.
You're making assumptions. I know there are some pretty conservative traditionalist Catholics that probably hate Halloween. I agree that it isn't likely to be some of them, but for all you know it's very probably one of the pseudo-Christian cults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,774,109 times
Reputation: 32351
I've never even heard of a pre-Vatican II Catholic not celebrating Halloween. My childhood neighborhood was jam-packed with devout Catholic families. The kids went trick or treating and the parents celebrated by having a good stiff drink. Or three.

Halloween wasn't heavily condemned until 25-ish years ago when the fundamentalists started having "Happy Fall Y'all" festivals at church in lieu of trick-or-treating. They were also the ones telling parents not to let their kids dress as witches or ghosts or anything they considered satanic. I started seeing the lists of "good costumes - bad costumes" then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,688,697 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never even heard of a pre-Vatican II Catholic not celebrating Halloween. My childhood neighborhood was jam-packed with devout Catholic families. The kids went trick or treating and the parents celebrated by having a good stiff drink. Or three.
Think Mel Gibson "pre-Vatican II". I mean the ultra-conservative folk that only approve of the Latin Mass.
Quote:
Halloween wasn't heavily condemned until 25-ish years ago when the fundamentalists started having "Happy Fall Y'all" festivals in lieu of trick-or-treating. They were also the ones telling parents not to let their kids dress as witches or ghosts or anything they considered satanic. I started seeing the lists of "good costumes - bad costumes" then.
OK? Good. But again, I ask....how do you know what religion the folks that knocked on the OP's door are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top