Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The next verse reveals he coveted. When he heard what Jesus said, he got sad and walked away. I agree we all need some work in this area.
Not being willing to give up what he had is no indication of coveteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM

304 posts, read 301,884 times
pre·sump·tion [pri-zuhmp-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the act of presuming.
assumption of something as true.
belief on reasonable grounds or probable evidence.
something that is presumed; an assumption.
a ground or reason for presuming or believing.

ex·e·ge·sis [ek-si-jee-sis] Show IPA
noun, plural ex·e·ge·ses [ek-si-jee-seez] Show IPA .
critical explanation or interpretation of a text or portion of a text, especially of the Bible.

eis·e·ge·sis [ahy-si-jee-sis] Show IPA
noun, plural eis·e·ge·ses [ahy-si-jee-seez] Show IPA .
an interpretation, especially of Scripture, that expresses the interpreter's own ideas, bias, or the like, rather than the meaning of the text.

bone·head [bohn-hed] Show IPA Slang.
noun
a foolish or stupid person; blockhead.
adjective
being of, by, or for a stupid or unthinking person: a bonehead mistake.

These are the words for the day...

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not being willing to give up what he had is no indication of coveteousness.
It is, because the Bible teaches that our money belongs to God, and we are just managing it, but if you just want to keep it to yourself, then you are guilty of coveting. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
bone·head [bohn-hed] Show IPA Slang.
noun
a foolish or stupid person; blockhead.
adjective
being of, by, or for a stupid or unthinking person: a bonehead mistake.

These are the words for the day...
It's refreshing to see you stop by to call other posters stupid.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
It is, because the Bible teaches that our money belongs to God, and we are just managing it, but if you just want to keep it to yourself, then you are guilty of coveting. Wouldn't you agree?
No, coveting is wanting something you don't have. Find another word, he broke no law.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I didn't call you a bonehead.

I didn't say you were eisegetical either.

If I thought you were being totally stupid I'd call you stupid. I'd then show WHY I used the word. I would apply the word to you specifically, with an incidence to support the use of the word.I would then explain what would NOT have been stupid. That way if I made a mistake, I can be shown to be a bonehead/stupid, whatever.

I've had to admit I was wrong on things about 7 times in the last two days alone. Tell me Finn Jabber, when was the last time YOU admitted you were wrong?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I didn't call you a bonehead.

I didn't say you were eisegetical either.

If I thought you were being totally stupid I'd call you stupid. I'd then show WHY I used the word. I would apply the word to you specifically, with an incidence to support the use of the word.I would then explain what would NOT have been stupid. That way if I made a mistake, I can be shown to be a bonehead/stupid, whatever.

I've had to admit I was wrong on things about 7 times in the last two days alone. Tell me Finn Jabber, when was the last time YOU admitted you were wrong?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, coveting is wanting something you don't have. Find another word, he broke no law.
'Covet' works fine, as I explained, but "greedy" and "selfish" are good too. IMO the purpose of the words was to expose the stumbling block this young man had on his path. He did not was qualified to be one of the people sitting on the twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. The apostles were not perfect either, no one can be, but they were close enough, and had given everything they have, even their lives, so they will sit on the thrones.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
'Covet' works fine, as I explained, but "greedy" and "selfish" are good too. IMO the purpose of the words was to expose the stumbling block this young man had on his path. He did not was qualified to be one of the people sitting on the twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. The apostles were not perfect either, no one can be, but they were close enough, and had given everything they have, even their lives, so they will sit on the thrones.
There is nothing biblical to provide any support for your claim without you presupposing/assuming/imagining things.

I'd like to hear your comments on what Telioo means here, or whatever derivative it is here.

How does that affect the meaning when you read it as mature, not perfect.

How does the description of the man being forced to become a Pauper by Christ, and the beattitude blessed are the poor in spirit where Poor describes a Pauper fit into your view?

Doesn't it make a lot more sense, that Jesus didn't "LOVE THE YOUNG MAN" as much or close to as much as He did Lazarus AND LET HIM WALK OFF TO DIE? Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. Preventing the death would be a LIKE action.

Now, please, answer the points here before you tell me how it is. Show me it was not a mistake to take you off ignore please. and btw, you are henceforth called JABBER by me. ONLY because it's funny, and I just now realized that WASN'T what it said.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
[quote]So I've heard.

Show me in scripture how that is a better take than what I presented.

I'd contend that is presumption that is NOT stated in scripture.

I guess from my point of view (of course it's an interpretation) I'm trying to simplify the 'essence' and perhaps conclusions of the text with regard to the fairly well-to-do fellow. Nothing wrong with wealth or making moolah but if that's one's 'God' well it's off the track. Christ I think wants the person who makes it his 'God' to wake up from the 'pride' as previous poster finely noted that holds one back in the spiritual life. Those who are 'poor in spirit are kind of on the mark. Just my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity