Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you folks believe God wants us to worship?

Why would God want us to worship him (or her)?

I don't get it.

What is the point? Tradition? Following each other like sheep?

What does God want from us?
Yes--Because he alone is worth worshiping. It glorifies him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM

293 posts, read 249,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Really

Does this god need glorification?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Mike3 View Post
Really

No. He has no need from anything outside of himself.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Mike3 View Post
Really
Quote:
No. He has no need from anything outside of himself.
This sequence is very confusing, Vizio. It seems contradictory. How do you reconcile it? What makes you think we can add anything to God's glory?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This sequence is very confusing, Vizio. It seems contradictory. How do you reconcile it? What makes you think we can add anything to God's glory?
He is omnipotent and does not "need" anything from us. But it does bring glory to his name when we worship him. He doesn't need it...but he does command it. We don't "add" glory to him--but we do glorify his name among men when we worship.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
He is omnipotent and does not "need" anything from us. But it does bring glory to his name when we worship him. He doesn't need it...but he does command it. We don't "add" glory to him--but we do glorify his name among men when we worship.
Why does he command it if he doesn't require it?

Seems rather childish and petulant. He wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Why does he command it if he doesn't require it?
Ask him. Maybe he'll tell you.

Why does he forgive the likes of you and me when we sin against him? For the life of me, I don't know--other than that he wants to show his love and mercy.
Quote:
Seems rather childish and petulant. He wants to have his cake and eat it too.
That's your opinion. Good. I take that and a dollar to Kwik Shop I might get a cup of coffee.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Oh well . . . I tried. As long as your focus is on obedience to God you will miss the whole point. Worship does nothing FOR God. It is NOT for God. It is for US. It is what it does to our state of mind that is valuable. "Be still and know that I am." By focusing on "love of God and each other" we produce the state of mind in our consciousness that is "in tune" with God's and Christ's consciousness (Holy Spirit). That is its purpose. Glory is a human fabrication of the ego.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Ask him. Maybe he'll tell you.

Why does he forgive the likes of you and me when we sin against him? For the life of me, I don't know--other than that he wants to show his love and mercy.

That's your opinion. Good. I take that and a dollar to Kwik Shop I might get a cup of coffee.
The usual, substantive reply.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Yes, God does not only want, but expects His children to worship him. It's not tradition, it's praising Him for our very lives..for each breath He gives. It's to receive instruction, comfort in times of need. Almost half of the Psalms (songs) are of worship and praise. God wants our love for Him, our obedience and reverence. We do not follow each other like sheep, but we DO follow Christ as sheep! He is "The Good Shepherd" and says "My sheep know my voice".

Why would God demand and expect worship? It sounds vain and God cannot be vain.

Could be the worship only benefits the people doing the worship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity