U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 AM

9,872 posts, read 6,742,053 times

Advertisements

Do you folks believe God wants us to worship?

Why would God want us to worship him (or her)?

I don't get it.

What is the point? Tradition? Following each other like sheep?

What does God want from us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM

452 posts, read 573,566 times
Yes, God does not only want, but expects His children to worship him. It's not tradition, it's praising Him for our very lives..for each breath He gives. It's to receive instruction, comfort in times of need. Almost half of the Psalms (songs) are of worship and praise. God wants our love for Him, our obedience and reverence. We do not follow each other like sheep, but we DO follow Christ as sheep! He is "The Good Shepherd" and says "My sheep know my voice".

Beloved, if you want to know what God wants from you, specifically, ask Him. Spend some time in prayer and worship and ask Him to reveal His will for you.

The Power of Praise and Worship: The Power of Praise & Worship (excellent article which explains exactly what happens when we praise our God)

John 4: 23-24 "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."

James 5:13 "Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise."

Hebrews 13:15 "Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name."

Ephesians 5:19-20 "speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;"

Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 AM

304 posts, read 247,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I don't get it.

What is "WORSHIP" in your eyes?

That's a word with a myriad of definitions depending on the speaker.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM

473 posts, read 616,560 times
This is what true worship is to me.

Be willing to do as He did--teach,clothe, house, feed, heal and protect all you can while giving thanks that you have the body, strength and wisdom to do so. While at the same time realizing that who you are loving is also Him.

Yeshua Bless You

Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Status: "An English arse is stalking me." (set 6 hours ago)

16,367 posts, read 8,910,346 times
We should worship God because He deserves it, and because He is our great and loving creator.

Matthew 4

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”

Hebrews 12

28 Since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.

Psalm 99

5 Exalt the Lord our God
And worship at His footstool;
He is holy.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 AM

21,903 posts, read 16,717,502 times
Quote:

In the interest of absolute truth. God recognizes His perfection and right to be worshiped by those whom He created. And God has created us for His glory. He is worthy of all praise and glorification.
Revelation 5:13 And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, ''To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever.'' 14] And the four living creatures kept saying, ''Amen.'' And the elders fell down and worshiped.
Quote:
I don't get it.

Deuteronomy 6:13 "You shall fear only the LORD your God; and you shall worship Him and swear by His name.

Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"

Luke 4:8 Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"

Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,179,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post

Be willing to do as He did--teach,clothe, house, feed, heal and protect all you can while giving thanks that you have the body, strength and wisdom to do so. While at the same time realizing that who you are loving is also Him.

Yeshua Bless You
I agree, Sheila. The one passage that makes sense of worship to me is Rom 12:1-2:

"Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice ... this is your spiritual worship."

Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post

Yeshua Bless You
Well, we agree on something.

And since you said Yeshua and not Jesus, it's even MORE true.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree, Sheila. The one passage that makes sense of worship to me is Rom 12:1-2:

"Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice ... this is your spiritual worship."
OR the one that says, we are His instruments (tools) of Righteousness. We are the tool HE loves the rest of the world through.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:12 PM

25,856 posts, read 13,436,135 times
Quote:
Nope.

Quote:
Only gods invented by men require worship. Since obeisance was required by their earthly kings, emperors and rulers, they decided their god must require even more. Because men have egos, they think their god must have one - only larger and more difficult to satisfy.

Quote:
To treat each other and other living things with respect. And maybe little appreciation would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity