U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM

304 posts, read 247,677 times

Advertisements

Can you give a biblical reason why:

A celibate homosexual is or is not a sinner?

A virginal homosexual is or is not a sinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 PM

473 posts, read 617,088 times
The Bible merely speaks of the ACTS of homosexuality---not about the person themselves. The only reference to mankind in general is that all are created equal, judged equal and all found guilty. (Leviticus 18:22) The number one thing that always comes to my mind is judge not--on any issue, since all are fallen--judge not lest ye be judged. And, all sins will be forgiven man except the blaspheming of the holy spirit---don't hurt or harm others or God will hurt you. (2 Thess 1:6, Romans 12:17)

In Matthew 19:12 it speaks of eunuchs that are born that way and eunuchs that are made that way by others
The word eunuch could sometimes mean impotent or celibate and MIGHT have been a reference to homosexual men.

We are supposed to forgive all mankind but teach the right way, love them but leave judgement to God. We don't have to pay for their sins, just our own. Tell them is all we are allowed to do and then love them anyway. We love other sinners. I love myself and I can't stop loving someone who won't listen to my advice and keeps sinning--I can avoid them.

Last edited by Sheila Renae; 10-03-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,501,366 times
Biblically, both fornication and lust are sins. But there is a distinction between lust and attraction. Lust is a persistent dwelling on the desire in one's mind.

So yeah, you can be celibate and still sin.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,653,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Can you give a biblical reason why:

A celibate homosexual is or is not a sinner?

A virginal homosexual is or is not a sinner?
God made male and female. The Bible really doesn't recognize the idea of an orientation. Having said that, lusting after anyone, male or female, is a sin. God wants more than just our obedience--he wants our hearts.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
The Bible merely speaks of the ACTS of homosexuality---not about the person themselves. The only reference to mankind in general is that all are created equal, judged equal and all found guilty. (Leviticus 18:22) The number one thing that always comes to my mind is judge not--on any issue, since all are fallen--judge not lest ye be judged. And, all sins will be forgiven man except the blaspheming of the holy spirit---don't hurt or harm others or God will hurt you. (2 Thess 1:6, Romans 12:17)

In Matthew 19:12 it speaks of eunuchs that are born that way and eunuchs that are made that way by others
The word eunuch could sometimes mean impotent or celibate and MIGHT have been a reference to homosexual men.

We are supposed to forgive all mankind but teach the right way, love them but leave judgement to God. We don't have to pay for their sins, just our own. Tell them is all we are allowed to do and then love them anyway. We love other sinners. I love myself and I can't stop loving someone who won't listen to my advice and keeps sinning--I can avoid them.
That's the best answer a forum like this has EVER given me.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Biblically, both fornication and lust are sins. But there is a distinction between lust and attraction. Lust is a persistent dwelling on the desire in one's mind.

So yeah, you can be celibate and still sin.
Ok, that's a different issue, unless you assume a homosexual intrinsically lusts the same sex all day long every day.

AND lust would be a different sin. I should have worded it better... I meant the homosexual sins... if they are celibate or virginal but still homosexual would THAT put them in sin or not... If they lusted, that's a different sin issue.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Thanks glad I could help a little.

Yeshua Bless You

Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God made male and female. The Bible really doesn't recognize the idea of an orientation. Having said that, lusting after anyone, male or female, is a sin. God wants more than just our obedience--he wants our hearts.
I didn't ask about lusting, I asked about the homosexual sins.

"homosexuality is a sin" is something the church screams LOUD AND PROUD these days.

So if a homosexual is celibate or virginal are the guilty of the homosexual sin?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM

And speaking of eunuchs

Isaiah 56:3-5--Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”; and let not the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.” For thus says the Lord: “To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.

And can anyone tell me how many people it's referring to here? It makes it sound as if a female was called a eunuch then the female became a male. I know I read it wrong, but the wording is strange.

Acts 8:26-29--Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is a desert place. And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.”

Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,501,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Catalyst View Post
Ok, that's a different issue, unless you assume a homosexual intrinsically lusts the same sex all day long every day.

AND lust would be a different sin. I should have worded it better... I meant the homosexual sins... if they are celibate or virginal but still homosexual would THAT put them in sin or not... If they lusted, that's a different sin issue.
You're moving the goalposts now, so I'll clarify my earlier answer...

You originally asked if a celibate homosexual was still a sinner. Since we are all sinners in some way or another, I assumed you meant sexual sin. So a person who feels attracted to the same sex but does not act on it, mentally or physically, has not committed a sexual sin.

If, on the other hand, they are lusting after someone, they have committed a sexual sin. However, they have not committed a "homosexual" sin, if by that you mean physically having intercourse with someone of the same sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity